Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Lol, Kruger gets knocked down because he's always involved in the play. He's always battling along the boards - and he wins more than his fair share. Pirri doesn't because he's a passenger, waiting for someone else on his line to get the puck for him.

People pointing to Pirri's faceoff % last night don't know very much about him. Two words, one name folks: Brad Mills. That's who takes a hefty percentage of Pirri's faceoffs in the AHL. You can guess why.

Kruger is always on his knees because he can't stay on his skates along the wall or in front of the net. He lacks lower body strength. Nothing more, nothing less. Pirri was along the boards and not on his knees. While he seems neither faster nor slower than Kruger, he's obviously stronger on his skates.

I made no verdict on his faceoff ability. However, Pirri has taken all manner of faceoffs in the Rockford games I've personally seen over the past two years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Good, step 2 is putting him in at 2C and leaving him there for the rest of the season.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Kruger is always on his knees because he can't stay on his skates along the wall or in front of the net. He lacks lower body strength. Nothing more, nothing less. Pirri was along the boards and not on his knees. While he seems neither faster nor slower than Kruger, he's obviously stronger on his skates.

I made no verdict on his faceoff ability. However, Pirri has taken all manner of faceoffs in the Rockford games I've personally seen over the past two years.

Kruger has decent speed while it looks like Pirri has less than decent speed to me (admittedly small sample size). But then Pirri has more speed than the glacier known as Handzus, and Handzus spends a lot of time as the 2C - so Pirri's speed should not preclude him from playing 2C so long as he is effectively dishing the puck to Sharp and Hossa.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Blackhawks' lines during practice: 29--19--88, 10--26--81, 20--65--42, 52--16--28. Pirri not on a line.

I hope Q isn't serious. It was one ****ing game. You can't judge a player based on one damn game. I think Q is a very good coach and should stay here as long as he wants to keep coaching, but some of the **** he does honestly baffles me.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Pirri deserves a shot. He has the talent. A one-game sample size to determine the guy isn't fit for the second line or any line is a load of crap. If Q isn't a Pirri fan, then I think it's time Brandon is given a fair shot in another organization. I just don't understand why he's already going to get scratched.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The only way he gets a real chance is Toews going down for the season and even then, 50-50.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The only confusing thing to me is that people just now realize he's not being given a real chance.

Like who?

It has been obvious the last few years they don't like his overall skillset. Over the past couple years, they'll give him a game or two. He gets a cup of coffee at the NHL level, little time to adjust, and then a bus ticket back to Rockford.

Pirri needs to be given a couple weeks in the top-six to show Stan and Q what he is capable of. The AHL and NHL are completely different in terms of speed. I think it's obvious the best of the best are in the NHL. If given a couple weeks to adjust to the NHL level and develop chemistry with consistent linemates, athough that will be tough with Q's constant juggling, the coaching staff and management can truly gauge if Pirri is the right guy for a Cup run this year as one of their centers.

If he doesn't cut it, include him in a package for an upgrade at the TD. It's pretty simple.

Last edited:

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
They should have done it, last summer. Q and Stan are going to let him die on the vine.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Why is everyone acting surprised? He was obviously brought up with Handzus out. Handzus is back, so he's the odd man out. They may as well send him back down. Maybe give Morin his chance next?

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Like who?

It has been obvious the last few years they don't like his overall skillset. Over the past couple years, they'll give him a game or two. He gets a cup of coffee at the NHL level, little time to adjust, and then a bus ticket back to Rockford.

Pirri needs to be given a couple weeks in the top-six to show Stan and Q what he is capable of. The AHL and NHL are completely different in terms of speed. I think it's obvious the best of the best are in the NHL. If given a couple weeks to adjust to the NHL level and develop chemistry with consistent linemates, athough that will be tough with Q's constant juggling, the coaching staff and management can truly gauge if Pirri is the right guy for a Cup run this year as one of their centers.

If he doesn't cut it, include him in a package for an upgrade at the TD. It's pretty simple.

Pirri has two options. 1) He can step in and help the team immediately, or 2) he can go **** himself.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I hope Q isn't serious. It was one ****ing game. You can't judge a player based on one damn game. I think Q is a very good coach and should stay here as long as he wants to keep coaching, but some of the **** he does honestly baffles me.

I've said it over and over - it was obvious in the summer the second that Q contradicted Bowman/McDonagh's statement that Pirri would get a shot at 2c that Q was never giving him a chance. I do not know how you can be slightly surprised.

Q has decided his does not like Pirri and if there is something we know very well about Q it is that once he has decided he does not like a player he will not change his mind.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
why are you surprised? Pirri had a game nobody would remember if it wasn't for the name on the back.

I don't think 1 game is enough to show what you have, but Pirri did nothing to suggest he earned more chances and that you just can't sit him. His D leaves a lot to be desired at the NHL level.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

You are overestimating our coach...grotesquely. The bold is one of the many reasons why.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
why are you surprised? Pirri had a game nobody would remember if it wasn't for the name on the back.

I don't think 1 game is enough to show what you have, but Pirri did nothing to suggest he earned more chances and that you just can't sit him. His D leaves a lot to be desired at the NHL level.

I'm not surprised he isn't being given a fair shake again. I just thought it would be three games in or something, not one.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Replace Pirri with Kruger and D with offense and you have two+ years of valid criticism.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I know, but Pirris Offense isn't really that great and proven at the NHL level while Krügers defense IS.

Not to mention the need on our team and there is a difference

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Just because we HAVE won a cup with a fourth line center playing in our top six doesn't mean that's we SHOULD strive for. Pirri has the ability to put up 60+ points and his defense isn't anywhere near as atrocious as you and others on these boards make it out to be.

If you want a defensively responsible limited upside player to play the second line pivot I'm ok with that. Somebody like Goc, Zach Smith, etc. But go get a decent one instead of plugging in an extra forward in Handzus or a physically weak fourth line center that can't win faceoffs.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
And how in the hell is the kid supposed to prove he belongs in the top 6 playing with Ben Smith and Brandon Bollig? I wish Pirri was given a fraction of the chance Kruger was unjustly gifted to show he belongs in the top six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad