Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguin Salary Thread: TDL - 7 Days.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If you want to throw out on pace, that hurts Hagel because Hagel has never played in enough games in a season to even hit 30 points.
I mean, I agree. I think Hagel's catching lightning in a bottle this season. It'd be a mistake for a team in our position to grab him when our big need is a significant injection of offensive ability, not another probable 3rd liner for an astronomical price. Tampa can afford to throw caution to the wind because Hagel doesn't need to be exceptional for them. He'd have to be exceptional for us, and I don't think he is in any facet of the game.

Like Boeser; I'm not real high on, but at the very least he brings an absurdly dangerous shot. We're not gonna find a perfect pick up. Boeser's not very fast and kinda bad defensively, but we have all the swiss army knife guys in the world to play opposite him and handle all the grunt work. If he has the hockey IQ to find the soft spots on the ice and utilize his shot, that'd be a boon. Not sure I'd pay anything around the price Hagel got though.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't even know what the Pens should do, to be honest. Standing pat sucks shit and pretty much dooms an already extreme long-shot to do anything in the playoffs. We're 100% losing at least one of Rust and Letang this summer--potentially both if Letang wants to test the FA waters and Montreal has the chance to talk to his camp/offer their absurd contract. Pretty much the last go 'round.

It'd be boring and all that, but I'd probably begrudgingly understand if we stood pat and tried to swing a bigger deal in the off-season or at the draft. Prices are always obnoxious at the TDL and when relatively nondescript guys are fetching multiple 1sts and decent prospects, you probably gotta back off and look to make a move in the off-season at that point. I'd be fine throwing the kitchen sink at a legit gamechanger, but I don't know if any are available, and I don't think our "kitchen sink" is anything close to what other teams could pony up. :laugh: As much as it'd suck to punt on probably the final hurrah of the era, it's whatever.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't even know what the Pens should do, to be honest. Standing pat sucks shit and pretty much dooms an already extreme long-shot to do anything in the playoffs. We're 100% losing at least one of Rust and Letang this summer--potentially both if Letang wants to test the FA waters and Montreal has the chance to talk to his camp/offer their absurd contract. Pretty much the last go 'round.

It'd be boring and all that, but I'd probably begrudgingly understand if we stood pat and tried to swing a bigger deal in the off-season or at the draft. Prices are always obnoxious at the TDL and when relatively nondescript guys are fetching multiple 1sts and decent prospects, you probably gotta back off and look to make a move in the off-season at that point. I'd be fine throwing the kitchen sink at a legit gamechanger, but I don't know if any are available, and I don't think our "kitchen sink" is anything close to what other teams could pony up. :laugh: As much as it'd suck to punt on probably the final hurrah of the era, it's whatever.
If I am Letang and have 3 cups already I am testing the market like Lindholm. Show Me The Money! careers are short, i'd go for the $$$.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If I am Letang and have 3 cups already I am testing the market like Lindholm. Show Me The Money! careers are short, i'd go for the $$$.
Pretty much. You have an extremely finite window to cash in as much as absolutely possible when it comes to professional sports. I know he's not hurting for cash by any means, but the difference between $7.5 million AAV for three year here, and $9.5 million AAV for four or five years in Montreal is pretty staggering. You're not talking a difference of $2 million a season, you're talking like double the total dollars.

Letang would be a dipshit to prioritize his friendship with Sid and Geno over that kind of monetary difference. Like you said, he's got his Cups, he's got his memories and legacy. Ride off into the sunset in your Brinks truck full of gold bars. I think he's at least seriously considering going to the open market or else he'd already have re-signed. In Geno's case, I think he's a lifer and the fact that his deal hasn't been signed doesn't mean nearly as much because it's a foregone conclusion.

(Fwiw, I think both Geno and Letang stick around, for better or worse. I'm not super stoked about paying Letang the kinda money he'll command with how bad he's been this last little bit.)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is a perspective more GMs need to understand.

Seeing this thought makes me more willing to trade a 1st if it means the Penguins will get a pick back.

Kapanen, POJ and a 1st for Garland and a 3rd may seem like an overpayment on paper, but you're maintaining the same amount of draft picks while using an expendable piece to upgrade at RW. That is better than trading Kapanen, POJ and a 2nd for Garland, even if that package is less valuable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is a perspective more GMs need to understand.

1) Until GMs agree on this, it's not true because the 1st has a lot more trade value, and so will the player picked with it.

2) I'm dubious on the idea from raw talent alone. Pick 32 is usually worth 2.7 GSVA over the first 7 seasons by the Athletic's model; pick 99 is worth 0.5. Schuckers' work from back in the day has pick 32 as worth 2.4 times more than pick 99, which is less than the Athletic version but not exactly small. I can't find other value charts right now but from memory they say roughly the same thing.

Yeah, Tampa usually pick great late and haven't killed it with their last 1sts so this probably works out okay for them... but for most teams, probably not so much.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pretty much. You have an extremely finite window to cash in as much as absolutely possible when it comes to professional sports. I know he's not hurting for cash by any means, but the difference between $7.5 million AAV for three year here, and $9.5 million AAV for four or five years in Montreal is pretty staggering. You're not talking a difference of $2 million a season, you're talking like double the total dollars.

Letang would be a dipshit to prioritize his friendship with Sid and Geno over that kind of monetary difference. Like you said, he's got his Cups, he's got his memories and legacy. Ride off into the sunset in your Brinks truck full of gold bars. I think he's at least seriously considering going to the open market or else he'd already have re-signed. In Geno's case, I think he's a lifer and the fact that his deal hasn't been signed doesn't mean nearly as much because it's a foregone conclusion.

(Fwiw, I think both Geno and Letang stick around, for better or worse. I'm not super stoked about paying Letang the kinda money he'll command with how bad he's been this last little bit.)
I think he stays but I am not Letang. I don't care much about loyalty to a job if I can get a pay increase on another job, i'll take that job especially if the company (team) throws me a blank check. Gotta think about yourself and your future.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Hagel has a cap hit of 1.5 miilion for 2.5 more seasons. That is INSANE value.
Boeser has a qualifying offer of at least 7.5 million in the summer. I know which play I'd prefer...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think he stays but I am not Letang. I don't care much about loyalty to a job if I can get a pay increase on another job, i'll take that job especially if the company (team) throws me a blank check. Gotta think about yourself and your future.
Pretty much. f*** loyalty to bosses, and the whole comradery thing about practicing/playing with your boys every day ain't worth $30 million.

Reactions: 66-30-33

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Marek and Friedman briefly suggest Nick Leddy could be a late target. But Friedman echoes something Seravalli said earlier today, which is that the Penguins like the chemistry and the sum of their parts and don't just want to tinker.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Marek and Friedman briefly suggest Nick Leddy could be a late target. But Friedman echoes something Seravalli said earlier today, which is that the Penguins like the chemistry and the sum of their parts and don't just want to tinker.

Is that saying they’d rather swing for the fences or is that saying they’d rather do nothing?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Florida and Colorado are battling it out to finalize a deal for Giroux, which I hope Fletch f***s up. :laugh:

No idea what happens to Paul. I think he's a guy you land in addition to a bigger offensive weapon if you're the Pens. On a team with offensive guys covered, he could be a nice depth guy I guess. No real interest in Paul if he's the only real move we make though, none whatsoever.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Alright, I've stopped giving a shit about scanning twitter for rumors/trades. Hopefully something good falls into our laps, because I don't want Hextall to really go out there and try to throw his weight around with the kind of players available and the going rates for some of these dummies. Not that I expect he would, but y'know.

Gearing up for one final "what could possibly go wrong" playoff appearance with all our eggs in the GCR+Jarry basket again. Hell yeah, brother. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille