Confirmed with Link: PIT (Sheary & Rodrigues) | BUF (Kahun)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But man, this team has just downright absurd depth when healthy:

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Rodrigues-Blueger-Tanev

People kept saying that they wanted another speedster on that 4th line, you got one in Rodrigues. If nothing else, I'm happy Rodrigues is a RFA after the year, although at $2 million, I bet he's not qualified.

I like Kahun alot so I'm kinda bummed about this one. I don't know anything about Rodrigues though.

He's another defensive speedster. I think he's an amazing fit here, just not at the cost of Kahun. I would have preferred to just trade a pick for Rodrigues and keep Kahun.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
Rodrigues-Blueger-Tanev

People kept saying that they wanted another speedster on that 4th line, you got one in Rodrigues. If nothing else, I'm happy Rodrigues is a RFA after the year, although at $2 million, I bet he's not qualified.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This trade blows IMO. It also seems to mean Bjugstad is back next year.

Kahun is better than Sheary and younger and under our control. Rodriguesses grow on trees.

It’s obvious the organization wasn’t nuts on Kahun for whatever reason. I mean he is soft and never clicked in the top 6 but his depth scoring was huge and he largely did it on his own.

If that is true then it double blows.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This is the rare trade that (IMO) makes us worse both short term and long term.

Sheary is worse than Kahun right now, and he walks in the summer anyway and I doubt they qualify Rodrigues at 2+ million.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I think it's pretty clear they didn't believe they could re-sign McCann and Kahun for a reasonable price this coming off-season. This is getting ahead of that cap crunch now, rather than later. So to replace that, they got someone with more of a shoot-first mentality and more traditional bottom six forward. I liked Kahun but this clearly setting up for summer. I have a hunch they also did this because they think Poulin is closer to the NHL than we do. Not having Kahun clogging up the middle 6 let's the possibility of him earning a spot more likely. Again, just a hunch.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
The brass definitely were going to move on from Kahun this offseason. Which makes sense if he couldn’t mesh with our top six. The two upsides to the trade is we don’t take on any term and we have a known commodity in Sheary who works in our top six.

I’d also wager to say things like this makes me feel we will try and keep both goalies for this upcoming season and also that Bjugstad isn’t expected to return or be useable.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like the trade.

I wasn't as high on Kahun as this board seems to be, decent player and all, but nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

E Rod was good with Buffalo last year, he kind of got in the dog house to begin the year with a new coach, but he has the potential to be a good player.

I bet once you guys get a chance to watch Rod you will like this trade much better.

Reactions: BillPrep and Trade

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this trade is something people are so upset over. We probably couldn't keep Kahun moving forward anyway, and he hasn't really meshed well enough with Crosby or Malkin to justify even attempting to.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
Rodrigues-Blueger-Tanev

I suspect you nailed what the lines will be on Wednesday (except Simon-McCann-Horny).

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don’t really get why but Sully and company just did not seem to like Kahun at all. 4th line early in the year, healthy scratch after a couple good games, etc. Seeing him go isn’t shocking but I at least thought it would wait until June.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This is what happens when the Coach bullies the GM to get his way. Sully has a nice shiny new contract as well, so he's doubly protected.

Been a fan since the 80's.... and I love me some trades... actually it's what I love most about the NHL. Among the worst TDL's. Not for what it means this year, but what it means for the future.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Cool. We traded a guy who might've been the solution to the problem on Sid and Jake's RW long-term for a guy who is awful without the puck, falls down whenever anyone is within 10ft of him, and a guy I've literally never heard of. :laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This is what happens when the Coach bullies the GM to get his way. Sully has a nice shiny new contract as well, so he's doubly protected.

Been a fan since the 80's.... and I love me some trades... actually it's what I love most about the NHL. Among the worst TDL's. Not for what it means this year, but what it means for the future.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This trade blows IMO. It also seems to mean Bjugstad is back next year.

Kahun is better than Sheary and younger and under our control. Rodriguesses grow on trees.

It’s obvious the organization wasn’t nuts on Kahun for whatever reason. I mean he is soft and never clicked in the top 6 but his depth scoring was huge and he largely did it on his own.

What the hell does this deal have to do with Bjugstad's future?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is not a good trade, not by any measure. At least that's my first inclination. Terrible asset management by JR here.

Reactions: Lustaf

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
This is the rare trade that (IMO) makes us worse both short term and long term.

Sheary is worse than Kahun right now, and he walks in the summer anyway and I doubt they qualify Rodrigues at 2+ million.

Exactly and I don't like the idea of bringing in to many guys who have already won multiple cups. Much of the roster already won multiple cups, so it would be better to have some young players willing to give 110% every playoff game. Kahun also has a knack to come up with important/big goals/plays, at least when he plays for Germany.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The brass definitely were going to move on from Kahun this offseason. Which makes sense if he couldn’t mesh with our top six. The two upsides to the trade is we don’t take on any term and we have a known commodity in Sheary who works in our top six.

I’d also wager to say things like this makes me feel we will try and keep both goalies for this upcoming season and also that Bjugstad isn’t expected to return or be useable.

My issue isn't wanting to move on for Kahun. My only issue is what they got for him.

Reactions: Lustaf

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Honestly,

GMJR should be relieved of his duties after acquiring smurf Sheary for Kahun. What a dumpster fire trade...at least we got Pudge's kid in the trade. GMJR just got bored around 2pm and needed to make a trade to fill the void.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’s whatever at this point. Trade is done and need to roll with it, I guess.

We’ve got pretty nice depth.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this trade is something people are so upset over. We probably couldn't keep Kahun moving forward anyway, and he hasn't really meshed well enough with Crosby or Malkin to justify even attempting to.
I don't necessarily agree with that opinion, but even if that were true, you still don't have to sell extraordinarily low here either. And that's what we did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad