Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Yeah I know. It was just a weird time back then. I mean...it wasn't hard for any prospect to look good on that 2005 team...they were garbage.

also before widespread stream availability and twitter. little to do besides extrapolate after seeing a game. either way, wont be the last time someone is way wrong about a prospect.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
also before widespread stream availability and twitter. little to do besides extrapolate after seeing a game. either way, wont be the last time someone is way wrong about a prospect.

That'd be a great (albeit meaningless) thread though. Way off prospect reports.

I mean...look at any of the board voted top 20 lists...they are all hilarious in retrospect.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't knock jmelm too much for that report. I remember that training camp and Biz actually looked pretty good on D and he nearly made the team out of camp. It's more a case of a prospect having an abnormally good training camp as opposed to a terrible scouting report.

Besides, he's one of the few guys around here that will give his take on prospects and players based on actually watching them play. Obviously he's not going to be right 100% of the time (no one is) but that's what he saw so that's what he wrote. If you want to rag on anyone rag on Biz...he's the one who's play plummeted so much that he was converted into a 4th line plug.

You could go back and quote terrible reports I've posted too...doesn't mean they weren't right at the time.

Yeah I know. It was just a weird time back then. I mean...it wasn't hard for any prospect to look good on that 2005 team...they were garbage.

Thanks IIWR. It's cool that you were at that camp, too! That's the one thing I wish I could go see every year, time or location permitting. And yes, that was a brutal team, so even guys that were half decent stood out, and it also made the guys you expected/hoped to look great (i.e. Stone) seem that much more disappointing. It's also implicit that when you're watching an intra-camp scrimmage and practices, this is VERY different than watching real games. The sheer excitement from seeing Crosby on the ice for the first time and seeing Lemieux there with him had people buzzing and everything appearing a little rose-tinted.

The one player I was most disappointed and wrong about that ever was drafted by the Pens was Salmonsson. I saw him at the WJCs, and he looked very much like what Magnus Paajarvi looked like a few years ago at the same age. I'm not sure what it was that prevented this player from becoming an impact player -- he was a highly regarding prospect who had great size/skill/speed, so I imagine it was desire or between the ears. But our drafting and development, though still not in the top tier now, was particularly poor at that time in our history.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I remember being at that camp. (I think my write up was in a different thread, if I did one, can't remember.)

EC was killing it in the scrimmages. But you have to also to take into account that there was very little hitting taking place.

That was the first time I saw Sid, and I remember thinking how small he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad