Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh claims Arcobello off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Based on everything Johnston has said about Adams, even after the practice stuff, why would people think he would be sitting?

Arcobello won't be playing in the playoffs unless a ton of guys get hurt so it really is a nothing move, costs nothing, means nothing.

Farnham was providing some "jam" as Pierre would say, why couldn't they just have kept him?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I like to try and think of things from JR's perspective.

It's obvious to me that he's not pleased with the 4th line right now.
You have Adams going nutty. Sill getting his 1st point in 50 games(or whatever) and a C in Goc who's dying alive. Add to that Rust cooling way off and Megna/Farnham bringing nothing, production wise.

Think he was looking for production period and it didn't matter what package it came in, in this case. JR's gonna give him a shot.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not sure it's been mentioned, but he went to Yale. F27 won't be happy, being a Harvard guy and all. With how crazy he's been lately, Arcobello better watch his back.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I like to try and think of things from JR's perspective.

It's obvious to me that he's not pleased with the 4th line right now.
You have Adams going nutty. Sill getting his 1st point in 50 games(or whatever) and a C in Goc who's dying alive. Add to that Rust cooling way off and Megna/Farnham bringing nothing, production wise.

Think he was looking for production period and it didn't matter what package it came in, in this case. JR's gonna give him a shot.

Makes sense to me except for the dying alive part.

There is only one player in the league who can say that, bet on it. ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Based on everything Johnston has said about Adams, even after the practice stuff, why would people think he would be sitting?

Arcobello won't be playing in the playoffs unless a ton of guys get hurt so it really is a nothing move, costs nothing, means nothing.

Farnham was providing some "jam" as Pierre would say, why couldn't they just have kept him?

Again, Farnham was ass on the boards.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Whats funny is this guy sounds like farnham but is actually half decent at hockey. Yet people are still clamoring for farnham...

Yeah I get it anything is better than adams....which isn't the necessarily the case this year but he's been such a ****** that we just need to get him off the team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Definitely not Farnham. Not as fast or as gritty/pesty.

If i had to compare him to another player it would be Stempniak, sort of.

penguins2946*

There really aren't many comparables to Arcobello. A 5'8", 165 lb winger is already pretty uncommon, but then add the grit and playmaking and you get a really unique player. The closest player I could think of is St. Louis, but Arcobello is drastically worse and has a muffin shot compared to MSL.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Whats funny is this guy sounds like farnham but is actually half decent at hockey. Yet people are still clamoring for farnham...

Yeah I get it anything is better than adams....which isn't the necessarily the case this year but he's been such a ****** that we just need to get him off the team.

Where are you getting that Arcobello "sounds like Farnham?"

If Adams sits for Arcobello I'll...hahaha why even consider this?

May 10, 2010

After coaches and players being full of it in countless interviews why would you put much stock in what they say knowing full well they're not gonna be like "that guy is lazy and a jerk?"

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Where are you getting that Arcobello "sounds like Farnham?"

If Adams sits for Arcobello I'll...hahaha why even consider this?

I know its not a great comparison. But he's small and works hard. Not as feisty, but can actually play hockey at this level. Farnham, everyone is high on the guy but I still dont think the guy is an NHL regular; he even did better than I expected in his time up, but that doesn't mean he belongs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There really aren't many comparables to Arcobello. A 5'8", 165 lb winger is already pretty uncommon, but then add the grit and playmaking and you get a really unique player. The closest player I could think of is St. Louis, but Arcobello is drastically worse and has a muffin shot compared to MSL.

Gallagher is a legit comparison in terms of style of play and size. Gallagher is more gifted offensively though.

penguins2946*

Gallagher is a legit comparison in terms of style of play and size. Gallagher is more gifted offensively though.

It's really hard to find a comparison for Arcobello. He's solid defensively, has good vision, he's a good playmaker and he's gritty. The Gallagher comparison fits because of the size, work ethic and grit similarity. But I don't think Gallagher has Acrobello's playmaking, defensive game and vision, while Arcobello doesn't have Gallagher's goal scoring ability.

I think a playmaking version of Gallagher is the best comparison we could probably get. On that point, I don't really see why the Pens are only viewing him as a 4th liner. He has 31 points in 82 games in his career on a joke of an Edmonton team, which is actually pretty good. Combine that with his defensive game, grit and work ethic and I don't really see why he can't be considered a 3rd liner.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It's really hard to find a comparison for Arcobello. He's solid defensively, has good vision, he's a good playmaker and he's gritty. The Gallagher comparison fits because of the size, work ethic and grit similarity. But I don't think Gallagher has Acrobello's playmaking, defensive game and vision, while Arcobello doesn't have Gallagher's goal scoring ability.

I think a playmaking version of Gallagher is the best comparison we could probably get. On that point, I don't really see why the Pens are only viewing him as a 4th liner. He has 31 points in 82 games in his career on a joke of an Edmonton team, which is actually pretty good. Combine that with his defensive game, grit and work ethic and I don't really see why he can't be considered a 3rd liner.

My guess is that any line with both Arco and Sutter might be too lacking physically to be a reasonable playoff 3rd line.

penguins2946*

My guess is that any line with both Arco and Sutter might be too lacking physically to be a reasonable playoff 3rd line.

The thing is, Arcobello isn't lacking physically. He's really small, but he throws his weight around all the time. I don't see why a line of Downie-Sutter-Arcobello can't work. Even though that line isn't big, both Downie and Arcobello are very gritty. Our 3rd line last year in the playoffs was Bennett-Sutter-Stempniak (most of the time IIRC). This 3rd line is much grittier than last year's 3rd line. Granted, I would much rather see someone like Matt Martin on the other wing with Arcobello, but I'm not going to be upset with a Downie-Sutter-Arcobello line if we go with that.

I also could see a Sundqvist-Arcobello combo working in the future, since Sundqvist is a hell of a lot more physical than Sutter and since both Sundqvist and Arcobello can play center or wing. We'll cross that bridge when we get there though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm pretty certain he will slot onto the third line with Rust being sent back down. The fourth line played their best game of the season the other night and even though that isn't something I see as sustainable, MJ won't break them up for Friday. More importantly, MJ wants a third scoring line. So putting Arcobello with Sutter is more logical than Adams or Sill.

penguins2946*

I'm pretty certain he will slot onto the third line with Rust being sent back down. The fourth line played their best game of the season the other night and even though that isn't something I see as sustainable, MJ won't break them up for Friday. More importantly, MJ wants a third scoring line. So putting Arcobello with Sutter is more logical than Adams or Sill.

Yeah, I know they'll likely put him with Downie and Sutter for tomorrow and likely until both Comeau and Hornqvist are healthy. The only situation where I wouldn't want Arcobello on that 3rd line is if Kunitz and/or Bennett are on that 3rd line, because that would make the line Downie-Sutter-Bennett or Kunitz-Sutter-Downie.

We have a ton of options to run with right now though. Any of Perron, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Bennett, Comaeu and Downie wouldn't look out of place in the top-6 (I'd include Spaling, but I think he's doing so well due to being with beast mode Geno and Bennett). Any of Spaling, Downie, Arcobello and Comeau can play either on the 3rd or 4th line and still be effective. It's a really good problem to have. Personally, I'd go with:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Downie-Sutter-Arcobello
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

That's assuming Kunitz plays without his head being up his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad