Confirmed with Link: PIT (Sheary & Rodrigues) | BUF (Kahun)

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
I read JR's quote as Sullivan wanted Sheary, so JR went and got him: "The coaches felt very strong when his name came up. It would be seamless for him coming back here..."

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this trade is something people are so upset over. We probably couldn't keep Kahun moving forward anyway, and he hasn't really meshed well enough with Crosby or Malkin to justify even attempting to.

He seemed to mesh pretty well with McCann to give you that scoring 3rd line though.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
This trade is so so bad, I don't know what JR was thinking. We won't be able to afford Sheary and Rodrigues anyway, why not keep Kahun and trade him at the draft for a much better return.

Sullivan forced his hand, as he wasnt going to put him in a position to succeed. He didnt like Kahun since day 1, and was healthy scratch when team didnt have injuries. I cant blame JR for this, as Sullivan wasnt going to play him. For whatever stupid reason he loves that Simon, and come hell and high water, he wasnt going to give Kahun proper shot to be top 6 player on this team.

I guess Sullivan got annoyed with Sheary scoring against Pens so much, so he wanted him back lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This trade is so so bad, I don't know what JR was thinking. We won't be able to afford Sheary and Rodrigues anyway, why not keep Kahun and trade him at the draft for a much better return.
Yep, as I said, poor asset management.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this trade is something people are so upset over. We probably couldn't keep Kahun moving forward anyway, and he hasn't really meshed well enough with Crosby or Malkin to justify even attempting to.

You're losing a lot of production by swapping Kahun for Simon and Rodrigues. Maybe it's just a factor of playing for a shit Buffalo team, but there's a big step back there.

I suspect you nailed what the lines will be on Wednesday (except Simon-McCann-Horny).

An interesting thought I had in the other thread, does the Penguins going winger-heavy with these acquisitions mean that McCann may slide back to center? They increased the amount of wingers they had by 2 in total today, with Sheary and Marleau logically getting top-9 spots. I wonder if McCann gets moved back to 3C, because the lineup looks really good with McCann as a 3C.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah i felt from day on the staff didn’t really like Kahun, which is a shame because he brought some scoring potential

irrational move... and it raises the specter that our top line becomes the excessively flawed combo of Sheary-Crosby-Simon

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Seems like people are being awfully melodramatic. Also seems like they don't even know what we're getting in Rodrigues before complaining.

Rodrigues is an excellent penalty killer; he's fast, smart, physical, and tenacious. He just simply can't score to save his life. However, he will be an immediate improvement over the Blandisis and Laffertys and Agozzinos that we have been dressing regularly.

Sheary we all know. Sure, his contact balance might be the worst I've ever seen. But he's going to be an asset for the second power play, and he provides extra scoring depth that we weren't getting from our current bottom line.

The most important thing about this and the Marleau move, is that we can now legitimately roll four lines.

Dominik Kahun is a solid middle six player, but he wasn't an answer on the top two lines, he doesn't play on the power play, and he doesn't kill penalties

Reactions: Trade and harmonica

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not the end of the world or anything but I do think we traded the best player in the deal, both in terms of fit and effectiveness overall. Sheary sucks, and I have no idea who Evan Rodrigues is, but I suppose he's not the forward equivalent of Trotman like some of the other guys we have.

Reactions: Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yeah i felt from day on the staff didn’t really like Kahun, which is a shame because he brought some scoring potential

irrational move... and it raises the specter that our top line becomes the excessively flawed combo of Sheary-Crosby-Simon
Nah, Zucker will still be there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can’t tell if people just hate Sheary or if they’re overrating Kahun. Coaches liked Sheary better, and they got a neat young player with him.

Kahun is dummy overrated on here. Not crazy about the trade personally, but people acting like this is the 2nd coming of Pearson for Gudbranson are just overrating the hell out of him.

Reactions: Turin

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

If that becomes their top line, they are done. Sheary shouldnt be anywhere in top 6 role, but if rumors are true, and Sullivan wanted him, then I am willing to bet that will be #1 line for next game :shakehead

Reactions: canadianguy77

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're losing a lot of production by swapping Kahun for Simon and Rodrigues. Maybe it's just a factor of playing for a shit Buffalo team, but there's a big step back there.

An interesting thought I had in the other thread, does the Penguins going winger-heavy with these acquisitions mean that McCann may slide back to center? They increased the amount of wingers they had by 2 in total today, with Sheary and Marleau logically getting top-9 spots. I wonder if McCann gets moved back to 3C, because the lineup looks really good with McCann as a 3C.

He's sliding to center until Bjugstad comes back, I'd assume.

And one thing I keep going back to . . . no sure fire top 6 guy, but lots of options . . .

Sid: Zucker, Simon, Sheary, Rust (?)
Geno: Rust, Horny, Marleau

A guy goes cold, at least now in theory Sully can make a move (although I don't know that it's necessarily his style to be proactive in that regard, he at least now has better options to do so).

Reactions: Lustaf

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Crapping away assets like there's no tomorrow. There will be hockey in 2021,2022...ect.. I believe. But I'll bet there won't be for JR by the end of next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad