OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
There's that one guy on SC that makes me cringe because his Boston accent is so thick. It is the most grating accent I've ever had to listen to for an hour.

This was the exact reason I wasn't into the podcast earlier. I ultimately decided to deal with it as the rest of the podcast, particularly the interviews, is excellent. Kind of gotten used to it, the pod would have been insufferable if the B's had won, thankfully that didn't happen.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
Not only is RA's accent terrible, he always puts the brakes on when he asks a question. Someone will be telling an awesome story (usually non-hockey) and RA will instantly ask a boring hockey question. I understand its technically a hockey podcast, but I'm more interested in the more personal stories these guys have to tell.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not only is RA's accent terrible, he always puts the brakes on when he asks a question. Someone will be telling an awesome story (usually non-hockey) and RA will instantly ask a boring hockey question. I understand its technically a hockey podcast, but I'm more interested in the more personal stories these guys have to tell.
Most of them rip on him and his stupid bruins bias.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
how is tim benz so prolific at the trib. his terrible content is unrelenting

Because Tim Benz is basically a chatbot fed on old Bob Smizik columns.

xpHPKY-Q.jpg

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm just still mystified at how much Kingerski just plain gets wrong.

But I'd put Smizik up there as GOAT worst Pittsburgh sports media person, at least the worst in the last 50 years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm just still mystified at how much Kingerski just plain gets wrong.

But I'd put Smizik up there as GOAT worst Pittsburgh sports media person, at least the worst in the last 50 years.

If your initials are DK and you work in the Pittsburgh sports media, it’s your calling in life to compose as much speculative BS as possible...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If your initials are DK and you work in the Pittsburgh sports media, it’s your calling in life to compose as much speculative BS as possible...

Dejan's not even that bad. And like I said, it's not that Kingerski necessarily makes things up (though he gets REALLY testy when you insinuate that he does on HF), it's that he reports things after they've already happened and still gets them wrong.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dejan's not even that bad. And like I said, it's not that Kingerski necessarily makes things up (though he gets REALLY testy when you insinuate that he does on HF), it's that he reports things after they've already happened and still gets them wrong.

I think Dejan writes too much gossipy stuff, like on Phil...I don’t really like those hit pieces...
I think Kingerski thinks he has sources, but he either doesn’t or they know nothing...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Catty gossip is easy to spot for what it is, but it takes a special kind of idiot to respond 15 minutes late to breaking news only to get it all wrong, especially when you're already on social media, reading the official reporting on it. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve probably mentioned this but one time at the Civic Arena Tim Benz sat next to me, and for some reason he could only muster nosebleed section “limited view” seats with an I-beam holding up the upper deck right in his lap. You couldn’t see anything without craning your neck around it. He kept getting up and walking away and this group of drunk guys behind him would hit on whoever the girl he was with was while he was gone. One used the beam like a stripper pole. Then when the crowd would chant “Let’s go Pens!” everyone around him would chant “Li-mited view!”

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I love the new barn and the stability (and actual ability to make some money) it provides. But MAN I miss that old opera house.

The Civic Arena was a mess, but goddamn it, it was OUR mess. :laugh:

I miss the character of the old arenas. The new ones are all practical and sensible and financially stable, but they don't have the same vibe.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Civic Arena was a mess, but goddamn it, it was OUR mess. :laugh:

I miss the character of the old arenas. The new ones are all practical and sensible and financially stable, but they don't have the same vibe.

I agree. It was like that dingy, hole-in-the-wall bar that you kept going to because even though it was kind of a shithole it was YOUR shithole and was still a hell of a lot of fun.

I don't at all regret how things are. But I agree that there isn't much character to the new building or really any of these new buildings. They feel like... I dunno... Omaha, Nebraska.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really don’t think there’s a “media” member in Pittsburgh I can’t stand more than Kingerski. What an absolute fraud.
:laugh::laugh:I am his faithful subscriber, his only mission is to stick it to the fans, whatever is conventional wisdom opinion he is on the opposite side, he is like MM in that sense, but I swore to follow him a few years back he was the only guy that took the trip to Detroit on a xmas eve to report on Pens game (or was it a new year eve), I am a sucker for those kinds of think,...he has uncanny ability to get just about everything wrong:laugh:

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Those awesome old barns where the crowd is sitting like right on top of the ice and everything is packed sucked when they came to logistics but I love buildings that amplify the noise through the architecture.

Same reason I really hate Heinz Field. Everything is so much farther away and opened up that it doesn’t retain sound...besides the fact it looked out of date the day they opened the place up. At least PPG is an extremely nice building.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t know why they made some of the concourses so narrow at PPG. It can be a real pain navigating during intermissions.

I don’t know if I miss the Civic arena or just those teams from the 1990’s. I do like the amenities in the club seats much better now and the boxes are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad