Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
The Oduya-Hjalmarsson pairing alone should be enough in this argument.

Both of them have gone from players struggling to match their original potential to one of the best shutdown pairings in the league. They're almost guaranteed to be paired together on the Swedish Olympic Team in Sochi.

I'm not even a huge Q defender, but this is silly. The man has obviously had some great successes working with this team, even beyond the two Cup banners.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You clearly are having trouble in not being able to see the forest for the trees. But hey you hail from the Forest City so what gives.
Hmmmm we have yet to find that 2LC anywhere ... but here is this one guy Pirri ... Can't deny there is potential there .... Hmmmmm what to do, what to do ...
Put in 4LC Kruger? LW Saad? The aging Zeuss? Hmmmmmm.
Give the guy a friggen chance .. It's getting silly now.

Was beyond silly a long time ago as are many of the threads that this poster gets involved in. Lots of smog in that part of Ontario I guess.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Because hes the first coach to change his line up because of a pretty fair opinion. Going against Chara, he didnt want his eggs in one basket, like he did in 2010 with Toews, Kane, and Buff. Eventually he split those lines up and it helped us win a cup. He realized he needed to change it up against BOS and did.

Q makes mistakes, no denying it, but there are few things I disagree with. Even golden boy Paul MacLean makes mistakes..plays tough guys over skill guys that are even worse than Bollig. You get over the mistakes when you win.

We almost didn't get to Boston if you remember correctly.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It's pretty clear Quenneville has a knack for motivating his players and getting them to buy in to what he wants.

It's just his lineup choices and when he tries to out "strategerize" the other coach that things go to hell. He was outcoached by Babcock last year (and every other year he was matched against him) and Vigneault (who is a terrible coach) when we were summarily dismissed in the first round before that.

We were able to win despite his poor tactical and lineup knowledge because the depth on the team's forwards is excessive and has been for a long time. If we don't take any injuries there's only two or three teams in the league that can even hold with us.

Unfortunately there's a gaping hole in that depth. If Toews ever went down we are screwed. We nearly lost to Detroit when Zetterberg was pretty much shutting Toews down, and had Bergeron been playing at more than 25% health we probably would have lost to Boston too.

I personally think Pirri is an AHL talent and always has been. There's just nothing about him that says to me he'll be a success in the NHL. Course I could be wrong and I would like Quenneville to give him a chance to prove me wrong, but that's how I see it.

But we really need SOMEONE in that 2nd C role. Can't depend on getting three teams devastated by injuries and get lucky on the fourth every single playoffs. One of these times it will be OUR depth under the pressure and we'll be playing a healthy team, and when that happens I sure as fark don't want Handzus out there between Kane and Sharp.

The hard part is finding that player. No one gives away 2nd line centers.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's pretty clear Quenneville has a knack for motivating his players and getting them to buy in to what he wants.

It's just his lineup choices and when he tries to out "strategerize" the other coach that things go to hell. He was outcoached by Babcock last year (and every other year he was matched against him) and Vigneault (who is a terrible coach) when we were summarily dismissed in the first round before that.

We were able to win despite his poor tactical and lineup knowledge because the depth on the team's forwards is excessive and has been for a long time. If we don't take any injuries there's only two or three teams in the league that can even hold with us.

Unfortunately there's a gaping hole in that depth. If Toews ever went down we are screwed. We nearly lost to Detroit when Zetterberg was pretty much shutting Toews down, and had Bergeron been playing at more than 25% health we probably would have lost to Boston too.

I personally think Pirri is an AHL talent and always has been. There's just nothing about him that says to me he'll be a success in the NHL. Course I could be wrong and I would like Quenneville to give him a chance to prove me wrong, but that's how I see it.

But we really need SOMEONE in that 2nd C role. Can't depend on getting three teams devastated by injuries and get lucky on the fourth every single playoffs. One of these times it will be OUR depth under the pressure and we'll be playing a healthy team, and when that happens I sure as fark don't want Handzus out there between Kane and Sharp.

Good post. Hard to argue with any of it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Quenneville may be overrated by media but he is still a very accomplished coach (is there any active coach more accomplished?) Ultimately wins and losses are what matters.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I wish that instead of just seeing people argue about Pirri having the skill to be the second line center, Q would just stick him in the line-up there for the next two weeks.

Let his play make the decision. If Hossa and Sharp benefit from having him there, they both looked good last night against Carolina, then the whole second line center debate can finally go away.

I believe that if Pirri sticks, then the second line is actually a more dangerous offensive line than Bickell-Towes-Kane. Though that would change if Saad was up there instead of Bicks (also, how good did Saad look last night, kid has some damn good skills).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I wish that instead of just seeing people argue about Pirri having the skill to be the second line center, Q would just stick him in the line-up there for the next two weeks.

Let his play make the decision. If Hossa and Sharp benefit from having him there, they both looked good last night against Carolina, then the whole second line center debate can finally go away.

I believe that if Pirri sticks, then the second line is actually a more dangerous offensive line than Bickell-Towes-Kane. Though that would change if Saad was up there instead of Bicks (also, how good did Saad look last night, kid has some damn good skills).

I agree with you. The way a couple of people start screaming just at the idea of him getting a 4 or 5 game look, you'd think the entire season would be lost if it didn't work out.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
The Oduya-Hjalmarsson pairing alone should be enough in this argument.

Both of them have gone from players struggling to match their original potential to one of the best shutdown pairings in the league. They're almost guaranteed to be paired together on the Swedish Olympic Team in Sochi.

I'm not even a huge Q defender, but this is silly. The man has obviously had some great successes working with this team, even beyond the two Cup banners.
Agreed. Kane and Toews have not developed!?! Please.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Was beyond silly a long time ago as are many of the threads that this poster gets involved in. Lots of smog in that part of Ontario I guess.

Just like when I got involved in Oduya threads saying he was a good dman?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I called Chicago a legitimate cup contender last year?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I had faith in Crawford?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I said we could win without a 2nd line C?

Yup, tons of smog out here.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Just like when I got involved in Oduya threads saying he was a good dman?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I called Chicago a legitimate cup contender last year?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I had faith in Crawford?
Just like the threads I got involved with where I said we could win without a 2nd line C?

Yup, tons of smog out here.

Boom! :yo:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

You're right. No one gives away 2nd line centers. Our strategy has been to draft and develop. I like the strategy considering the cap situation and who has been available through UFA or trade.

These are just the guys we've picked high in the draft or signed as in-demand UFA.

Teuvo Teravainen - 1st round
Kevin Hayes - 1st round
Mark McNeill - 1st round
Phillip Danault - 1st round
Brandon Pirri - 2nd round
Drew LeBlanc - UFA

If you have the AHL scoring champ, invest 4 1st round picks, and sign one of the most sought after NCAA UFA you hope 1 out of the 6 will be capable of playing #2C in the NHL. To me it shows how hard it is to play that position in the NHL.

Blame Stan, Q, Rockford, whoever, but I see the same situation playing out no matter who was in charge sans trading a core player for a legit #2C. I for one like our core (even without a #2C part of it) and am thankful they've won two cups. Hopefully one of our many young guns will pan out. This is actually one area I'll wait patiently as a fan.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Agreed. Kane and Toews have not developed!?! Please.

Rookie of the year and 1st team All Star have developed how exactly? Kane a bit more back check? Toews a couple percentage points better at the dot?

These guys came in scary good, are they more scary now than at 19,20 or 21? Not to me.

To anyone who thinks Kruger looks more like an NHLer than Pirri, I could buy the argument currently (maybe), but when Kruger was gifted a roster spot and placed at 2C compared to Pirri right now? Not even close to Pirri's ability.

Still waiting for a great in game or series adjustment by Q, other than picking lines out of a hat.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Rookie of the year and 1st team All Star have developed how exactly? Kane a bit more back check? Toews a couple percentage points better at the dot?

These guys came in scary good, are they more scary now than at 19,20 or 21? Not to me.

You're blind if you don't think they have greatly improved since their rookie years.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
It's not 'only Pirri lovers'. In fact, pretty much the only ones opposed to Pirri being given a look at 2c are you, Bubba, and HockeySensible.

thats a lie... and it can be read here on the last few threads about Pirri.

Still vocal for him to get a chance but I'd prefer to him to deserve this and earn it by playing in the Bottom 6 for a few games looking good. Bollig was more noteable than him as was Smith...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bowman came up with the suggestion is what I think he is getting at.

First I have heard this, and even if true, coaches and GM discuss games/lineup decisions as a group after/before every game.

IIRC, Q switched the lines during GM3? So did Bowamna come out of the pressbox and down to the bench to suggest this? (honest question)

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Bowman came up with the suggestion is what I think he is getting at.

First I have heard this, and even if true, coaches and GM discuss games/lineup decisions as a group after/before every game.

IIRC, Q switched the lines during GM3? So did Bowamna come out of the pressbox and down to the bench to suggest this? (honest question)

Let me help you out a bit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130523/SPORTS05/305230168/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44295#.Ul8NC9K-qVE

...and let's not forget this gem.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-quenneville-need-coaching-help-from-upstairs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad