Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I did not say rookie years only, read it as written. "Their 1st three seasons".

Make your case.

Both of their defensive games have improved, especially Kane. Toews was great at defense at first, but has most definitely improved and is now a Selke winner. Its really not debatable.

Just watched a video with Bickell naming Q as helping him get to where he is now. Also Kane and Keith talking about how good of a coach he is, and how he does certain things that really helps them like giving them enough rest and not pressuring them too much if they are having an off game etc. There were also articles about how Qs winning attitude wears off on the players and brings out the best of them when it matters.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

:laugh: So an article from JJ who is less reliable than Eklund, and who even puts it was "rumoured Bowman said something"

Another article from a completely baseless website "bleacher report", a place where I can write a blog about fictional info.

And another article from our arch rivals who probably based that info off of those rumours.

Find me a believable article, ike one from 2010, or from an actual Hawk beat writer, and I may believe this actually happened. And even if it did, management constantly talks about lineup changes and the game in general after every game.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
:laugh: So an article from JJ who is less reliable than Eklund, and who even puts it was "rumoured Bowman said something"

Another article from a completely baseless website "bleacher report", a place where I can write a blog about fictional info.

And another article from our arch rivals who probably based that info off of those rumours.

Find me a believable article, ike one from 2010, or from an actual Hawk beat writer, and I may believe this actually happened. And even if it did, management constantly talks about lineup changes and the game in general after every game.

You can search for a 3 year old article yourself, I found those quickly. Frankly, I don't need the reference material, I was here and lived it.

If you think those situations are typical, well...you need to get around a bit more.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You can search for a 3 year old article yourself, I found those quickly. Frankly, I don't need the reference material, I was here and lived it.

If you think those situations are typical, well...you need to get around a bit more.

I did, and found nothing. I lived it, and nothing was ever reported until JJ opened his mouth, from his "sources" :laugh:.

It is typical for GMs/Coaches to discuss things on a regular basis, and itks not typical to be in the Cup final and have one of the best coaches to ever live to get advice from. There are lots of coaches in the league, like Babcock and MacLean who have learned from Scotty, that would love to be able to get Scottys opinion on something in the middle of a SCF.

And whos to say that Q wasnt the one suggesting it and asking for their opinion on it? To top it off, he changed them during the game..Scotty is not at his side during a game.

Heres some more quotes btw

"It's a great start to the weekend with the Hawks announcing the contract for Q," Toews said. "It's much deserved. I mean he's done a lot of great things for his team since he's been here in Chicago."

"I think he's helped me in a lot of ways, especially defensively," said Kane, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy this year for NHL playoff MVP. "That part of the game, and how to prepare yourself as a player and how to get yourself ready for certain games and be ready at all times."

"I always tend to see Joel as the same old, same coach. I mean that's what we appreciate out of him," defenceman Duncan Keith said. "You always know what you're getting.

"We all enjoy playing for him and I think he's always been a great coach."

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I did, and found nothing. I lived it, and nothing was ever reported until JJ opened his mouth, from his "sources" :laugh:.

It is typical for GMs/Coaches to discuss things on a regular basis, and itks not typical to be in the Cup final and have one of the best coaches to ever live to get advice from. There are lots of coaches in the league, like Babcock and MacLean who have learned from Scotty, that would love to be able to get Scottys opinion on something in the middle of a SCF.

And whos to say that Q wasnt the one suggesting it and asking for their opinion on it? To top it off, he changed them during the game..Scotty is not at his side during a game.

Heres some more quotes btw

"It's a great start to the weekend with the Hawks announcing the contract for Q," Toews said. "It's much deserved. I mean he's done a lot of great things for his team since he's been here in Chicago."

"I think he's helped me in a lot of ways, especially defensively," said Kane, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy this year for NHL playoff MVP. "That part of the game, and how to prepare yourself as a player and how to get yourself ready for certain games and be ready at all times."

"I always tend to see Joel as the same old, same coach. I mean that's what we appreciate out of him," defenceman Duncan Keith said. "You always know what you're getting.

"We all enjoy playing for him and I think he's always been a great coach."

Gee, I expected to see a bunch of quotes from current players that went along the lines of..Oh they resigned that idiot, he almost blew the Cup.

Don't be so gullible, Q's a big time old boys' network guy as are 99% of the players, until they let their hair down. Then you hear how they really felt.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Gee, I expected to see a bunch of quotes from current players that went along the lines of..Oh they resigned that idiot, he almost blew the Cup.

Don't be so gullible, Q's a big time old boys' network guy as are 99% of the players, until they let their hair down. Then you hear how they really felt.

This is where your goalposts were.

This is where you just moved them to.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

LOL .... If Toews or any player did not like his coaching decisions, they'd certainly tell the press at first opportunity.... but ..... Q can do no wrong. You should know that by now MM and don't dare state your opinion if it's to the contrary. Once again this person turns discussion into a confrontation. It's tiring.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Toews was at the forefront of the Savard firing. He didn't believe we would win a Cup with him at the helm. Not taking sides, just playing devils advocate.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
If Savard had the stuff to be a great coach, then someone else would have hired him. He actually did better as coach than I thought he would, but replacing him was definitely the right move.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How can you bash Quenneville? 2 Stanley Cups not good enough for you?

"Yeah, we won the Cup, but we almost didn't win the Cup. 16-0 or bust!"

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't see why any of the core players would have a problem with him. Whether he's responsible for any of their development or they would have been fine anyway, they've all had success under him and they all have very secure positions on the team - it's not like if, say, Sharp decides to float for a couple of weeks he's going to find himself on the 3rd line.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't see why any of the core players would have a problem with him. Whether he's responsible for any of their development or they would have been fine anyway, they've all had success under him and they all have very secure positions on the team - it's not like if, say, Sharp decides to float for a couple of weeks he's going to find himself on the 3rd line.

Well say what the over the top Q bashers will about him, he's not a moron. Obviously he's not going to bench established stars.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Well say what the over the top Q bashers will about him, he's not a moron. Obviously he's not going to bench established stars.

yeah, i get that...in a way, that's my point. that those guys aren't going to have problems with his coaching decisions.

sorry, maybe i misunderstood some of the above posts. i thought it was being suggested that toews, et al. might have some sort of problem with him but were too savvy to go public...and my point was i doubt that they do. why would they?

also...i wouldn't call myself a 'q basher'...and i really don't appreciate the sentiment of some here that anyone saying anything that isn't totally positive is somehow speaking out of turn.

i also think he is fairly good at developing players - and one of the reasons is that he will give young players important roles - look at saad...i don't care what you say but there are coaches out there (a guy like Babcock comes to mind) who would never have given him the role he was given last year...same with leddy, shaw.

i guess my problem with Q is he can be very pigheaded at times and it seems that once he gets a notion about something (or, i guess more specifically, 'someone') he doesn't change his mind. his dog house is a permanent one. i also don't like his love of aging slow vets - but i guess in his defense many coaches are the same.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
yeah, i get that...in a way, that's my point. that those guys aren't going to have problems with his coaching decisions.

sorry, maybe i misunderstood some of the above posts. i thought it was being suggested that toews, et al. might have some sort of problem with him but were too savvy to go public...and my point was i doubt that they do. why would they?

also...i wouldn't call myself a 'q basher'...and i really don't appreciate the sentiment of some here that anyone saying anything that isn't totally positive is somehow speaking out of turn.

i also think he is fairly good at developing players - and one of the reasons is that he will give young players important roles - look at saad...i don't care what you say but there are coaches out there (a guy like Babcock comes to mind) who would never have given him the role he was given last year...same with leddy, shaw.

i guess my problem with Q is he can be very pigheaded at times and it seems that once he gets a notion about something (or, i guess more specifically, 'someone') he doesn't change his mind. his dog house is a permanent one. i also don't like his love of aging slow vets - but i guess in his defense many coaches are the same.

That right there is my main gripe right now.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Agree with the bolded. Would add line combos, and his unwavering loyalty to his cronies (aka coaching staff). There are probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Q shouldn't really be doubted and given the benefit of the doubt until he fails bigtime... Many of our players made the league when he was coach, they like him, he is a 2x SC Winner with us and he'll be a HoF Coach for sure. He'll be remembered as one of the best all time when all is said and done.

that being said, he makes mistakes and isn't perfect, but we could do MUCH worse for sure

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
If Savard had the stuff to be a great coach, then someone else would have hired him. He actually did better as coach than I thought he would, but replacing him was definitely the right move.

I agree that Savard was not a very good coach. However, I believe that he allowed the young players that he had at the time get a taste of the NHL and get confidence. I think it served an important purpose for the Hawks at that stage. This was in sharp contrast to a guy like Brian Sutter who seemed to intimidate young guys and didn't accept rookie mistakes.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Scotty Bowman is still making an impact on the Stanley Cup landscape. On the flight back from Philadelphia, after losing two games and all their Stanley Cup final momentum at the Wachovia Center, Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville had the idea to hand out pieces of paper to advisor Scotty Bowman, general manager Stan Bowman, to his assistant coaches. "He said, 'put down some lines,'" said Scotty Bowman, who sat next to Quenneville on the flight. ... In making his suggestions, Bowman started with a basic premise: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger -- through the first four games -- was dominating the 'Hawks top line of captain Jonathan Toews and wingers Dustin Byfuglien and Patrick Kane. They needed to be broken apart so Philadelphia coach Peter Laviolette would be forced to choose against which of the three he would want to play Pronger, leaving the other two more room, perhaps.

Toronto Sun

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_...-behind-hawks-brilliant-line-call?eref=fromSI

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

It's just his lineup choices and when he tries to out "strategerize" the other coach that things go to hell. He was outcoached by Babcock last year (and every other year he was matched against him) and Vigneault (who is a terrible coach) when we were summarily dismissed in the first round before that.

We were able to win despite his poor tactical and lineup knowledge because the depth on the team's forwards is excessive and has been for a long time. If we don't take any injuries there's only two or three teams in the league that can even hold with us.

So, did we win because of a shrewd coach or did we almost lose because of a bumbling coach?

That IS the point.

What do you mean, oh wait? He split that line up and we had success.

There are many instances of Q switching things up and us having success...too many to list.

Bowman came up with the suggestion is what I think he is getting at.

First I have heard this, and even if true, coaches and GM discuss games/lineup decisions as a group after/before every game.

IIRC, Q switched the lines during GM3? So did Bowamna come out of the pressbox and down to the bench to suggest this? (honest question)

Agree with the bolded. Would add line combos, and his unwavering loyalty to his cronies (aka coaching staff). There are probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

Scotty Bowman is still making an impact on the Stanley Cup landscape. On the flight back from Philadelphia, after losing two games and all their Stanley Cup final momentum at the Wachovia Center, Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville had the idea to hand out pieces of paper to advisor Scotty Bowman, general manager Stan Bowman, to his assistant coaches. "He said, 'put down some lines,'" said Scotty Bowman, who sat next to Quenneville on the flight. ... In making his suggestions, Bowman started with a basic premise: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger -- through the first four games -- was dominating the 'Hawks top line of captain Jonathan Toews and wingers Dustin Byfuglien and Patrick Kane. They needed to be broken apart so Philadelphia coach Peter Laviolette would be forced to choose against which of the three he would want to play Pronger, leaving the other two more room, perhaps.

Toronto Sun

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_...-behind-hawks-brilliant-line-call?eref=fromSI

There's the condensed version of the Quenneville coaching legacy. Some analyze the moves, others say well... even if Scotty made the right moves that's how it's always done.

Of course all citations will be discredited and we are left to rely on typical locker room responses from current players. Very insightful, like we gotta play 'em one game at a time and stay within ourselves. :laugh:

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
How did this move from a post about Pirri to one about the Q? Understanding that Pirri is in the doghouse, any chance he is in the lineup tonight against the Blues?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Toronto Sun

OK, that proves that Q was the one who wanted to switch the lines. It was his idea, not Scottys.

2 cups in 4 years..enough said.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
LOL .... If Toews or any player did not like his coaching decisions, they'd certainly tell the press at first opportunity.... but ..... Q can do no wrong. You should know that by now MM and don't dare state your opinion if it's to the contrary. Once again this person turns discussion into a confrontation. It's tiring.

He asked me to find an article where players attributed their success to Q. I did that, but now it's not good enough because they are current players, and how could current players say anything bad about their coach. We call that "moving the goal posts".

Current players could just say nothing, but they don't, they like him.

Block me if you don't like my opinions, I could give 2 *****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad