Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't know about the rest of it... but this is pure fantasy.

Say what you want about Despres... but his talent level is much higher than Orpik's. That alone makes me doubt the rest of your argument.

And speaking for myself... I trust Orpik every bit as much as a furious, frustrated and completely off-his-game Malkin in the defensive zone, the last two seasons. I figured that was plain enough for anyone to see who watches the games. He's more or less phoning every game in.

I miss typed, it should read that Oprik IS NOT as talented.

And i agree sometimes Orpik phones it in, he has said he saves it for the playoffs, which is another reason im not worried about Orpik. Not only will he be in position but he will also be going full tilt.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
you're really obnoxious

and wrong

Obnoxious maybe,

Wrong, Nope.

Comfirmation biases and group think. Its not bo be unexpected from the vocal minority of any fan base especially one on a prospect website board. Still doesnt change the fact.

But let me guess, Orpik is a bum and Despres is Gods gift to hockey.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Obnoxious maybe,

Wrong, Nope.

Comfirmation biases and group think. Its not bo be unexpected from the vocal minority of any fan base especially one on a prospect website board. Still doesnt change the fact.

Orpik is a mediocre d-man. Despres is a better hockey player.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
you realize you are doing the exact same thing, right? Except nobody anywhere agrees with you.

Well theres a notable difference, i have no agenda regarding Despres or his play. I want him to be as good as everyone esle but i will not let that cloud my vision regarding his play. Also fun fact is that i would gladly trade Orpik to acquire a rental winger because i belive the difference in play between Orpik and Despres would not fall off and a winger would improve the team. Im just not willing to go overboard to prove a point.

Just like im not willing to ***** hammer Dupuis because he's better suited for the 3rd line. That point can stand on it own, you dont need to rip Dupuis to highlight that. Just like trading Orpik for forward help would make the team bettter overall. The point can stand on its own. No need to talk down a fine defenseman or talk up a rookie to strmake the argument stronger.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sitting Orpik and playing Despres would make us a better hockey team. You disagree. That's fine. I just think you are wrong.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Orpik is a mediocre d-man. Despres is a better hockey player.

Despres has more talent but he makes mental mistakes. Orpik is less talented but is always in position and makes phyiscal mistakes.

No reason not to trade Orpik because it would make the team better by getting a winger. No reason to trade him just to trade him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Despres has more talent but he makes mental mistakes. Orpik is less talented but is always in position and makes phyiscal mistakes.

No reason not to trade Orpik because it would make the team better by getting a winger. No reason to trade him just to trade him.

Orpik makes mental mistakes all the time. He makes stupid passes and loses coverage multiple times a game. If anything, his mental mistakes are what kill his game, not physical.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sitting Orpik and playing Despres would make us a better hockey team. You disagree. That's fine. I just think you are wrong.

Thinking Despres is better is fine, he has tons of more talent and definetly the higher upside anytime he is on the ice. Acting like Despres has been anywhere near "great" this season is disengenuous unless it is qualified by the term "for a rookie".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thinking Despres is better is fine, he has tons of more talent and definetly the higher upside anytime he is on the ice. Acting like Despres has been anywhere near "great" this season is disengenuous unless it is qualified by the term "for a rookie".

He's been better than several players playing above him. That's enough to be upset that he's sitting.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Orpik makes mental mistakes all the time. He makes stupid passes and loses coverage multiple times a game. If anything, his mental mistakes are what kill his game, not physical.

Any defenseman makes the occasional mental error but Orpik problem is he's lost half a step and cant hit his partners stick with a pass to save his life this year. Also doesnt help that his partners have been rotated more than a Disney World turn style since Martin went down.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Any defenseman makes the occasional mental error but Orpik problem is he's lost half a step and cant hit his partners stick with a pass to save his life this year. Also doesnt help that his partners have been rotated more than a Disney World turn style since Martin went down.

Orpik makes more mental mistakes than any of our d-men except Letang. Definitely more than Despres.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He's been better than several players playing above him. That's enough to be upset that he's sitting.

For Engellend absolutely, no reason to be sitting Letang, Maata, Niskanen or Martin for him. And whjile he is more talented than Orpik or Scuderi they are both proven playoff performers and we will need then to be good to go in the playoffs. There is a reason winning coaches like Babcock, Blysma etc go with vets over youngsters unless the force there hand. Despres just hasnt quite done that. And thats nothing against him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well of course they aren't now and we'll never know if that would have been true or not. All I'll say is that teams do in fact win with young players on their roster. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Those young players don't have to be exactly what Scuderi is. Look at Boston last year and how well they did during the playoffs with 3 young defenseman.

Scuderi is a great defenseman... that we absolutely didn't need. We needed and still need help up front a whole hell of a lot more.

You need a mix of old and young. If you have the opportunity as a GM to add a guy who has been an integral part of teams getting to Cup finals 3 times and winning 2 for less than 4 million a year...you do it every single time and never think twice about it. I don't care who is coming up prospect wise. That's some serious leadership and experience on and off the ice.

I also think Shero saw that calming force that Scuds was on Doughty and thought that is something that could help Letang take another step to be the player we all want him to be. Scuderi and Martin will be the two pillars going forward here the next couple seasons, and hopefully young guys start being laced throughout the blue line after this season.

How likely is that to happen though?

We shall see. I'm not going to crucify Shero right now for re-signing Orpik when he hasn't re-signed him. People have a "prove me wrong" mindset with Shero, and I'm not entirely sure why. He has let players who were just as important as Orpik walk before. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't do it again.

Obnoxious maybe,

Wrong, Nope.

The fact is this team was better with Orpik not playing. That is fact.

If you think Orpik is always in position then you aren't watching the same games as I am. And I am a guy who doesn't think it's right to trade Orpik.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Orpik makes more mental mistakes than any of our d-men except Letang. Definitely more than Despres.

Sure if you completely ignore Despres'

When was the last time Oprik was out of position like Despres in Vancouver? Orpik might make small mistakes that add up here and there. But he doesnt hand teams breakaways.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For Engellend absolutely, no reason to be sitting Letang, Maata, Niskanen or Martin for him. And whjile he is more talented than Orpik or Scuderi they are both proven playoff performers and we will need then to be good to go in the playoffs. There is a reason winning coaches like Babcock, Blysma etc go with vets over youngsters unless the force there hand. Despres just hasnt quite done that. And thats nothing against him.

We just disagree on how bad Orpik has been.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sure if you completely ignore Despres'

When was the last time Oprik was out of position like Despres in Vancouver? Orpik might make small mistakes that add up here and there. But he doesnt hand teams breakaways.

No but he does turn pucks over at very inopportune times that end up in the back of our net.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Orpik handed someone a breakaway like two games ago. He made one of the dumbest spin move looking turnovers I have ever seen in my life and gave up a clean breakaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad