Confirmed Trade: [PIT/LAK] Jeff Carter (@50%) for 2022 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick and 2023 cond. 3rd/4th round pick

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Its been said in this thread at least 5 times Jeff had no no trade clause at all If u read this thread you would have been informed this. What is the issue with the pitts. fans?

Cool.... thanks...... but if you look at how you typed that...it does get confusing.

I wonder if Pittsburgh was the only team he would waive his NTC for...........interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No. It's a 3rd for sure. And if the pens go on a run could be a 2nd. No idea on the 4rd pick. It is good value for the Kings.

Thanks. That's good to hear. The conditions weren't known last night and I mistakenly assumed that the picks, themselves, were conditional, not simply the rounds. I guess that it took so long to get the details because it happened so late, or maybe it wasn't actually finalized until this morning.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Thanks. That's good to hear. The conditions weren't known last night and I mistakenly assumed that the picks, themselves, were conditional, not simply the rounds. I guess that it took so long to get the details because it happened so late, or maybe it wasn't actually finalized until this morning.
I have read on twitter the 4 th round pick becomes a 3rd if Jeff plays 50 + games next season

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Hey np. All I know is that if Carter retires tomoorow, Kings walk away with a 3rd and 4th , I am fine with that, thought they would buy him out this sumnmer. Let's hope he has success and Pens make it to the finals and they keep him going next year too. Also opens up a roster spot for a kid and removes a contract spot that we need for trades.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well l guess two 3rd rounders than.

I dont see them reach the finals but 50 games next year should be no problem.

I dont like the negativity in here. Yes Jeff didnt play that great the last 20 games but he was the best at the beginning of the season. You can not just loose it so suddenly.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I dont like the negativity in here. Yes Jeff didnt play that great the last 20 games but he was the best at the beginning of the season. You can not just loose it so suddenly.

We had the opposite problem. Everyone started poorly, but especially our GK and our stars, as the lack of preseason was evident. Then they rounded into form just as naysayers were coming with their "Malkin/Crosby are finished" takes.

But as they say "form is temporary, class is permanent" and we know that alot of times the older guys are conserving their regular season energy for when the real season begins.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's a reason a 36 year old brings back conditional picks 1 and 2 years from now. Maybe he's been conserving energy on a bad team for 3 years, but it's probably more likely that he's just a 36 year old who was never quite able to recover from a freak injury to his best asset 4 years ago.

Little risk for Pit, and all they're looking for is a little extra depth.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2022 conditional 3rd round pick* (PIT)
2023 conditional 4th round pick** (PIT)
*Conditions: The 2022 3rd round pick can upgrade to a 2nd round pick if the Penguins reach the 2020-21 Stanley Cup Final and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.
**Conditions: The 2023 4th round pick can upgrade to a 3rd round pick if Carter plays in at least 50 games during the 2021-22 season

nevermind found it

I'm hoping that pick becomes a 2nd in 2022 then. ;)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's a reason a 36 year old brings back conditional picks 1 and 2 years from now. Maybe he's been conserving energy on a bad team for 3 years, but it's probably more likely that he's just a 36 year old who was never quite able to recover from a freak injury to his best asset 4 years ago.

Little risk for Pit, and all they're looking for is a little extra depth.

It was mentioned by someone that the Pens don't have any 2nd or 3rd round picks this year. If true, that seems like the reason why the picks aren't for this year and next year.

I think that you're right that his injury in 2017-18 might've played a role in his diminishing production. What also happened around the same time is that his salary started to drop. Diminishing paychecks might've affected his competitiveness. I don't hold that against him, though. If my paycheck were to diminish, especially to the point that I was making 1/3rd of what I was just a few years ago, I'd probably coast, too. It wouldn't be surprising if it was a combination of the two (injury and lack of motivation).

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Burke on Sportsnet to talk about the deal. Hextall inquired about Carter about a month ago to "plant the seeds", Carter eventually grew to like the deal and is in route to Pittsburgh right now.

Damn, I love me the sound of that.

I'm sure Carter wanted to wait and see what happened this year in LA before making any kind of switch, and the Kings rebuild is clearly on its way but not quite there yet. But the more I learn about this deal, the more I like it. Especially if Carter took some convincing and came around to the idea.

Leave aside adding his talents to a team that is rolling right now, or the jolt of excitement its going to put in the Pens lockerroom. The main thing is there's nothing quite like getting a guy who has been through the wars, has nothing to prove, and then starts getting that competitive playoff fire in his belly once again. The Pens found it before with Matt Cullen and it was just what the doctor ordered after a couple of limp-wristed playoff flameouts.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This continues the Bob Wall trade for Los Angeles

Wall was originally traded May 11, 1970(!!!)

A little more well known than Wall, this trade can be traced back to Los Angeles trading Marcel Dionne on March 10, 1985.
clpkrHE.jpg

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
As Jim Fox posted earlier today, he was the missing piece in 2012 and the best player in the best series I’ve ever seen (2014 Blackhawks). Thanks, Jeff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad