Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Jared McCann signs extension (2 years, $2.94M AAV)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is the 2.94 because of Covid? Normally his stats seem like he would have got 4-4.5 per.

35-40 points (pace) don't usually get more than around $2.5 million to maybe $3.5 million, especially as a RFA.

COVID might have kept it slightly below $3 million, but he probably wouldn't have gotten more than around $3.5 at most.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JR with an extra 8 mil to spend in FA...

Why do I get the feeling opposing fans would be stoked?

He can re-acquire Gudbranson to be the defensive anchor for Johnson on the third pairing and have money left over to re-sign Sheary to play 18 minutes a night next to Sid on L1.

Reactions: Pens x

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
35-40 points (pace) don't usually get more than around $2.5 million to maybe $3.5 million, especially as a RFA.

COVID might have kept it slightly below $3 million, but he probably wouldn't have gotten more than around $3.5 at most.

In todays market before Covid, 40 pt players were getting over 4 easily.

Tomas Tatar
Nyquist
Ryan Spooner
Marcus Johansson
Namestnikov
Brock Nelson
Colin White
Wayne Simmonds
JG Pageau
and more

That is just the past few years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In todays market before Covid, 40 pt players were getting over 4 easily.

Tomas Tatar
Nyquist
Ryan Spooner
Marcus Johansson
Namestnikov
Brock Nelson
Colin White
Wayne Simmonds
JG Pageau
and more

That is just the past few years.

You listed a bunch of guys who scored closer to 50 points than McCann's 35 points career high. Nyquist, for example, was coming off a 54 point season when he signed his $4+ million deal.

Reactions: BHD

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You listed a bunch of guys who scored closer to 50 points than McCann's 35 points career high. Nyquist, for example, was coming off a 54 point season when he signed his $4+ million deal.

Tatar had back to back mid 40s with no other intangibles when he signed for 5.3 and the rest only do about 7-8 more pts than McCann. I think non Covid he gets at least 3.75.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Tatar had back to back mid 40s with no other intangibles when he signed for 5.3 and the rest only do about 7-8 more pts than McCann. I think non Covid he gets at least 3.75.
Not even close pal. Covid or no c9bid he was getting under 3

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Devil's advocate - wouldn't trading McCann be easier now that he's signed so the new team knows exactly what he's going to cost, rather than trading an unsigned RFA whose asking price might not be known?

I think he is staying. Cap isn't the factor this year. Real money is and that is why the $2.5 million for year 1 is his real cap this year. Kapanen was the same way that his salary is less than his cap hit. Rutherford is trying to build the best team he can with actual money being lowered.

I think Pens are going to play on the cheap until the deadline when players actual money cost has been paid by the other team with 2/3 of the season finished by the deadline. Look for something like this to start the season.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-McCann-Simon/trade winger
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ/Riikola-Maniscalco/Ruhwedel/Trade RD

Jarry
DeSmith

Hornqvist traded
Murray traded
JJ traded and not bought out. Remember it is not about the cap but actual money. Bjugstad could of been bought out and saved much more against the cap but was traded to save actual money.

After seeing Kapanen trade, Bjugstad trade, and this signing it is obvious what the goal is. I am fine with this because Pens have always spent to the cap during the Crosby era and with big losses due to this virus it makes sense. Rutherford said he would be allowed to spend to the cap at the deadline.

I actually think the above lineup is better than what the Pens put out most of last season even in the few games they had been healthy and still finished 7th in the league while Crosby missed half the season. Kapanen is an upgrade over Simon who was Crosby's RW most of the season. Blueger was the teams 3C for almost the whole season besides a few games last year now he slots back to 4C. Poulin takes the 3 LW spot and I think gives us just as much production as last year's players with more upside. On defense Pettersson and Marino are one year closer to their primes going into 2nd and 3rd full season's. JJ and Schultz are additions by subtraction and no way the Pens could put out a worse version than that. Personally I would love POJ-Maniscalco and play for the upside. Go young and then make the deadline adjustments needed to improve.

Also remember Zucker was a late addition that will get a full season out of this year. Pens haven't had that good of 2 LW in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Could Hall be in the picture for the Pens???Unsure how their cap is,and it seems like something they would be in on...

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Could Hall be in the picture for the Pens???Unsure how their cap is,and it seems like something they would be in on...

I don't see any reason the Pens would be in on Hall. Pens have a great one two punch at LW with Guentzel and Zucker. Hall at his next cap hit is not an improvement for this Pens team over Guentzel and Zucker who Hall will make almost as big a cap hit as both combined. Pens top 6 and top 4 defenseman are set.

Pens could go into next season with what they have in the system and be better than last season. Pens finished 7th in the NHL with missing one of Crosby and Malkin at Center for almost the whole season and Bjugstad out pretty much the whole year. So the Pens have a very real shit at being much better at Center with just a little better luck with injuries at C.

LW is definitely much improved from last year. Guentzel and Zucker have not played a regular season game yet together. Pens definitely are much stronger at LW this coming season than last year's regular season team. Bring up Poulin to play 3LW and this team LW is the best of the Crosby era.

RW is definitely improved also with the addition of Kapanen who will allow Simon to move off Crosby's line and move done to 3RW. So the Pens are stronger at this spot also.

Pens 2nd pairing had a rookie and a 2nd year player and now those players are one year more developed. Schultz was terrible last year and any player playing in that spot will be an improvement. Schultz really sadly did regress that much and never was the same after that major knee injury in 2018.

Pens go younger and cheaper and add at the deadline. This is what is going to happen.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't see any reason the Pens would be in on Hall. Pens have a great one two punch at LW with Guentzel and Zucker. Hall at his next cap hit is not an improvement for this Pens team over Guentzel and Zucker who Hall will make almost as big a cap hit as both combined. Pens top 6 and top 4 defenseman are set.

Pens could go into next season with what they have in the system and be better than last season. Pens finished 7th in the NHL with missing one of Crosby and Malkin at Center for almost the whole season and Bjugstad out pretty much the whole year. So the Pens have a very real shit at being much better at Center with just a little better luck with injuries at C.

LW is definitely much improved from last year. Guentzel and Zucker have not played a regular season game yet together. Pens definitely are much stronger at LW this coming season than last year's regular season team. Bring up Poulin to play 3LW and this team LW is the best of the Crosby era.

RW is definitely improved also with the addition of Kapanen who will allow Simon to move off Crosby's line and move done to 3RW. So the Pens are stronger at this spot also.

Pens 2nd pairing had a rookie and a 2nd year player and now those players are one year more developed. Schultz was terrible last year and any player playing in that spot will be an improvement. Schultz really sadly did regress that much and never was the same after that major knee injury in 2018.

Pens go younger and cheaper and add at the deadline. This is what is going to happen.
Thanks for the reply ,just was curious as to what the plan was...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Yeah, sure he was!
Just like I predicted before... under 3 and lucky for that. His play dropped off and he was benched...and you think he a 4 mil guy ?? Lol... exactly as predicted, a hair under 3. .. this was an easy one

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just like I predicted before... under 3 and lucky for that. His play dropped off and he was benched...and you think he a 4 mil guy ?? Lol... exactly as predicted, a hair under 3. .. this was an easy one

No I don't think he and many are 4 million dollar guys. The league just normally pays that much for such. Heck Abdelkader got 4.25 for only 2 just over 40 pt seasons, and that was playing with Datsyuk who got him 20 more pts than he would have.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No I don't think he and many are 4 million dollar guys. The league just normally pays that much for such. Heck Abdelkader got 4.25 for only 2 just over 40 pt seasons, and that was playing with Datsyuk who got him 20 more pts than he would have.
Some are overpaid...one decent season can get you that especially in a contract year . McCann didn't have that in fsmsct his play dropped off substantially in his contract year. Secondly we know the pens capa situation prior. Add the 2 and there was no way mccann was getting north of 3 million. I said this months ago and still some argued he would be getting 3.5 to 4 ....lol

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Some are overpaid...one decent season can get you that especially in a contract year . McCann didn't have that in fsmsct his play dropped off substantially in his contract year. Secondly we know the pens capa situation prior. Add the 2 and there was no way mccann was getting north of 3 million. I said this months ago and still some argued he would be getting 3.5 to 4 ....lol

Just cause you ended up right, doesn't mean it was guaranteed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad