Confirmed with Link: PIT (Sheary & Rodrigues) | BUF (Kahun)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
This is usch a bad trade . Gives up the best player with the highest upside, RFA, and cheap. And we dont even get a pick added? JR sure is losing it. When he fixates on a player he always overpay .

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
TSN loves the trade.

Saying Marleau - McCann - Tanev
is a great dynamic and makes their depth that much deeper and harder to play again.

Sheary they know plays well with Sid / Geno.

TSN loves the trade... kinda makes me think about it....

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
TSN loves the trade.

Saying Marleau - McCann - Tanev
is a great dynamic and makes their depth that much deeper and harder to play again.

Sheary they know plays well with Sid / Geno.

TSN loves the trade... kinda makes me think about it....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm trying to rationalize this trade. Best I've got is this:

1. They wanted top 6 options. Sheary is an option with Sid, like Simon, and they didn't see Kahun as a top 6 option. He never got a look with Sid after preseason, and as I kept saying it was pretty hit or miss with Malkin and Rust. The 'options' now for Malkin and Rust are Horny and Marleau.

2. They were going to have to pay Kahun this summer the type of money that would've only be justified if he were seen by the organization as a top 6 option.

Look, I though he could've worked with Sid. I think the value sucks (e.g., if you're moving him, send him back to CHI for Gust). BUT, this is the best explanation from THEIR perspective that I can fathom.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, more I think on it, I think the reason Kahun went is because how THEY saw his value didn't align with what it was going to cost to keep him.

Last edited:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
My guess is they didn't think they could re-sign Kahun.

That said, why would you trade him now? I like Dominik Simon, but I'd much rather have Kahun at 2-3 years at $2.75M to $3M a season over Simon for 2-3 years at $2.25M to $2.5M, where is about where they're both going to be. So why on earth would you trade an impending RFA, for an impending UFA who you aren't going to be able to afford anyway?

I don't like the trade. I don't care if Sheary had chemistry with Crosby in 2017, he falls down too much. He's less productive than Kahun and he brings a lot less to the table. Evan Rodrigues seems like a depth throw-in, not sure what to make of him. I liked the Marleau trade, but this one is really bad. I don't think it kills the season, but it makes you wonder if Mike Sullivan didn't like Kahun or just liked Sheary more (Which is odd considering he was in Sullivan's doghouse) in 2017-2018. The funny thing is, we trade Maatta for Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues, Sheary was traded to make room for Jack Johnson. So we traded Olli Maatta for Jack Johnson.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
My immediate reaction is that this is a TERRIBLE trade.

However the statheads on twitter seem to think this is a great deal for us.

I'm perplexed.

Reactions: Lustaf

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This trade blows IMO. It also seems to mean Bjugstad is back next year.

Kahun is better than Sheary and younger and under our control. Rodriguesses grow on trees.

It’s obvious the organization wasn’t nuts on Kahun for whatever reason. I mean he is soft and never clicked in the top 6 but his depth scoring was huge and he largely did it on his own.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
A little bummed Kahun never got a real shot with Sid, feel like they could have been great together.

Sid and Sheary WERE great together at one point. Now we have Rodrigues for depth at the very least. But there could be something there with him. He's been on Buffalo forever. He probably feels like a new man. Plus he goes by E-Rod. He's a stud.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
A little bummed Kahun never got a real shot with Sid, feel like they could have been great together.

Sid and Sheary WERE great together at one point. Now we have Rodrigues for depth at the very least. But there could be something there with him. He's been on Buffalo forever. He probably feels like a new man. Plus he goes by E-Rod. He's a stud.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In terms of this actual trade, it's really hard to get a fair opinion. I liked Kahun a lot, and trading Kahun for a pending UFA retread and a depth guy having a bad year feels shitty. On the other hand, the Penguins dramatically improved analytically and both Sheary and Rodrigues fit the system perfectly. It's really tough to support this trade because Kahun is just dramatically more productive than the other 2, but production isn't everything.

Purely on paper, this trade was a 2nd/3rd line tweener for 2 3rd liners. I don't think it's bad from that POV. I also think the Penguins weren't crazy about Kahun for whatever reason, and Sheary and Rodrigues fit the team really well while being terrific analytically. But I just can't ignore that massive production difference, Kahun has as many points as Sheary and Rodrigues combined. Just ugh overall.

Reactions: Lustaf

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I like Kahun alot so I'm kinda bummed about this one. I don't know anything about Rodrigues though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad