OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Out on 19? Vincentian was one of my cousin’s alma maters. Of course, I was allowed nowhere near the place. :laugh:

Ya right off McKnight road and up Peebles.

My best friend actually convinced me to go to Vincentian with him our freshman year.

The dumb ass got kicked out half way through the year for jumping out of a closet and scaring an 89 year old nun when we were in study hall.

She had to be taken to the school nurse because they thought she was having a heart attack, but thankfully she was fine.

So I finished out the year and transferred to the school I originally intended on going to.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Draw of Pompeani is that a) nobody has any reason to dislike him and b) he'll work a lot. Guy like, say, Paul Zeis, who will also work a lot, puts off Pirates true believers big time (in my view, they do need a reality check on what the Pirates really are, but a program director or station manager doesn't think that way about a subset of viewers/listeners).

Reactions: HandshakeLin

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Meh. Unless you're eating according to the food pyramid (in which case, you likely have type II diabetes...note that diabetes medication and tools are advertised on the website telling you it's healthy to eat the sh*t they're telling you to eat and ask yourself what the motives of those pimping this diet actually are), "accepted" health science should be taken with a grain of salt (particularly when a dying, sensationalistic, easily-mislead media gets ahold of it and makes it into a big thing). So much of commonly-accepted health information relies on fraudulent foundational studies bought by some corporation or another. Just this month, the AMA claimed that corporate interests colluded to try and suppress a study saying red meat had many health benefits and was, with the exception of an increased risk of colon cancer (depending on what else you're eating), basically safe or even desirable.

I don't have any issue with Steigerwald citing people who say the brakes need to be pumped on any particular health panic, even if I think his evidence is far less persuasive in this one instance than the Chicken Littles like Chris Nowinsky (whom I believe to be generally right about football/concussions, if a bit over-the-top). When the crux of your argument revolves around Mike Webster--who was living in his car and barely knew his own name for the last couple decades--not fitting the criteria for CTE, the most that proves to me is that it is possible that football causes neurological problems distinct from and in addition to CTE.

Still, shutting down questions like "is this 'pain undertreatment' crisis actually bullsh*t" has done incalculable human damage, far in excess of what football's lies about concussions have done. I would classify Steigerwald's article as belonging in this sort of skeptic tradition, even though I think he and Merrill Hoge are mostly wrong.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nutrition science is barely a science, and while neuroscience is still in its infancy, it's lightyears ahead of what little we actually know about nutrition (and I repeat, we barely know anything beyond the broadest sketches at this point). Comparing the two does an immense disservice.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
He seems like a decent enough guy, good family man. But boy do we get him and his family shoved down our throats these days.

Not his whole family. They have managed to wholly dispense of Bruce, who's not been heard of for at least a decade. I wonder if he ever found work again.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Not his whole family. They have managed to wholly dispense of Bruce, who's not been heard of for at least a decade. I wonder if he ever found work again.
Well, it’s mostly Celina who is young and attractive.

Bruce is older and was allegedly a creep.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Summarizing the daily Mark Madden show for those who miss it:

-Yelling at callers and going on about how everyone loves him in public and no one will come after him in person

-Constant ranting about how bad Juju and James Conner suck - “I’m better at my job than them, I do more for the city, they’re millennial punks” blah blah blah.

-Same boring interviews with the same boring people

-Occassional flexing about his soccer team

And yet there’s nothing better in town sports talk related. Not saying much.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Radio is ending. I Heart Media had an internal massacre 3 or 4 weeks ago, including a ton of on air talent (mostly out of market). Madden should be happy just to have survived it.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Summarizing the daily Mark Madden show for those who miss it:

-Yelling at callers and going on about how everyone loves him in public and no one will come after him in person

-Constant ranting about how bad Juju and James Conner suck - “I’m better at my job than them, I do more for the city, they’re millennial punks” blah blah blah.

-Same boring interviews with the same boring people

-Occassional flexing about his soccer team

And yet there’s nothing better in town sports talk related. Not saying much.
BULLSHIT He was at steelcitycon years ago to see Reb Beach who was signing autographs & I called him Flounder McHeartattack & Jabba the Talk Show host to his face, he started his tough guy shtick & I said fine lets go outside & settle it p***y !! & he threatened to get security & call the cops if I followed him outside. That is your Hero in real life Troll Boy

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
BULL**** He was at steelcitycon years ago to see Reb Beach who was signing autographs & I called him Flounder McHeartattack & Jabba the Talk Show host to his face, he started his tough guy shtick & I said fine lets go outside & settle it ***** !! & he threatened to get security & call the cops if I followed him outside. That is your Hero in real life Troll Boy

If Rossi Rat is a troll, they're not a very inflammatory one, so this level of aggression seems weird.

Reactions: Turin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would you brag about insulting someone to their face? I mean sure, Madden's a jagoff that probably deserves it, but bragging that you called him a tub of lard to his face and tried to pick a fight with him doesn't make you look like the good guy here :laugh:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Radio is ending. I Heart Media had an internal massacre 3 or 4 weeks ago, including a ton of on air talent (mostly out of market). Madden should be happy just to have survived it.

He makes them money, they only fire people that are replaceable.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He makes them money, they only fire people that are replaceable.

Like I said, radio is ending. Soon it'll move on from laying off people who are inefficient to laying off people who are expensive and replacing them with a syndicated show to lower costs. Then an automated system. Then just nothing.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I don't think local radio is going to go poof. There's still advertising dollars being spent on that medium, albeit less than before. Madden and his ilk are safe for the time being. Local tv sports shows are gone, and the physical newspapers soon will be. The local medium to survive will be radio, because for now the economic model still works.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Highly recommend you folks all follow Alan Saunders for hockey takes. Great hockey mind.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think local radio is going to go poof. There's still advertising dollars being spent on that medium, albeit less than before. Madden and his ilk are safe for the time being. Local tv sports shows are gone, and the physical newspapers soon will be. The local medium to survive will be radio, because for now the economic model still works.

Internet radio works, but man, as soon as boomers die off, actual radio broadcasts are going to be insanely unprofitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad