Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I wish just once an argument wouldn't boil down to an extreme. Either Q is an idiot that magooed his way to two Stanley Cup's or he's a hockey savant who's above reproach.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
OK, that proves that Q was the one who wanted to switch the lines. It was his idea, not Scottys.

2 cups in 4 years..enough said.

So the guy who asked for help gets the credit instead of the guy who actually came up with the lines and the reasons why?

You must be a huge Thomas Edison fan.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Is Q the greatest coach of all times? No

Is he a terrible coach that has just gotten lucky? No

Is he a pretty damn good coach that usually makes the right decisions and can win close games? Yes

Most importantly, is he the right coach for the Blackhawks in this decade up to now and for the next few years? Absolutely, the record speaks for itself and if there are big changes to the lineup with Toews and Kane's new contracts he might not be the right coach.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So the guy who asked for help gets the credit instead of the guy who actually came up with the lines and the reasons why?

You must be a huge Thomas Edison fan.

Q is the coach, whatever he decides, is the final decision. No where does it say Scotty made the lines we had in the final 4 games. Hhe gave his opinion, Coach Q made the decision.

Etiher way, Coach Q made the call to switch the lines and asked for Bowmans (the best coach to ever live) opinion, along with his sons, and his 2 assistant coaches.

You people act like Q is the only coach EVER to ask for an outsiders opinion on a lineup. It happens ALL THE TIME!!

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I wish just once an argument wouldn't boil down to an extreme. Either Q is an idiot that magooed his way to two Stanley Cup's or he's a hockey savant who's above reproach.

I don't think I have ever said he is the best coach ever in the NHL and whatever decision he makes I am OK with. There just isn't much to disagree with RE: his decisions, and I will trust his decisions, because he has helped bring us 2 cups in 4 years, until those decisions backfire, which they haven't yet.

I don't think he is above reproach, just tired of people saying he "magooed" his way to 2 cups, when those same people blamed him for 2011/12 and his "system."

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Silly rabbit, Edison is the man that conquered Mars.

product_thumbnail.php

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Do you seriously not know who Edison is?

I didn't pay attention to history class, one of my least favourite subjects.

I was probably thinking of Thomas Jefferson, either way, I couldn't care less about history for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I didn't pay attention to history class, one of my least favourite subjects.

I was probably thinking of Thomas Jefferson, either way, I couldn't care less about history for the most part.

Oh my. You sound like my teenage son trying to argue a point. Please do yourself a small favor and Google Thomas Edison, or go to his Wiki page. You may be enlightened by what your read.;)

It's obvious that you don't care about history. The history of Quenneville is that he's not really rational when it comes to some of his decision making. If you paid attention to his history, you'd know this.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Oh my. You sound like my teenage son trying to argue a point. Please do yourself a small favor and Google Thomas Edison. You may be enlightened by what your read.;)

It's obvious that you don't care about history. The history of Quenneville is that he's not really rational when it comes to some of his decision making. If you paid attention to his history, you'd know this.

I'm not arguing anything? I simply didn't like history. I found it boring.

Pretty much the only history I take a liking to or want to learn about, is hockey history.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I see that, once again, Q makes his point that he will do it his way by insering Pirri where he doesn’t belong and let him sink or swim. I can understand his insistence that every player play 2-way hockey, but he is taking it to the extreme, and setting Pirri up for another trip to RFD. Here’s hoping that Pirri finds himself with some support and does something spectacular on offense tonight that Q simply can’t ignore.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Trying not to be argumentative here, Bobby. But why is there a problem with a player playing his way onto the 2nd line, as opposed to just giving him the spot? If Pirri shows he can handle the bigs, and plays well on the 4th line, maybe Q will be more inclined to give him a shot?

I would have zero problem with Pirri being given a chance if he shows he has game on the 4th line and forces Q's hand. He can't just sulk (like some here) because he's on the 4th line. Give it your all, and force Q to make a change.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Trying not to be argumentative here, Bobby. But why is there a problem with a player playing his way onto the 2nd line, as opposed to just giving him the spot? If Pirri shows he can handle the bigs, and plays well on the 4th line, maybe Q will be more inclined to give him a shot?

I would have zero problem with Pirri being given a chance if he shows he has game on the 4th line and forces Q's hand. He can't just sulk (like some here) because he's on the 4th line. Give it your all, and force Q to make a change.

Alright, same formula for TT too, right?

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Sometimes a coach has to use a player's strengths and put them in a position where they will succeed. If you have an offensive defenseman you use him on the power play you don't insist that he master a shutdown role first. Kane is an offensive genius. He wasn't made to kill penalties and show he could handle fourth line duties before he made the team. (yes, I understand that Pirri is not Kane. I'm just using the example to illustrate a point)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sometimes a coach has to use a player's strengths and put them in a position where they will succeed. If you have an offensive defenseman you use him on the power play you don't insist that he master a shutdown role first. Kane is an offensive genius. He wasn't made to kill penalties and show he could handle fourth line duties before he made the team. (yes, I understand that Pirri is not Kane. I'm just using the example to illustrate a point)

Agreed. I also agree with Hawkaholic that players should work their way up the lineup...usually. But yeah, Pirri, TT, Kane, I mean, you might hurt the team putting them there. So instead Pirri played a lot in the AHL and proved himself that way. Whereas a guy like Smith, Hayes, Shaw, their opportunities came quicker because they had a skill set that could help the team on any line.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

…. And I think that’s exactly what Pirri did in his previous game, only to be sat in the next outing. I suppose if Q insists on this, he needs to play the same … however, we all know that offense is what got him here. We already have too many lightweights playing on the 4th line and I very much doubt that Pirri’s defensive prowess will ever be enough to be a regular 4th liner in the NHL. If he just plays Kruger-like conservative, take no risks type hockey, will that be enough to impress Q? I doubt it. IMO, Q should be playing 26 on the 4th line at least until he is in top shape to play part-time second line center (assuming he hasn’t lost another step, he looks pretty sluggish these days). Pirri needs a chance to show he can play top 6 hockey, and not for 1 or 2 games, but for a good stint.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
…. And I think that’s exactly what Pirri did in his previous game, only to be sat in the next outing. I suppose if Q insists on this, he needs to play the same … however, we all know that offense is what got him here. We already have too many lightweights playing on the 4th line and I very much doubt that Pirri’s defensive prowess will ever be enough to be a regular 4th liner in the NHL. If he just plays Kruger-like conservative, take no risks type hockey, will that be enough to impress Q? I doubt it. IMO, Q should be playing 26 on the 4th line at least until he is in top shape to play part-time second line center (assuming he hasn’t lost another step, he looks pretty sluggish these days). Pirri needs a chance to show he can play top 6 hockey, and not for 1 or 2 games, but for a good stint.

or for those who need a visual

square.peg_.round_.hole_.jpg

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Alright, same formula for TT too, right?
I don't have a problem with that, get used to he NHL game in sheltered minutes and show the coach you belong in the top 9 on a Cup contender.

…. And I think that’s exactly what Pirri did in his previous game,.

I guess that's where we disagree, I didn't see him sticking out at all.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm with you on this. He wasn't bad, just didn't stick out. He'll get his next chance today. See what he does. Hope for the best

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm with you on this. He wasn't bad, just didn't stick out. He'll get his next chance today. See what he does. Hope for the best

Ya, don't get me wrong, I would love for Pirri to step up and be that #2C, I just haven't seen that ability from him in the NHL yet. I want to see that ability before pigeon holing him into the #2C where he is pretty much guaranteed to look at least OK playing with Hossa and Sharp, like Kruger has. (I know, Kruger haters will say he looked like crap, which isn't true from that last game, he set up Sharp and Hossa a couple times without them being able to finish)

I like defensive minded C's with Hossa and Sharp, gives them the ability to take chances without worrying too much about our own end.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I'm no Pirri defender, but he isn't a fourth-line fit. I think it's Q showing he gave the kid a chance while also potentially intentionally setting him up to fail.

I don't think Q likes him at all. I'm 99.9 percent sure. If this is the case, deal him.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't have a problem with that, get used to he NHL game in sheltered minutes and show the coach you belong in the top 9 on a Cup contender.

I guess that's where we disagree, I didn't see him sticking out at all.

When I commented on Pirri's play in the single RS game he played in, I was quoting the statement if "Pirri shows he can handle the bigs, and plays well on the 4th line".

That is not standing out, per se, but I saw nothing wrong with his performance.

Playing on the 4th line makes it difficult for any player to "stand out". Maybe tonight he will do more and won't be stuck all game with 52 and 16 as his wingers... some PP time on the second unit would be nice. At least there he would be in a role more suited to his game.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
After reading all the posts of this thread here are my thoughts.

1) Brandon Pirri has the second most potential of any centerman on the Blackhawk roster right now.

2) Brandon Pirri is currently the worst centerman on the Blackhawk roster right now.

3) Sharp and Hossa would rather play with Handzus than hold Pirri's hand as he develops.

4) Stan is looking toward the future and wants Pirri developed.

5) Q is a win first coach (24 game point streak!) and is more focused on icing the best lineup each night than planning for the future.

Conclusion: We have a coach who is acting like a coach (win first) and a GM who is acting like a GM (big picture). I think it is very healthy to have two leaders in the organization with different ideas. Stan and Q both have pretty solid tract records and if this supposed conflict necessitates the two to talk more about the current and future state of the team I think it only helps the Blackhawk organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad