Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Jared McCann signs extension (2 years, $2.94M AAV)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As I've said before, I think McCann can still be a successful player here, but you have to get the right complementary players.

He needs someone on his line to be able to carry the puck and make plays, whether he's at C or LW. He can't be that player. He's the guy who skates, shoots, plays solid defense, and forechecks. Those are a lot of positive qualities.

Internally, that means putting players like Simon, Poulin, and Blueger with him.

Hornqvist and Marleau though? No bueno.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Totally fair if not edging towards bargain contract.

Still don't know what his role for them is though.

Probably best at W.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As I've said before, I think McCann can still be a successful player here, but you have to get the right complementary players.

He needs someone on his line to be able to carry the puck and make plays, whether he's at C or LW. He can't be that player. He's the guy who skates, shoots, plays solid defense, and forechecks. Those are a lot of positive qualities.

Internally, that means putting players like Simon, Poulin, and Blueger with him.

Yup. Not a lot of vision and doesn't use his linemates super effectively. But will get some breakaways, play decent defense and has an above average shot.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Riikola is good tho. I could see him usurping Johnson at some point, and you need to give a little to get a guy like him to stick around for another year while Joseph fine tunes in the minors.

McCann won't replace Zucker, Gunetzel or Rust in the top 6, and this would be an overpay to use McCann as a passenger winger in a mediocre bottom 6. Same with Kapanen if you think Sullivan will play somebody on their off-wing and force force Kap down the lineup.

McCann - Tanev sounds like the basis of an expensive, and not particularly useful, third line. Unless you think Hornqvist/Murray can return a play-driving winger with a workable salary.
Murray for Sam Bennett was mentioned in a candian article this week. A third line of tanev McCann and Bennett would be hard to play against

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Anytime I’ve ever seen McCann raise his game to his potential is when he has a winger that can carry the puck and drive past the neutral zone. Pair him with even one winger like that and he can play center. But if he is supposed to be the primary driver is when he becomes lack luster at center. If he doesn’t have that kind of winger he needs to be at wing.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Just thinking outside the box: can Simon play center?

Is this an experiment worth trying? Simon can really pass the puck and also is defensively responsible.
I think it’s a good idea. But with a Tanev on the fourth line. Bluegar and McCann on the third line with Hornqvist or Poulin.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Centre options are looking terrible this offseason so makes sense to sign a guy that can kind of play it. If Pens can pick up a right winger at this years deadline to play with Sid then Tanev-McCann-Kapanen looks like a real solid third line

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I was kinda starting to worry guys like Virtanen and Debrusk is targeting Alex Tuch money. Hopefully McCann can drives down that market a little.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Centre options are looking terrible this offseason so makes sense to sign a guy that can kind of play it. If Pens can pick up a right winger at this years deadline to play with Sid then Tanev-McCann-Kapanen looks like a real solid third line
McCann disappears for long stretches. When he gets hot he can really make a difference, but his cold spells are really bad. He's a feast or famine guy. Which in that role isn't a good thing. We need consistency.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
weird signing

wasn't he benched for lafferty during the playoffs or was he injured

He's been a playoff ghost as a Pen and plays like he wears horse blinders...

Not sure how keeping a guy who has been part of their playoff problems helps to resolve things, but JR claims he has big plans of change coming, so uh, ya.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Rust is on a sweetheart of a contract. Dude is going nowhere.

I hope not, but for some strange reason his name keeps being tossed around. I think that contract and fact that he had monster of season is why he is in trade rumors. Sell extremely high while you can sort of a thing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's been a playoff ghost as a Pen and plays like he wears horse blinders...

Not sure how keeping a guy who has been part of their playoff problems helps to resolve things, but JR claims he has big plans of change coming, so uh, ya.

Just you wait to see what JR does once he clears Letang's salary off the books.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is the 2.94 because of Covid? Normally his stats seem like he would have got 4-4.5 per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad