OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Found this interesting.
I'd say to Kyle Palmieri to demand to be traded here so he doesn't have to pay it. Heh.

Pro athletes, players’ unions seek to halt Pittsburgh ‘jock tax’ | TribLIVE.com

Essentially, the pro athletes that don't live in the city limits and come in to play feel they are getting unfairly taxed.
I assume all the guys here live within the city limits yea?
And what happens to guys like Lafferty, AJ, Blandisi, etc.?

They'd probably have to pay it yea or does the team find a loophole where they can say they are a 'Burgh resident?
Cuz that would really suck for them specifically.
Perhaps why Scott Wilson is one of the players in the suit.
To the first bolded, probably not. "City Limits" is really only the city of Pittsburgh itself so it'd only include guys who live downtown or in the South Side. I don't think many guys live in the eastern part of the city. I think a majority live in the Cranberry area, or Sewickley if you're Sid/Geno.

For the second bolded, they're probably fine. The article says, "Members of the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins pay the tax if they live outside city limits." The callups are probably staying in the hotel near the arena when they're here, and regardless their permanent address is definitely not here. If anything the majority of full-time rostered guys (the ones who live in Cranberry/Sewickley) WOULD have to pay it.

That's a stupid tax, really.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pretty sure Maatta lived in Shadyside (in the city limits) considering the amount of times I ran into him. I know Kessel lived near the practice arena. Crosby has a few residences and actually has a place downtown.

I'm sorry. :laugh:

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wonder why Sid has multiple places ...

I'm assuming it's if he wants to enjoy the city restaurants and bars or to show them off to others (recruitment tactics perhaps). He has the money. I saw him out with Hornqvist and (I think) Clendenning a few summers ago. He probably has extra rooms for others to crash at.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
We've moved on but Maatta owned a condo in Piatt Place downtown. That's where that famous photo of him passed out drunk after one of the parades was from.

Also I research property records for work sometimes and sometimes when I was bored I would look up local athletes and other people of note. And it wasn't creepy either.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We've moved on but Maatta owned a condo in Piatt Place downtown. That's where that famous photo of him passed out drunk after one of the parades was from.

Also I research property records for work sometimes and sometimes when I was bored I would look up local athletes and other people of note. And it wasn't creepy either.

That makes sense. And him going to the Shadyside area to get groceries also makes sense since there aren't too many desirable grocery stores in/near downtown.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
This thread died, but I don’t blame you all.

Nothing much new and riveting from Rossi/DK. To DK’s credit I don’t think he’s really had a ton of turnover lately besides the one photographer leaving.

Da Fan is Da Fan. What does one gain by listening to any of those schlubs - Dunlap, Mack, Cook, Starkey, Pony, Mueller, Zeise? All the same to me.

Madden has already whipped up his ol’ anti-Steelers/pro-Penguins narrative trying to compare Juju/Conner to Matt Murray, lol. While pimping all of his soccer team’s wins (who here cares) and still constantly complaining about millennials. Oh his producer Bob got laid off, but I don’t think anyone really noticed or cared, Madden included. He’s probably glad he’s no longer contractually obliged to have him talk on the show for a few minutes.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
This thread died, but I don’t blame you all.

Nothing much new and riveting from Rossi/DK. To DK’s credit I don’t think he’s really had a ton of turnover lately besides the one photographer leaving.

Da Fan is Da Fan. What does one gain by listening to any of those schlubs - Dunlap, Mack, Cook, Starkey, Pony, Mueller, Zeise? All the same to me.

Madden has already whipped up his ol’ anti-Steelers/pro-Penguins narrative trying to compare Juju/Conner to Matt Murray, lol. While pimping all of his soccer team’s wins (who here cares) and still constantly complaining about millennials. Oh his producer Bob got laid off, but I don’t think anyone really noticed or cared, Madden included. He’s probably glad he’s no longer contractually obliged to have him talk on the show for a few minutes.

I do think the media here is making way too big a deal out of the Bronx cheers for Murray. Madden & Rossi have successfully turned something relatively small into a huge drama. I'm sure Murray doesn't appreciate it, either.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Da Fan is Da Fan. What does one gain by listening to any of those schlubs - Dunlap, Mack, Cook, Starkey, Pony, Mueller, Zeise?
The Fan’s show format is so bad. I mean, hooray advertising dollars I suppose, but holy shit. It’s constant ad reads and interruptions throughout each and every show. It’s so hard to listen to. And you can tell most of them have no clue about hockey, particularly the morning show dummies. They never dive into a game or a sequence, it’s always some gimmicky topic that they’ll talk about. That station really blows. And what’s everyone’s obsession with Bob Pompeani? He seems like the biggest bonehead in the world, and everyone acts like he’s the king of Pittsburgh media. I’ve never understood that.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
And what’s everyone’s obsession with Bob Pompeani? He seems like the biggest bonehead in the world, and everyone acts like he’s the king of Pittsburgh media. I’ve never understood that.
He seems like a decent enough guy, good family man. But boy do we get him and his family shoved down our throats these days.

And I get your point, one of the most awkward exchanges I remember hearing once when I was over my dad’s and he had the radio on was Eric Hagman going on to Pomp about how great he was and Pomp responding with some BS complimenting him too, something along the lines of “the way you condense all those updates is great!”

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I always got Pompeani mixed up with Fedko.

Fedko actually retired from sportscasting and became president of Vincentian Academy if you know where that is.

Kind of bananas, but apparently something he really wanted to do.

Not sure if he’s still there, was several years ago and the first and last time I heard his name since the mid 90s TBTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad