Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguin Salary Thread: TDL - 7 Days.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
but they weren’t cheap …they had already been paid…and Kap, while 23 as well, had played many years in the NHL at that point…I didn’t have problem paying what we did for Kap btw…they were hoping he’d turn into more…he didn’t…Zucker was the worst deal…older player, not a reasonable contrast, and nothing special
Kap's price absolutely sucked. :laugh: He was a guy the entire hockey world knew would be Toronto's cap casualty and our GM, enamored by the fact that he drafted Kap and the lineage going back to Sami and his time with the Canes, paid an absurd price to land a guy that was a 3rd liner then, and continues to be a 3rd liner, when he's not struggling so badly he's healthy scratch territory.

At least Zucker was a season removed from a 33g, 64pt season when we got him.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
id be VERY hesitant giving up our 1st round picks in 23 and 24. i mean... We wont stay good forever

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our need is a goal scorer like Boeser.
we need a scorer, which Hagel is rn because he’s shooting 20%…Boeser imo is overrated…Sully is not gonna play someone who cant play away from the puck…we have to find a well rounded player, like JT Miller, Bertuzzi etc

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hagel isn't going to make a difference for this team. They need a difference maker if they're paying that price.

Tampa can justify paying this because they have all of their difference makers already, they can splurge on luxury depth pieces because they have Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, Hedman, McDonagh and such.

I mean I’d prefer Miller, Bertuzzi and a bunch of top echelon players but they aren’t available…I would’ve paid our first this year and a couple prospects for Hagel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even know that I'd say Hagel is a Kapanen caliber player, either. Kapanen had multiple seasons on pace for 45+ points and was a 20 goal, 50 point 2nd liner in his first 80 games with the Penguins. With Hagel, he didn't even have a 40 point pace last season and is riding a super unsustainable shooting% this year. Look at their respective 5v5 points/60, Kapanen (1.90 5v5 points/60 from 2018-2020) outproduced Hagel (1.74 5v5 points/60 from 2020-2022) by a fair bit before the trade. Hagel's expected production this year is basically identical to what he produced last year.

Tampa Bay just paid basically double the price the Penguins paid for Kapanen just because Hagel was having a great year and was on a super cheap contract.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thing about Hagel is, once you assume his shooting percentage returns to normal, what would he add here? We've got a lot of middle six/bottom six all situations forwards who are good off the puck and compete hard despite their size. Yeah, can never have enough good cheap contracts... but player wise he's oil to Texas, and saying we should get a contract like his without spending his trade price is kinda "all our bad players for all your good ones".

Tampa lost a ton of depth due to the cap. We might grumble about ours but theirs was really bad. They had to do that. We didn't. Guys like Hagel are guys you try to make yourself or grab from the bargain bucket, unless you reach the very last moment with everything but one of those.

He's an okay prospect that projects to be a decent bottom-6 forward. I don't see why it's necessary to make such extreme declarative statements like "he sucks".
If I didn't know better, I'd say Gurgs is bored :naughty:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
we need a scorer, which Hagel is rn because he’s shooting 20%…Boeser imo is overrated…Sully is not gonna play someone who can play away from the puck…we have to find a well rounded player, like JT Miller, Bertuzzi etc
You think Boeser is overrated but you'd willingly pay big assets for Hagel? I'm not over the moon with Boeser either, but he's got a shot that'd instantly be the best on our team. Hagel's another middling swiss army knife having an outlier season.

Bertuzzi also reeks of another guy having a career season. I've never been impressed with him in the past, and as we all know from the Ponikarovsky lesson, points have to come from somewhere on bad teams. Bertuzzi's gonna land Yzerman a haul if/when he's moved this TDL or at the draft and Yzerman's gonna take his haul and run away laughing.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not to nitpick but "on pace" stuff makes me wanna claw my eyes out. Unless it's a genuine top tier player, meaning a guy who is consistently good across the course of any given season, on pace stats can kick rocks. Guys like Kapanen who pretty routinely go a dozen games without scoring or making any real contributions are not guys where on pace stats matter.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not to nitpick but "on pace" stuff makes me wanna claw my eyes out. Unless it's a genuine top tier player, meaning a guy who is consistently good across the course of any given season, on pace stats can kick rocks. Guys like Kapanen who pretty routinely go a dozen games without scoring or making any real contributions are not guys where on pace stats matter.

If you want to throw out on pace, that hurts Hagel because Hagel has never played in enough games in a season to even hit 30 points.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hopefully Hextall does something. I'd be pissed if the TD goes by and we did nothing...our last shot and pulls a major dud.
On one hand, I agree. On the other, it's like--you don't just make deals to make them. That's the kinda stupid, shoot from the hip stuff JR did. If the prices are outlandish for the guys available, and no teams value our C-tier prospects and ~25th overall 1st rounder, then you can't really do much.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thing about Hagel is, once you assume his shooting percentage returns to normal, what would he add here? We've got a lot of middle six/bottom six all situations forwards who are good off the puck and compete hard despite their size. Yeah, can never have enough good cheap contracts... but player wise he's oil to Texas, and saying we should get a contract like his without spending his trade price is kinda "all our bad players for all your good ones".

Tampa lost a ton of depth due to the cap. We might grumble about ours but theirs was really bad. They had to do that. We didn't. Guys like Hagel are guys you try to make yourself or grab from the bargain bucket, unless you reach the very last moment with everything but one of those.

If I didn't know better, I'd say Gurgs is bored :naughty:

I'm actually procrastinating because someone killed themselves at my workplace today and I don't really feel like working.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess we all can agree that our FO is doing shit after seeing these prices for players lol….

Could be.

Then again, it could be all the early buyers are paying premiums, and once those are done, there'll be players that teams still want to move and a far smaller market, and that's when the bargains will come. I mean, the great thing about today for us is that's Tampa off the table as a buyer on forwards, and they did it while taking a target who didn't have to move. I'm too lazy to look it up/work it out, but how many teams are there still looking for forwards? Calgary are probably done, Tampa are probably done, Toronto seem mainly linked with dmen, have to imagine Boston want a C and not a W if they move, etc.etc.

Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You think Boeser is overrated but you'd willingly pay big assets for Hagel? I'm not over the moon with Boeser either, but he's got a shot that'd instantly be the best on our team. Hagel's another middling swiss army knife having an outlier season.

Bertuzzi also reeks of another guy having a career season. I've never been impressed with him in the past, and as we all know from the Ponikarovsky lesson, points have to come from somewhere on bad teams. Bertuzzi's gonna land Yzerman a haul if/when he's moved this TDL or at the draft and Yzerman's gonna take his haul and run away laughing.
The guy on Detroit I want is Vrana but that aint happening.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia