Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh claims Arcobello off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kid is a gamer...gotta love the effort and I have read nothing but good things about him. Weird when it's an ex-Oiler that was traded for a guy that was waived then waived himself.

There was one shift in particular early in the second that exemplified Arcobello’s game for me. He fanned on a pass in his own end, leading to a turnover, but aggressively followed the puck and negated his mistake, then led an effective rush for Oklahoma. On that rush, [Barons defenceman] Colten Teubert pinched in, and Arcobello covered for him, effectively blocking out a much larger Texas forward when the puck came out of the zone. There was a comical moment midway through the game when 5’9”, 165-pound Arcobello went for a hit on 6’7”, 254-pound Jamie Oleksiak; Oleksiak braced himself and Arcobello literally bounced off. Arcobello took another try at the same task in the third and somehow ended up getting the best of the exchange.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...guins-getting-with-mark-arcobello-acquisition

He's a rabid little wolverine and I would love to have him in the line-up over Adams and Sill any day of the week. He adds an element to the bottom 6 that is desperately needed now that Beau is in the top 6 where he belongs, he adds a smartness to the bottom 6 with the puck, he's efficient as a player and a solid playmaker. He'd be a guy that could make Sutter more useful since he's more of a shooter and Arcobello is a passer.

Spaling, Sutter, Arcobello - I want to see that line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It knocked Rust off the lineup.

I'm as big of a Rust supporter as anyone, but I want him back in the AHL, the 13 or so NHL games was huge for him, he wasn't supposed to get that taste that quickly but he did because of his hard work. He now goes back having that confidence, experience, and the knowledge of what he needs to work on to make sure he's not someone they want to send back down when he's up again.

He can now go beast mode in the AHL and possibly finish his last year in the AHL strong as he has a great shot at a roster spot next year if he improves on this year.

In any case, this is from 2013 - http://thehockeywriters.com/mark-arcobello-bright-spot-dismal-oilers-start/

Hard not to like this pick-up, it's now just on the Pens to give him the guidance he needs, because anyone that leaves the Oilers, needs a few real NHL practices to re-learn things, the Preds, that wasn't enough time and they're a fairly deep team.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The Usual Suspects (none of whom, I bet, have seen a single frame of this guy playing a single shift) completely blowing an innocuous, zero repercussions waiver claim out of proportion. Mark your calendars people, I'm stunned.

This doesn't preclude us from getting bigger forwards in the lineup down the road. They didn't get Arcobello in lieu of some huge physical beast just in the exact same way they didn't get Klinkhammer in lieu of a top six forward. If a big, physical useful forward is out there to be had along with a deal that makes sense - we can have that too. This isn't a 'one or the other' game here for crying out loud.

With a relatively healthy lineup, Arcobello is still only likely to be our 12th or 13th best forward. Either he's a helpful addition to the fourth line at a notch above the league minimum salary, or he can be waived and passed off to someone else, or go to Wilkes-Barre for the rest of the year, score a bunch down there, and become a free agent at the end of the season. What's the problem?

In any case...

One thing that's somewhat ostensible about Rutherford is that he's clearly got his eye set on bringing in younger players. Outside of Goc and Ehrhoff who are only in their early 30s, every player he's brought in since he got here has been between 25-28.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I predict he's going back on waivers by the end of the month.

I haven't watched much of him, but if they play him Adams' spot I don't even care. I'd keep him after these two weeks...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Okay, so it´s either Scuds with the TOP4 duties OR Scuderi-Bortuzzo as a pair. Still a problem, the point remains.
Jesse Marshall's got a pretty thorough explanation of what Scuds' puck moving responsibilities are in the context of the breakout.

http://thepensblog.com/2015-archives/breaking-down-the-breakout.html

Seems to be a defined job on every pairing. I've noticed Ehrhoff behaves the same way when he's paired with Letang.

Read the article. Scuds isn't supposed to be making breakout passes at all on controlled breakouts. He's not stationed in the correct area of the ice to make them.

What you're complaining about is by design and not specific to Scuderi.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
- Arco had 28 points in 15 games in the AHL Last year before being called up.

- Arco was pacing 40 points as a rookie last year on a terrible edmonton team.

- Arco hits, shoots, and kills penalties with a decent fow%.

This is a great pickup for the oilers. If Sutter goes down he could easily fill in as 3C. Nashville and the Oil were fools to waive him, imo.

penguins2946*

I think Arcobello with Sutter would actually be a pretty good combination for us, their talents mesh well and they're both strong defensively. If we could keep a gritty 3rd line LW with those 2 (Downie works well in that role, Comeau fits that too), I think that line would be pretty productive. Along with that, another positive is Arcobello being a suitable short term Sutter replacement if we decide to move Sutter (until Sundqvist takes that spot). Who knows, maybe he finds his niche here as a 3C behind Crosby and Malkin and we got a long term 3C for free.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
What is the downright obsession this organization has with pint-sized 4th liners? Boychuk, O'Reilly, Connor, etc. It never ends, and has yet to work out.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What is the downright obsession this organization has with pint-sized 4th liners? Boychuk, O'Reilly, Connor, etc. It never ends, and has yet to work out.
first time for everything......may only work 1 time out of 70.....and we are only at no. 55

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The handful of times I've seen him play, he's played really well on a crappy team. On the other hand, he didn't last in Nashville. I think he's definitely a notch or two above the Z. Boychuk/Cal O'reilly/Connor James types. Would seem to be worth a shot with no downside.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario

Speed? I don't know. It's mind blasting. At least Arcobello will throw a hit on occasion. I liked how he played on Edmonton, but it never came to mind that "Wow, this is a type of player that Pittsburgh desperately need."

Didn't see him too much this season. Probably because Edmonton wanted more size down the middle. Arcobello has the mentallity that you want in a player; it's his size is what brings him down. He's better than Adams. No doubt about it.

Is he a player that I want on Pittsburgh's bottom-six? No.

Pittsburgh has tried Bylsma's "hybrid" undersized type fourth-line with Glass, Vitale, and Adams. It failed.

Pittsburgh has tried the speedy undersized fourth-line. It failed.

You know what fourth-line duo was effective? Rupp and Asham.

Here is a list of fourth-lines that are better than Spaling, Goc, and Arcobello (assuming that the fourth-lines around the league stays healthy and aren't moved around):

Washington: Chimera - Beagle - Wilson
NY Islanders: Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Anaheim: Maroon - Thompson - Jackman
Nashville: Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck
LA: Clifford - Lewis - King
St. Louis: Ott - Lapierre - Reaves
Boston: Paille - Campbell - Cunningham
Montreal: Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Ottawa: Condra - Smith - Neil
Tampa Bay: Morrow - Boyle - Connolly
Vancouver: Dorsett - Vey - Hansen
Dallas: Horcoff - Fiddler - Moen
Columbus: Skille - Letestu - Boll
Chicago: Carcillo - Kruger - Smith
NY Rangers: Glass - Hayes - Fast
Florida: Kopecky - MacKenzie - Upshall
Calgary: Bollig - Stajan - Byron
Edmonton: Hendricks - Gordon - Gazdic
Buffalo: Deslauriers - McCormick - Kaleta
Colorado: McLeod - Winchester - Bordeleau

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
When (if) the Penguins get healthy, this move should finally (hopefully) push Adams out of the lineup.

That itself will make the Penguins a better team.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
he's on pace for 16 goals as a 3rd or 4th liner. I'd say that's pretty good.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
he's on pace for 16 goals as a 3rd or 4th liner. I'd say that's pretty good.

Potentially 20 with us*.

...really curious how the Pens will use him.

* within a relatively healthy roster & occasionnaly patching up with the two-headed monster lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad