Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, everyone knows I'm no fan of Q, but there have been a few guys.

Like you said Hammer, as well as Leddy, Saad, and Shaw have all developed under Q. Even Kane is more defensively responsible. That doesn't mean I agree with most of his decisions regarding the roster, however.

I'd argue Stalberg as well.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That was more like in spite of Q. Since he was often in his doghouse.

Playoffs yes, but he was terrible when the Hawks acquired him from the Leafs (although he had tools). He turned himself into a pretty respectable hockey player (especially defensively, where he's at least slightly below average) under Q. He just sucks in the playoffs.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And how in the hell is the kid supposed to prove he belongs in the top 6 playing with Ben Smith and Brandon Bollig? I wish Pirri was given a fraction of the chance Kruger was unjustly gifted to show he belongs in the top six.

So Kruger was gifted a spot in the top 6 for no reason? Tell me then, why should Pirri be gifted a top 6 spot for no reason?\

Pirri has done NOTHING to deserve even a shot in the top 6. His play (no matter who it was with) has left a lot to be desired. If he can't make any decent plays or have any decent chances playing sheltered minutes then how the hell is he going to do that against some of the best D in the league? Bollig and Smith looked better the other night than Pirri did.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Hawkaholic;72626531 Oduya said:
So a NHL vet, a 1st rounder, a guy that has been in the system for 6 years, a #2nd rounder that should have been a 1st rounder, and an overall #1?

Where's Q?

Kilmer-ImYourHuckleberry.jpg

Down by the creek, walking on water.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I am still waiting to see a player who has blossomed, flourished or developed under Q's tutelage.
There shouldn't be any. This is the NHL, not the AHL. Players should be prepared to play when they are called up to any NHL or any major league team. Once the season starts, there are many games and little practice time. Players need to be ready to play. Ex-coaches say this on tv all the time. His job is to coach, not to develop. He's won 2 SCs in 4 years, is going to the HHoF, and knows what he's doing. If we go down 2 games in a playoff series again, please no more fire Q & Bowman threads.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
NHL coaches still need to develop players.

Also Kruger did way less to deserve his initial shot than Pirri has at this point to deserve his; I'm not sure how that is even an argument at this point. Q can do no wrong I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So Kruger was gifted a spot in the top 6 for no reason? Tell me then, why should Pirri be gifted a top 6 spot for no reason?\

Pirri has done NOTHING to deserve even a shot in the top 6. His play (no matter who it was with) has left a lot to be desired. If he can't make any decent plays or have any decent chances playing sheltered minutes then how the hell is he going to do that against some of the best D in the league? Bollig and Smith looked better the other night than Pirri did.

LOL … Nice spin “sheltered minutesâ€. Pirri was +1 playing on the 4th line (which means he did his job) and which is not bad for a guy forced into a role that doesn’t suit his skill, with limited ice time on the 4th line. The line did not have a bad game at all … and please refrain from these umbrella statements about his defensive game …. and DO feel free to point out all his defensive shortcomings in the game itself.
I don’t think anyone here wants to gift a job to Pirri, just wants to see him get a fair chance. Seems neither Q nor the detractors here want to give him that chance. Unfortunately it’s likely going to take a major injury for him to get a genuine opportunity here. Meanwhile, if Pirri is destined to go to the press box tonight, with the intention of keeping him around for the Hanzus maintenance days, they may as well send him back down to RFD.

Pirri has not said much, but I imagine his fuse is getting shorter.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Hopefully, Piri gets traded, if he doesn't get some real ice time in Chicago. He has very little left to prove to the Hawks.

I haven't seen Stanton play much but he has 3 assists, +1 and averaging 13 mins of ice time.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Just because we HAVE won a cup with a fourth line center playing in our top six doesn't mean that's we SHOULD strive for. Pirri has the ability to put up 60+ points and his defense isn't anywhere near as atrocious as you and others on these boards make it out to be.

If you want a defensively responsible limited upside player to play the second line pivot I'm ok with that. Somebody like Goc, Zach Smith, etc. But go get a decent one instead of plugging in an extra forward in Handzus or a physically weak fourth line center that can't win faceoffs.

If Kruger isn't doing extremely well defensively, he's a liability on the Hawks.

And how in the hell is the kid supposed to prove he belongs in the top 6 playing with Ben Smith and Brandon Bollig? I wish Pirri was given a fraction of the chance Kruger was unjustly gifted to show he belongs in the top six.

Also Kruger did way less to deserve his initial shot than Pirri has at this point to deserve his; I'm not sure how that is even an argument at this point. Q can do no wrong I suppose.

If I recall correctly, Pirri outplayed Kruger at their initial camp, stayed on the Hawks for two games, then was demoted. The tantalizing aspect of this is that I don't recall Pirri playing poorly, and in fact thought he was *respectable*. Including his last year at Rockford, I'd say he's earned his chance to claim the 2C spot.

LOL … Nice spin “sheltered minutesâ€. Pirri was +1 playing on the 4th line (which means he did his job) and which is not bad for a guy forced into a role that doesn’t suit his skill, with limited ice time on the 4th line. The line did not have a bad game at all … and please refrain from these umbrella statements about his defensive game …. and DO feel free to point out all his defensive shortcomings in the game itself.
I don’t think anyone here wants to gift a job to Pirri, just wants to see him get a fair chance. Seems neither Q nor the detractors here want to give him that chance. Unfortunately it’s likely going to take a major injury for him to get a genuine opportunity here. Meanwhile, if Pirri is destined to go to the press box tonight, with the intention of keeping him around for the Hanzus maintenance days, they may as well send him back down to RFD.

Pirri has not said much, but I imagine his fuse is getting shorter.

These posts essentially sum it all up. I think all of us want to know whether Pirri will sink or swim with second line duty, and we're all frustrated that he has not been given the opportunity to do so. If he does well, that's fantastic. If he fails, and looks like he'll never succeed, then he's done here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So a NHL vet, a 1st rounder, a guy that has been in the system for 6 years, a #2nd rounder that should have been a 1st rounder, and an overall #1?

Down by the creek, walking on water.

An NHL vet that was struggling before he came here.
Please, tell me when 1st rounders are guaranteed NHLers?
Q has been here for Bickells entire NHL career, he wasn't the player he is now when he came in.

Why are we discrediting Q just because of the players draft status, or NHl status prior to coming here? He made those players better, end of discussion.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Kruger has done more to date, in the NHL, than Pirri has. He has actually looked more like an NHLer than Pirri has in any of his brief stints.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
No, i'm not getting the point of gift wrapping Pirri a 2nd line C position that he has done nothing to deserve.

He is right. You're not getting it.

It really isn't difficult to understand the distinction between giving someone a chance to see how he looks at a position and "gift wrapping...a 2nd line C position".

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
It's pointless to give him a look if he can't handle sheltered mins and looks worse than 2 of our 4th liners.

Well that would be the case if it was actually true. I do appreciate the cognitive dissonance between those who support Kruger in a role he clearly isn't suited for and then turn around and harp on Pirri for not living up to whatever unrealistic expectations they have of him in a 4th line role, something he clearly isn't suited for. Good stuff.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well that would be the case if it was actually true. I do appreciate the cognitive dissonance between those who support Kruger in a role he clearly isn't suited for and then turn around and harp on Pirri for not living up to whatever unrealistic expectations they have of him in a 4th line role, something he clearly isn't suited for. Good stuff.

And that's what I don't get. If Pirri doesn't look good on the 4th line, in sheltered minutes, why should he be gifted a spot in the top 6?

Tell me, what 2nd line C in the entire NHL, wouldn't at least look like an NHLer in the 4th line C spot? Pirri didn't look like an NHLer the other night.

The "he isn't suited for 4th C" argument is just an excuse for the Pirri lover/Kruger hater group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad