OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
He makes them money, they only fire people that are replaceable.

Not true. An old boss was the PD of the sports talk station in Jacksonville. He made that station relevant and brought in a lot of money. He was still fired. I'm glad I got out of radio (choice may not have been mine, but regardless) but I know a lot of people caught in the iHeart firings. None of them are ones I would call expendable or people who didn't make them money.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Anyone catch Kingerski's stuff this week? Was fairly surprised he actually had a legit Pens source feeding him stuff. Nailed Kahun & Marleau trades well in advance.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Kingerski celebrating getting something right:

giphy.gif

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Internet radio works, but man, as soon as boomers die off, actual radio broadcasts are going to be insanely unprofitable.

Perhaps, but as a boomer myself, I hope it doesn't happen for a long time. Hard to imagine not having any kind of viable local media at all.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I swear the most entertainment I get out of Madden’s show is when a caller goes after him.

Guy refers to him as “fat boy” and he immediately loses it, daring him to come down to where he works and he’ll kick his ass. Then despite being the one making the threat, he’s the one who calls the caller a telephone tough guy/Twitter tough guy, talks loudly over him and hangs up. You’re never going to “win” that argument with him but it’s amusing to me how worked up he gets.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Perhaps, but as a boomer myself, I hope it doesn't happen for a long time. Hard to imagine not having any kind of viable local media at all.

Local media will still be there, but more online, I think. It’s cheaper to make, for one. Secondly, while radio will still be there (if for nothing else than to have the infrastructure in place for a war or disaster), I think we’ll see more and more stations being turned into basically the same conglomerate stations, without much regional identity.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Local media will still be there, but more online, I think. It’s cheaper to make, for one. Secondly, while radio will still be there (if for nothing else than to have the infrastructure in place for a war or disaster), I think we’ll see more and more stations being turned into basically the same conglomerate stations, without much regional identity.

Same as Newspapers, honestly.

The Newspaper industry is going to converge into a few big guys (NY Times, WSJ, WashPo, LA Times, SF Chronicle) that maybe have local sections online for smaller cities like Pittsburgh. There will be Pittsburgh-based news as well but it'll be more interest-group driven - like the Pittsburgh Business Times.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Madden is a window into the psyche of a certain generation of yinzer, that’s for sure.
I mean that said, I do think once he’s gone he just won’t be replaced.

If they try the “Crowl Man” (Adam Crowley) then lol, just lol.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Given Madden's physical characteristics, his audience will certainly outlive him. He's already had one heart attack.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Oh no doubt RR. Madden’s a dying breed, but, not to sound cruel or harsh, so is his audience.
Given Madden's physical characteristics, his audience will certainly outlive him. He's already had one heart attack.
Both true, though a younger demographic tunes in too. Don’t think many of them, no matter the age, would be willing to flip over to Crowley or Tiny Tim Benz (who’s filling in today yikes)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
One thing I find a little weird is that local sports coverage has had no success translated into podcast format. Local anything really hasn't. I suppose it's a combination of sports being time-sensitive and topical (there's a lead time on podcasts making it onto iTunes et al) and the difficulty of publicizing a thing regionally. The overhead of podcasting is next to nothing and can be recouped with a single moderate-sized sponsorship, so that's definitely not the issue.

Reactions: vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One thing I find a little weird is that local sports coverage has had no success translated into podcast format. Local anything really hasn't. I suppose it's a combination of sports being time-sensitive and topical (there's a lead time on podcasts making it onto iTunes et al) and the difficulty of publicizing a thing regionally. The overhead of podcasting is next to nothing and can be recouped with a single moderate-sized sponsorship, so that's definitely not the issue.

Time is a factor, but honestly I think the audiences are just demographically different for both technologies. Explaining DVR or podcasts or Spotify to my uncles is like speaking Sanskrit. :laugh:

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad