Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Jared McCann signs extension (2 years, $2.94M AAV)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
JR: I want to clear cap space to be active in free agency
Also JR: re-signs McCann (the most likely guy to trade for cap space), Riikola (who's paid a lot to be a #7D) and Ruhwedel a year before his current deal expires

I'd really like to see how JR plans on clearing out salary to be active in free agency if he also plans on re-signing all of his players.
Crosby 50% retained for a conditional 7th

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
OK value for his production. Still not sure how he "fits" as I don't see him as a full time 3C.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also JR: re-signs McCann (the most likely guy to trade for cap space), Riikola (who's paid a lot to be a #7D) and Ruhwedel a year before his current deal expires

I'd really like to see how JR plans on clearing out salary to be active in free agency if he also plans on re-signing all of his players.

Devil's advocate - wouldn't trading McCann be easier now that he's signed so the new team knows exactly what he's going to cost, rather than trading an unsigned RFA whose asking price might not be known?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Devil's advocate - wouldn't trading McCann be easier now that he's signed so the new team knows exactly what he's going to cost, rather than trading an unsigned RFA whose asking price might not be known?

Nah, I think that would be a huge middle finger to the player to trade them right after they sign. It's not really a common thing to happen. I don't think McCann would sign a deal with Pittsburgh under the pretense that it makes him being traded easier, and I doubt JR is a big enough jerk to flip flop on him like that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Riikola is good tho. I could see him usurping Johnson at some point, and you need to give a little to get a guy like him to stick around for another year while Joseph fine tunes in the minors.
McCann may play LW.
Blueger may play 3C.
Murray and/or Hornqvist may be dealt for roster forwards.
Poulin and/or Legare may make the team.
McCann won't replace Zucker, Gunetzel or Rust in the top 6, and this would be an overpay to use McCann as a passenger winger in a mediocre bottom 6. Same with Kapanen if you think Sullivan will play somebody on their off-wing and force force Kap down the lineup.
If teddy plays 3C they have bigger issues.. McCann slot in on that line with tanev and probably someone murray brings in. Teddy stays 4C. ZaR probably gone. Hornqvist gone .
McCann - Tanev sounds like the basis of an expensive, and not particularly useful, third line. Unless you think Hornqvist/Murray can return a play-driving winger with a workable salary.

Reactions: NB613

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Riikola is good tho. I could see him usurping Johnson at some point, and you need to give a little to get a guy like him to stick around for another year while Joseph fine tunes in the minors.

You have to get rid of Johnson first though, and if JR can manage to pull that off, I'm buying lottery tickets right after the trade is announced :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nah, I think that would be a huge middle finger to the player to trade them right after they sign. It's not really a common thing to happen. I don't think McCann would sign a deal with Pittsburgh under the pretense that it makes him being traded easier, and I doubt JR is a big enough jerk to flip flop on him like that.

Letang it is then. ;)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
meh, it's not that common, but it does happen. McCann himself was traded for Gudbranson who had just signed an extension with FLA like a week earlier in 2016. And I don't think JR is the type to let courtesy get in the way of shrewdness. Didn't he lie to Fehr about giving him the 3C position? And I doubt UFA Casey DeSmith signed that extension planning to staple himself to the AHL.
Not to mention the quick exit he showed Hunwick, Plotnikov, and Oleksiak.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
reasonable cap hit, will they now go on to trade him?

He had a great wrist shot in Vancouver before the current GM ditched him for a slow, useless D

Gudbranson. Who the Pens subsequently traded for.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
meh, it's not that common, but it does happen. McCann himself was traded for Gudbranson who had just signed an extension with FLA like a week earlier in 2016. And I don't think JR is the type to let courtesy get in the way of shrewdness. Didn't he lie to Fehr about giving him the 3C position? And I doubt UFA Casey DeSmith signed that extension planning to staple himself to the AHL.
Not to mention the quick exit he showed Hunwick, Plotnikov, and Oleksiak.

Hey, do you think the Pens could get him back for a 4th?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Interesting deal, he's been a playoff scratch a couple of times, just tied his career high in points, almost hit 20 goals once....It's not a long deal nor is it an overpayment...but there's clearly some belief there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He has pulled the swerve of a life time. Everybody gets a contract, EVERYBODY!

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Have there been any rumours about McCann in the locker room in Pittsburgh (genuine question)?

He was not liked in the Vancouver room. Seems like Virtanen always throws big hits against McCann and chirps him.

Reasonable contract, though

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Have there been any rumours about McCann in the locker room in Pittsburgh (genuine question)?

He was not liked in the Vancouver room. Seems like Virtanen always throws big hits against McCann and chirps him.

Reasonable contract, though

I never heard anything about him in the dressing room. He didnt seem happy when Vancouver drafted him and he was interviewed but thats it

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
I like McCann and Tanev as wingers on the 3rd line. If they get a good 3C with some passing ability, that line could be something.

Reactions: CF Punk

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

By trading away Bjug, MM, Horni, and possibly Rust and maybe even Letang.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Just thinking outside the box: can Simon play center?

Is this an experiment worth trying? Simon can really pass the puck and also is defensively responsible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad