OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I hear Barstool sports getting trash talked a lot, why is that? I find their spittin chiclets podcast with Ryan Whitney and Paul Bisonette to be pretty good, but its the only Barstool sports media i consume admiteddly so i dont hear much of their other stuff.

Well, they steal content and then try to intimidate the legal content creators into not filing DMCAs by siccing their social media followers on them, for starters. That's pretty much a no-go for me. There's other gross shit too about their business practices, including getting people to sign away their rights to their own work under very suspicious circumstances.

Essentially, they're pretty much just scam artists who happen to luck into some good content. I wish Spittin Chiclets was hosted by someone else, so badly because I've heard good things about it and I like Whitney and Bis as ex-player-media-types. But I've got too much self-respect to give those f***s at Barstool any money. :laugh:

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Well, they steal content and then try to intimidate the legal content creators into not filing DMCAs by siccing their social media followers on them, for starters. That's pretty much a no-go for me. There's other gross **** too about their business practices, including getting people to sign away their rights to their own work under very suspicious circumstances.

Essentially, they're pretty much just scam artists who happen to luck into some good content. I wish Spittin Chiclets was hosted by someone else, so badly because I've heard good things about it and I like Whitney and Bis as ex-player-media-types. But I've got too much self-respect to give those ****s at Barstool any money. :laugh:

Didn't know it ran quite that deep. Guess that and what pixie said before are the reasons why i hear them shit talked so much

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
If he's extremely good with investments, sure, I can see that. Just from radio and writing work? And in Pittsburgh? Absolutely not.

Why, that means he's in the 400k range. Not absurd at all.... He's a one man show, vs most shows that have 2. On top of that he does appearances like twice a month or more during hockey season. He's not doing those for 1k a pop...

As someone who has spent money on radio advertising in the past, I can tell you it's not cheap and they have like 900 commercials an hour.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Mod Warning:
1. No politics means no politics
2. This is the Pittsburgh media thread, please stay on topic.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Is this in relation to the Barstool stuff?
There was a tangent involving politics and media sites that were not Pittsburgh based. This thread is really for just Pittsburgh media, but as long as it's related to the Pens we let some stuff slide. Politics and social commentary are deal breakers. That's not to say those topics and hockey are mutually exclusive, but this isn't the place to discuss them.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Anyway...

I can’t believe that Chris Mueller dweeb on the Fan named his son Lennox.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh I'm disillusioned with much of Pittsburgh sports media these days. Most of them are transplants who don’t really get yinzer perspectives and frankly very few offer any sort of real insight or viewpoints... there are a small handful that I really respect but most of those probably will be retired soon.....

Things like the Brown fiasco with the Steelers exposes so many of them with axes to grind and sometimes as lackeys that will look the other way on a story until its PC to unload it...

I mean I get better takes from messageboards than most of their opinions and talking points, and often their shows and columns mimic those talking points from the major messageboards several days after they are posted.

Maybe its my own internal bias, but I travel a ton, and it seems that sports media in a lot of other venues are more intuitive than a lot of the canned ham we have here...

I mean really, how often do you listen to or read something from PSM that makes you go, “Wow, I haven’t thought of that before!”
When was the last time someone broke a story that clearly wasn’t something the local team wanted getting out? Or at least getting out before they had time to start spinning it?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Cool video with Geno- get some insight into his personality (and mansion). Is it just me or does it look like he's laboring a bit walking around his house? Kinda does look like his ribs are hurt

Do we know when this was filmed? I know when it was posted but are we sure this q&a occurred after he was injured?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Who called it?
From the PGT. So damn predictable. I guess Josh is still aching from the loss of his precious MAF. Especially ironic because that goal had MAF special written all over it, yet that tweet would have been unthinkable for him had it actually been MAF in net.

He takes every opportunity to take a shot at Murray. Lately it has been with this concerned "it's just odd" shtick. Just plain unprofessional.

He needs to get control of his personal feelings. He also was doing his Steve Simmons impression on Phil last Summer and was taking shots at Sprong after the trade.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Cool video with Geno- get some insight into his personality (and mansion). Is it just me or does it look like he's laboring a bit walking around his house? Kinda does look like his ribs are hurt

He makes a pretty self-deprecating comment about his English at 4:35 and I'm like "awwwww Geno, come on it's gotten so much better"

Reactions: KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From the PGT. So damn predictable. I guess Josh is still aching from the loss of his precious MAF. Especially ironic because that goal had MAF special written all over it, yet that tweet would have been unthinkable for him had it actually been MAF in net.

He takes every opportunity to take a shot at Murray. Lately it has been with this concerned "it's just odd" shtick. Just plain unprofessional.

He needs to get control of his personal feelings. He also was doing his Steve Simmons impression on Phil last Summer and was taking shots at Sprong after the trade.

Yohe's whole "I'm actually a big fan of Murray's! I'm just going to point out every single time he lets in a goal and question his play" schtick is getting old.

It would be less insulting if he just admitted he's a Fleury fanboy and hates Murray. Better than pretending he's being "objective" when he's not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

At least Phil and Sprong had some legitimate backing within the org.

If this org is doubting Murray right now f*** them.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
In the context of penguin related stuff in the Chiclets podcast, i'm looking forward to their next episode which features Scuderi. Being that Whitney and Biz played in the dark days with Scuds, im really looking forward to hearing some great stories about those times. Already heard some great ones on the Malone and Orpik guest spots.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
At least Phil and Sprong had some legitimate backing within the org.

If this org is doubting Murray right now **** them.

The org isn't it's fleury thumpers. Murray has had a rough year and still has a better sv% than fleury.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In the context of penguin related stuff in the Chiclets podcast, i'm looking forward to their next episode which features Scuderi. Being that Whitney and Biz played in the dark days with Scuds, im really looking forward to hearing some great stories about those times. Already heard some great ones on the Malone and Orpik guest spots.

They ripped on Gonchar and Whitney pretty hard.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad