Confirmed Trade: [PIT/LAK] Jeff Carter (@50%) for 2022 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick and 2023 cond. 3rd/4th round pick

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This is exactly the type of deal I expect a team like PITT to make. He'll fit in nicely with them. I like it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What year did the Pens add an aging Brian Trottier to play that checking role, and it worked out okay. Maybe Carter can have similar impact?

Reactions: theicebox

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Just because Dubas overpaid, doesn't mean that the Pens needed to overpay for an even older player.

They didn't tho? You only gave one example of a team paying less and that was for a player who have a NMC and got to practically pick.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
This is really a good deal for both teams and Carter himself. Carter gets another shot for a cup run, Pens get solid veteran with experience and still has speed and can PK, good depth, Kings move on from a legacy player who will be missed but is not part of the rebuilding, get cap flexibility earlier than expected and a few mid round picks which is honestly more than most of us expected. A win win win.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I think you would be hard pressed to find a Kings fan who didn't want him benched
I'm guessing that you didn't read the thread?
And I wasn't even pressed. Hard NOR lightly.
Many Kings fans thought he was untradeable

You seem to include some ambiguous unnamed mob of faceless Kings fans in both of your opinions. Is this a preemptive attempt to seal them in validation before one might question them?

I'm not as big of a Kings fan as I was most of the first 10 years my life while growing up in California so I admittedly would defer to the passionate and knowledgeable Kings fans for those questions relating to the team and its fandom ... and I would be quite comfortable in deference to, and trusting of their opinions well before my own. If I cared enough then perhaps I might educate myself to the point of feeling comfortable sharing my own opinion if it differed.

Either way, coming both from a point of having enough ignorance to readily accept the opinions of others more knowledgeable on the subjects as easily more valid than any I could offer; and having come from the other side of gathering the knowledge possible to be comfortable in both giving my opinion & arguing in its defense, I have to say that there is one thing that I couldn't be comfortable in doing.
Which is I wouldn't, regardless of my own opinion being based on having or lacking knowledge, make it seem as if I knew the opinions of everyone involved in the fandom and then frame my opinion as if that knowledge of the opinions of all others validates mine.
I also wouldn't have an opinion which required an appeal to the majority as its primary, secondary, or any means of its validation. Especially when I am also expecting others to just take my word that I know what everyone is thinking.

Yeah, maybe his contract was nearly untradeable. I can't see it as far worse contracts have been moved and he was still producing at a high level when he was receiving the maximum per year payout that was the high mark. That was 15/16 & 16/17...years where he had 62pts (24g) in 77 games in 15/16 and the following year had 66pts (32g) in 82 games. Those years he pulled in 7mill. The following year was cut short with injury but again, dude was a baller having 22pts (13g) in 27gp making 6.5mill.
So going into 18/19 and having his salary again drop to 5mill, I can easily see that having value as he still hadn't dropped off in his performance while his salary kept getting lower.
Now, that year was the year which saw age catch up to his numbers but again his contract structure took care of that as he had 3 years remaining that paid actual dollars of 3mill, followed by 2mill the next year and the same amount in the final year of his contract.
Hardly an untradeable contract but given that it lasted ELEVEN SEASONS, and you were just as vague as to clarifying at what point of that duration that you, and the many fans which share this opinion feel that the contract was untradeable as you were about defining anything about these "many" people; or if you and the crew felt this way about the contract as a whole.

You're entitled to post your opinion but man....it just seems like you're only wanting to piss on peoples Post Toasties because your only coming with the negatives, you're coming with them hard, your doing it in response to an opinion that is one of content...and that would be fine if you have a different opinion. I love dialogue and opposing points..
But .... the thing is that your statements....both of them....they don't make sense and have no substance. Especially given the apparent absolutes they represent and in how in the posts you responded to you didn't respond to the points made. Points that took the path towards optimism and not points that drew absolutes for conclusions to which you were absolute in only a response that made it clear that anybody who views this with hope or optimism is absolutely wrong and that viewpoint is proven false.

I hated Carter for awhile though it was irrational hatred that comes with any player wearing the Flyers jersey but he never gave me a reason of his own or validated that hatred. The rivalry.
Over the years playing for the Kings that dissipated to the point of being happy with the deal though wary of the pitfalls in the particulars of the rest of the season and the deployment playing out.
Still, not much that one can complain about as a Pens fan in terms of value given up as that is a no lose or risk deal.

Reactions: Osprey

Smiggie Balls

Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing that you didn't read the thread?
And I wasn't even pressed. Hard NOR lightly.

You seem to include some ambiguous unnamed mob of faceless Kings fans in both of your opinions. Is this a preemptive attempt to seal them in validation before one might question them?

I'm not as big of a Kings fan as I was most of the first 10 years my life while growing up in California so I admittedly would defer to the passionate and knowledgeable Kings fans for those questions relating to the team and its fandom ... and I would be quite comfortable in deference to, and trusting of their opinions well before my own. If I cared enough then perhaps I might educate myself to the point of feeling comfortable sharing my own opinion if it differed.

Either way, coming both from a point of having enough ignorance to readily accept the opinions of others more knowledgeable on the subjects as easily more valid than any I could offer; and having come from the other side of gathering the knowledge possible to be comfortable in both giving my opinion & arguing in its defense, I have to say that there is one thing that I couldn't be comfortable in doing.
Which is I wouldn't, regardless of my own opinion being based on having or lacking knowledge, make it seem as if I knew the opinions of everyone involved in the fandom and then frame my opinion as if that knowledge of the opinions of all others validates mine.
I also wouldn't have an opinion which required an appeal to the majority as its primary, secondary, or any means of its validation. Especially when I am also expecting others to just take my word that I know what everyone is thinking.

Yeah, maybe his contract was nearly untradeable. I can't see it as far worse contracts have been moved and he was still producing at a high level when he was receiving the maximum per year payout that was the high mark. That was 15/16 & 16/17...years where he had 62pts (24g) in 77 games in 15/16 and the following year had 66pts (32g) in 82 games. Those years he pulled in 7mill. The following year was cut short with injury but again, dude was a baller having 22pts (13g) in 27gp making 6.5mill.
So going into 18/19 and having his salary again drop to 5mill, I can easily see that having value as he still hadn't dropped off in his performance while his salary kept getting lower.
Now, that year was the year which saw age catch up to his numbers but again his contract structure took care of that as he had 3 years remaining that paid actual dollars of 3mill, followed by 2mill the next year and the same amount in the final year of his contract.
Hardly an untradeable contract but given that it lasted ELEVEN SEASONS, and you were just as vague as to clarifying at what point of that duration that you, and the many fans which share this opinion feel that the contract was untradeable as you were about defining anything about these "many" people; or if you and the crew felt this way about the contract as a whole.

You're entitled to post your opinion but man....it just seems like you're only wanting to piss on peoples Post Toasties because your only coming with the negatives, you're coming with them hard, your doing it in response to an opinion that is one of content...and that would be fine if you have a different opinion. I love dialogue and opposing points..
But .... the thing is that your statements....both of them....they don't make sense and have no substance. Especially given the apparent absolutes they represent and in how in the posts you responded to you didn't respond to the points made. Points that took the path towards optimism and not points that drew absolutes for conclusions to which you were absolute in only a response that made it clear that anybody who views this with hope or optimism is absolutely wrong and that viewpoint is proven false.

I hated Carter for awhile though it was irrational hatred that comes with any player wearing the Flyers jersey but he never gave me a reason of his own or validated that hatred. The rivalry.
Over the years playing for the Kings that dissipated to the point of being happy with the deal though wary of the pitfalls in the particulars of the rest of the season and the deployment playing out.
Still, not much that one can complain about as a Pens fan in terms of value given up as that is a no lose or risk deal.

Please don't do this again, are you trying to be cute? Anyways, I like the trade. Glad we didn't do something stupid like trade a first when obviously the rental market has shifted

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
so what makes the 4th pick into a 3rd?

2022 conditional 3rd round pick* (PIT)
2023 conditional 4th round pick** (PIT)
*Conditions: The 2022 3rd round pick can upgrade to a 2nd round pick if the Penguins reach the 2020-21 Stanley Cup Final and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.
**Conditions: The 2023 4th round pick can upgrade to a 3rd round pick if Carter plays in at least 50 games during the 2021-22 season

nevermind found it

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What year did the Pens add an aging Brian Trottier to play that checking role, and it worked out okay. Maybe Carter can have similar impact?
Dubas didn't overpay. Different situations. Different teams. Leafs are that much closer

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Solid trade for both teams. Carter gets to play meaningful games and Kings get to accelerate their prospects development.

Refreshing to see trades that actually make sense from the Penguins perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad