Recalled/Assigned: Pirri Recalled, Hayes Sent Down

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'd like the Hawks to work towards this eventual lineup...

Saad/Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Pirri - Hossa
Bickell/Saad- Shaw - Morin
Bollig/Kruger - Handzus/Kruger - Smith

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
We can only hope he sticks. Please Pirri, play with urgency. At least try to play D.

Although with Handzus playing on the 4th line last night I do like Pirri's chances to stick with Hossa and Sharp. Maybe he's the spark they need right now.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I like the those lines too. I do think they'll need Bickell on the top line in the post-season (he proved invaluable in that role last year just like Buff before him), but might as well save him for then.

More than a few of us speculated that Q would interchange Saad with Bickell on the 1st line, depending largely on the ops and the flow of the game. That seems to be Q's thinking right now.

That said, Q got a bit carried away with line combos again (similar to what he did on a nightly basis, season before last). I hope that is not a sign of things to come this year. I think it can unsettle the team when it gets as extreme as it was last evening.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Q sticks Pirri on 4th line duty, I will scream. If he benches him at the first sign of a deficient defensive play, I will scream. He needs to let him settle in, play his game as an offfensive 2nd line centerman, and show some confidence in him. If Pirri goes on the ice afraid to make a mistake, his game will suffer.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If Q sticks Pirri on 4th line duty, I will scream. If he benches him at the first sign of a deficient defensive play, I will scream. He needs to let him settle in, play his game as an offfensive 2nd line centerman, and show some confidence in him. If Pirri goes on the ice afraid to make a mistake, his game will suffer.

He will not do that. I agree with you on what should happen. I'm just saying it won't.

THis is a positive development, though. Q obviously would have had input into the situation - Stan wouldn't just randomly demote someone then surprise Q with the news later. So at least it seems like Q is receptive to giving Pirri some sort of shot. It remains to be seen what exactly the "shot" is.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Line juggling is going to be fun!

Can see Zeus, Kruger, Shaw, and Pirri all playing 2C-4C. All of them (except for Zeus) will be playing wing too.

Besides Toews at 1C and Bollig a 4th line wing I think everyone will be playing up and down the lineup.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011

Sharp - Pirri - Hossa

Love those lines. If I remember correctly, Q said he would give Hossa and Handzus days off so I think it would make sense calling Morin up and sending Nordstrom down for more offense.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

If Pirri goes on the ice afraid to make a mistake he's not ready for the Blackhawks roster. At some point as a player you have to say to hell with the coach, this is my spot. Confidence/moxy/swagger, whatever term you use, you have to have it in professional sports. Pirri has always looked a little shy when up with the big boys previously and in camp this year. If he wants it he's got to go and get. It's not like every player to make the NHL was the apple of their coaches eye. Bring it Pirri! You will make HFBoards happy in the process :yo:

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Sharp - Pirri - Hossa

I'd like to see:

10/19/88- sharp seems to be a little off- so jumpstart him

20/Pirri/81- 81 has slowed down enough that Pirri might be able to keep up, and 20/81 will help the defensively challenged 37

29/42/65- re-unite 29/65 cause they both look a little off so far- and 42 is/will be better than 16- 42 better finisher/playmaker- faster than 16.

52 or Morin/16/28 flipping 26 in and out.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
They're going to reassign Nordstrom .....

Makes sense IMO....

Huh? It says right there in the same sentence that announced Pirri being recalled that Hayes was sent down.

I don't understand the Nordstrom naysaying. He played very well last night - and not just his goal scored. There is no contest that he has played better than both Hayes and Smith in these first 4 games. He's quicker, better defensively, and he has better instincts and hockey IQ than both Hayes and Smith. All this "he's not big enough" or "he's not experienced enough" or the real head scratcher "he stinks" is baloney. The kid played pretty well last night and I'm excited that maybe the Hawks have found a pretty good bottom-6 guy.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
looks like he finally gets his chance. Hope for some good times and lots of points. Would be great.

Knowing Q, he won't dress and if he does he'll get 3 minutes with Bollig and Zeus :laugh:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
PIRRI will not solve the missing right shot centre on faceoffs im the dzone from the dot to our goalie's right problem..BUT if he can finally get Sharp and Hossa to click and score some goals THEN that will keep him up permanently..we shall see if he is or is not the missing 2C solution...Need another offensive catalyst to make things happen...

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
I can just see it now, if Pirri falters (which I hope he doesnt), it will be all Qs fault, and not the player himself.

All depends on how he's used.If he's put in a position to succeed and does nothing then it's on him.If however he's set up to fail -ie 4th line with Bollig and Kruger-then it's on Q.Logically,a player with his skill set is a top6 player not a 4th liner.Dropping him between Sharp and Hossa should make that line very dangerous offensively.Any defensive deficiency that Pirri has should be more than compensated for by having 2 of the leagues better 2-way forwards on his wings.Besides he has improved that part of his game a fair bit.At least to the point where he's no longer a defensive black hole.Whether it's improved enough for the NHL(or to Q's liking)we'll just have to wait and see.Here's hoping !!!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Pointless to call up Pirri

Since we all know Q wont use him in his intended role. I expect Pirri to get a game or two on 4th line and then dumped

Morin would make more sense given how Q will likely use Pirri in coming games. As for Jimmy Hayes ,, Starting to sour on him (Should be trade bait)

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'd like to see:

10/19/88- sharp seems to be a little off- so jumpstart him

20/Pirri/81- 81 has slowed down enough that Pirri might be able to keep up, and 20/81 will help the defensively challenged 37

29/42/65- re-unite 29/65 cause they both look a little off so far- and 42 is/will be better than 16- 42 better finisher/playmaker- faster than 16.

52 or Morin/16/28 flipping 26 in and out.

Pirri is a pass-first center, Toews isn't. Sharp hasn't had a playmaking center since Kane, and as a matter of fact, has never had a playmaking center that I can think of besides Kane. The balance is Kane as a playmaker on the first line, and Pirri playmaking on the second line.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Brandon Pirri, sprouting boners across Chicagoland tonight. Unfortunately the only boner that counts will be right behind him on the bench, probably tapping Handzus on the shoulder.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Pointless to call up Pirri

Since we all know Q wont use him in his intended role. I expect Pirri to get a game or two on 4th line and then dumped

Morin would make more sense given how Q will likely use Pirri in coming games. As for Jimmy Hayes ,, Starting to sour on him (Should be trade bait)

So here we go. Hayes is going to be Bickell all over again, I fear.

Wouldn't it be interesting to look back and see the number of posters here who wanted BB out permanently.... and it lasted for quite a while.

Hayes may never get to BB's level, but he isn't nearly as bad as some are making him out to be.... he needs time.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Who said anything about Hayes being bad?

I just don't think he is NHL talent at this point and would be more valuable to Hawks as trade chip

Also with prospects in pipeline coming in organization (Including his baby brother) he simply has a limited future here

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
So here we go. Hayes is going to be Bickell all over again, I fear.

Wouldn't it be interesting to look back and see the number of posters here who wanted BB out permanently.... and it lasted for quite a while.

Hayes may never get to BB's level, but he isn't nearly as bad as some are making him out to be.... he needs time.

I agree that he is not that bad, but he won't get the time with the big club unless he soon establishes himself as a physical force (and I don't mean a punishing hitter; just a guy who uses his size to win battles and get to the net). He doesn't have the skill to make our top 6 and he doesn't grind enough for our bottom 6. He doesn't fill any special teams role either.

His issue is he doesn't seem to be what we need him to be. If he won't play bigger then he might have enough skill to catch on with a weaker club, but I doubt he makes it with us. The one thing that might open the door for him is if Hossa were out for any length of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad