Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have become a regular user of Portland's radio broadcasts. Kinda listen to it late night while staying busy with other things. Really dig that team, Bjusgstad and Petan in particular - wish we had drafted them....

Pouliot has not been scoring much during the Winterhawks' 11 game winning streak (2 points in the last 6 games), however the announcers have been complimentary of the overall improvement in his defensive game. Have not heard much about physical play though.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Agreed on Perchurskiy having a chance in the NHL, looked good in the one NHL game he played (he was 16/17, I think). He was a victim of the junior system as he'd have taken up an import spot and most teams didn't want to waste that spot on a goaltender.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm starting to become a bit of a Jarry fan. He's performing like this at 18, he's as big (though not quite as athletic) as Fleury, loves to handle the puck and his biggest plus has been his mental calm. He's a few years off but THAT sounds like a recipe for success.

Can't believe I'm getting excited about a goalie prospect for the first time in my life.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I still wanted Juuse Saros. He's small but i could have crossed my fingers that he grew to 6 feet or 6 foot 1. He was 5 foot 8 at the draft, Nashville site has him at 5 foot 10, so i guess he is growing? he could be a stud, he dominates the finnish league. If Jarry ends up being the best goalie of that draft then i'm cool with that.

Jarry Jarry Jarry! The Jarry Springer Show.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Agreed on Perchurskiy having a chance in the NHL, looked good in the one NHL game he played (he was 16/17, I think). He was a victim of the junior system as he'd have taken up an import spot and most teams didn't want to waste that spot on a goaltender.

Why does he not want to come over? isn't he on the KHL's AHL league?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why does he not want to come over? isn't he on the KHL's AHL league?

I think it's just a case of wanting to be more comfortable playing the same role in his home country than in a foreign land. If Pechurskiy does wind up taking his game to another level I fully expect him to come over...but I think his experience struggling to get ice time when he came over soured him on the toils of junior/minor league hockey. The Penguins couldn't have offered him the starting job in WBS when he went back (well they could have, but it would have been silly as he wasn't anywhere near good enough to be more than a part-time ECHLer) and I really think that was the only way he would have considered staying.

I'm of the thought that anything Pechurskiy gives us in the future is a nice bonus because I don't expect him to come back over...but I also firmly believe he has the capabilities of elevating his game to the level where he damn well could come over and have some success. He's just going to be pushing 30 when that happens. He's 23 and he's still never played more than 40 games in a season...and he may be lucky to get 12 in this season.

FWIW he's Metallurg Magnitogorsk's back-up now, appearing in just 4 games thus far (2.30 & .914).

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Murray picked up his 3rd shutout of the season, stopping 26 shots in a 3-0 win. He's now 1st in the OHL in GAA and Sv%. Jarry is 1st in GAA and 4th in Sv% in the WHL.

Hartzell made his second start with Wheeling yesterday. He had 32 saves in a 3-2 SO loss.

Goalies everywhere all of a sudden.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Murray picked up his 3rd shutout of the season, stopping 26 shots in a 3-0 win. He's now 1st in the OHL in GAA and Sv%. Jarry is 1st in GAA and 4th in Sv% in the WHL.

Hartzell made his second start with Wheeling yesterday. He had 32 saves in a 3-2 SO loss.

Goalies everywhere all of a sudden.

Jarry 2 shutouts in a row, Murray with a shutout. We got shutouts coming our of our goalies ying yangs. Huzzah!

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I believe the WHL hasn't announced another goalie they plan on taking to the subway super series, and Jarry is certainly making a case for himself.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Sundqvist with 2 goals when sweden u20 beat the czeck u20.
I think this is the last camp before the final camp where the play canada, fjnland, and the us. Sweden usually dont bring as many as canada to that camp. So this weekend are pretty important.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 4m
First look at PIT 2013 pick Dane Birks. Solid puck moving 6'3'' defenseman, has offensive tools.

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/398913890555158528

i'm guessing that he's watching the WJAC?

from a few days ago:

Mitch Robichaud ‏@MitchRobichaud 5 Nov
Dane Birks with an assist and key defensive play on the SH breakaway is the early fav for player of the game imo, still 2 periods! #WJAC2013

https://twitter.com/MitchRobichaud/status/397827177325924352

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
And just as I was typing about how impressed I have been with Rust's development the last 1.5 years he scores an absolute beauty. This kids' confidence is shining right now. I've been fairly optimistic with the Pens forward crop in the NCAA especially since their development has been as evident as theirs (Archibald, Wilson, Rust). Throw in Guentzel and Blueger it's a decent group, but is overlooked because of their projected ETA to the NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And just as I was typing about how impressed I have been with Rust's development the last 1.5 years he scores an absolute beauty. This kids' confidence is shining right now. I've been fairly optimistic with the Pens forward crop in the NCAA especially since their development has been as evident as theirs (Archibald, Wilson, Rust). Throw in Guentzel and Blueger it's a decent group, but is overlooked because of their projected ETA to the NHL.

Nonsense, all we have are defensemen and plugs.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Rust projects to be a plug more or less, IMO.

Agreed. If he can add a touch of offense to that, that's a bonus and may be the difference of what puts him on this team or not versus other guys he'll be competing with like Macaroni, etc.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Players develops at different rates and production isn't everything, obviously, but Rust put up goals and points at a better pace as a 20 year old than Megna did as a 21 year old.

But I only have stats to go on regarding college players, so that's probably not worth much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad