OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Anyone been following the Madden vs Colin Dunlap twitter feud?

I'll have to go and read it as I was not aware, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some weird stunt. For a long time and even well after Madden started making fun of The Fan, he would tweet compliments about Dunlap's work (which blows my mind, but that's another topic). Unless something changed, I always assumed they were friends or at least respected each other's work and that Dunlap was the only one he kind of gave a pass to while he lambasted the station as a whole.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Yeah. Is this sort of thing common in other media markets?

OT, but most of the 93.7 talent is trash. How anyone thought Ron Cook should be on the radio is beyond me; the man has a voice made for the silent screen, and opinions to match. MM has a shtick that is tiresome at best, but at least he knows hockey, and is tolerable on football.
I have no clue if it happens elsewhere. I don’t really follow any other cities.

But you’re right about the fan. There’s only 1-2 guys I can put up with on that station. The rest of it is just total garbage, and the format of their shows is absolutely terrible. 5 minute segment, 5 minute advertisement (read by the hosts...like WTF, shouldn’t they be talking sports and not be shills), commercial, update, repeat. And it seems like half the time during their segments they are BSing about irrelevant crap. It’s a terrible sports talk station, too bad it’s the only full-time one in town.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I have no clue if it happens elsewhere. I don’t really follow any other cities.

But you’re right about the fan. There’s only 1-2 guys I can put up with on that station. The rest of it is just total garbage, and the format of their shows is absolutely terrible. 5 minute segment, 5 minute advertisement (read by the hosts...like WTF, shouldn’t they be talking sports and not be shills), commercial, update, repeat. And it seems like half the time during their segments they are BSing about irrelevant crap. It’s a terrible sports talk station, too bad it’s the only full-time one in town.

It speaks to how there was obviously a demand for some kind of 24-hour local sports station here I guess, because it really does suck but they seemed to get a decent amount of callers up 8-9pm at least. Madden was still no back on the air when they started I think, and ESPN Radio was a shit show.

As far as the updates and ad reads, in the past I've also heard the hosts do the weather reports (seriously).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Sara Civian, despite covering the Hurricanes for the Athletic, can’t help but constantly express her hate for the Penguins/Pittsburgh because of her experience with DK I guess.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sara Civian, despite covering the Hurricanes for the Athletic, can’t help but constantly express her hate for the Penguins/Pittsburgh because of her experience with DK I guess.

I mean, I just checked her twitter and she only had one tweet about the Penguins in the last two days and it was in response to a Pens fan saying they're tired of the Canes "feel good story"

Regardless, disliking DK is par of the course really. I'm amazed he's still going.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I mean, I just checked her twitter and she only had one tweet about the Penguins in the last two days and it was in response to a Pens fan saying they're tired of the Canes "feel good story"

Regardless, disliking DK is par of the course really. I'm amazed he's still going.
Yeah one other tweet was from a week or so ago but I guess to be fair, it was more targeted towards the Penguins media. As for DK, he still has his “lunatics” that keep him afloat, but the growth is done you figure. Feeble attempt right now to get more by slashing his annual subscription price.

I understand any outsiders being sick of the Pens and ready for a new team to come up. It’s sort of like how as football fans we always hope someone else besides the Patriots wins the AFC, but they always do anyway. Except there’s less parity in football and the Brady/Belichick dynasty is absurd.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sara has a very sarcastic sense of humor and seems to enjoy playing into the meme-culture that has overtaken social media. So I wouldn't take anything Pens/Pittsburgh oriented to heart, because it's likely tongue-in-cheek.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Well she is a Penn Stater too, who nabbed a major sports team beat at the Athletic being not that far removed from college, so I have to have a soft spot/respect for her.

And she along with you all can agree DK is a clown... like this tweet today, his reaction to a Pirates reliever not wanting to talk to the media this year:

“Fine by me. Weird dude. Not a great look for the Pirates, though. This guy’s not nearly that good or that important to be making such a call unilaterally.”

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
as someone that enjoys both the highs and lows of the humor spectrum, places like barstool which are basically just offensive intentional shittiness masking itself as low brow humor are particularly galling

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
DK is a cockroach, but at least he's not barstool sports. Which is an incredibly low and sad bar to clear, but there you go.
No doubt. "El Presidente" Dave Portnoy is a shitty human, and it's a joke that so many people made him rich and famous.

The Pardon My Take people can be funny at times though, and don't seem like they are that terrible. But most of the Barstool entity and people associated with it are atrocious.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
DK is a cockroach, but at least he's not barstool sports. Which is an incredibly low and sad bar to clear, but there you go.

I hear Barstool sports getting trash talked a lot, why is that? I find their spittin chiclets podcast with Ryan Whitney and Paul Bisonette to be pretty good, but its the only Barstool sports media i consume admiteddly so i dont hear much of their other stuff.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Yeah. Seems like Whitney and Biz make sure to come off as respectful as a bunch of hockey bros can.

They really do, tho i think some of that is that Whits is still in the employ of the NHL network and i think Biz works for an NhL team (may be the coyotes). Otherwise its great having former pens like them be such ambassadors for the game with their stories and discussions

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
If he's extremely good with investments, sure, I can see that. Just from radio and writing work? And in Pittsburgh? Absolutely not.
Yeah that’s the thing - I don’t question his overall wealth, but the actual income from local radio and a few cheap columns... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad