Dreger: Pietrangelo to test UFA market

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A top 6 C goes down,,that is where Nylander fills in

Mikheyev moves up to the top 6 wing and Barabanov would be next in line.
So Mikheyev and Barbanov in your top six with two injuries and presumably Robertson who has hardly played in the NHL is there as well? Who is the third line center? Gauthier? I’m not sure he should even be an everyday player on a contender. That’s pretty weak tbh.
And then who slots in to fill in on the bottom six?
Just because fitting in AP can mathematically work without trading a significant forward doesn’t make it a smart move imo. I think it just wastes another year and delays the inevitable trade next year when Tavares and AP are another year older.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dallas has guys like Faksa, Gurianov, Hintz, and Heiskanen making ELC money. That's hardly the same quality you'll find on the UFA bargain bin where the best options are guys like Spezza or Wayne Simmonds for dirt cheap, and I doubt very much the Leafs have 4 rookies as good as those 4 who can step in to offset the top heavy top 6.

So using Dallas as an example of "going cheap in the bottom six" is misguided because those are ELC contracts for young star players. "Going cheap" means using unproven b-level prospects or washed up vets who'll sign for under $1 million in free agency in the bottom six. Completely different things.
wow i had no idea the likes of

Robertson
Barabanov
Sandin
Mikeyev
liljegrin
korshkov
Engvall
Lehtonen

all had such little value around the league

good to know these facts,,,,IF you are right then that completely reinforces my belief that Dubas is world class bad at his job

because all those names there are his handy work and our "next wave" of players to rep in.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not much worse then what Dallas has IMO

Dallas has Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Cogliano and Hintz up the middle to build four quality lines and still have an option to slide in another pivot from the wing to center if need be.

The Leafs don't have a third line centre let alone a fourth one in your scenario and you're pretending that Dallas and Toronto are comparable in terms of depth?

Nylander, Engvall and Gauthier, who you claimed as center depth, *combined* to take barely two faces off game. Engvall and Gauthier averaged *less* than a face-off game.

Get serious with this.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Robertson
Barabanov
Sandin
Mikeyev
liljegrin
korshkov
Engvall
Lehtonen

good to know these facts,,,,IF you are right then that completely reinforces my belief that Dubas is world class bad at his job

because all those names there are his handy work and our "next wave" of players to rep in.
Well if you’re proposing playing Sandin, Liljigren and Lehtonen in your bottom six forwards I give you full credit for thinking outside the box at least.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Robertson
Barabanov
Sandin
Mikeyev
liljegrin
korshkov
Engvall
Lehtonen

Didn't realize how talented the Leafs' defense prospects are. They're so good they can play forward in the bottom six as well?!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Dallas has guys like Faksa, Gurianov, Hintz, and Heiskanen making ELC money. That's hardly the same quality you'll find on the UFA bargain bin where the best options are guys like Spezza or Wayne Simmonds for dirt cheap, and I doubt very much the Leafs have 4 rookies as good as those 4 who can step in to offset the top heavy top 6.

So using Dallas as an example of "going cheap in the bottom six" is misguided because those are ELC contracts for young star players. "Going cheap" means using unproven b-level prospects or washed up vets who'll sign for under $1 million in free agency in the bottom six. Completely different things.

That's fair, but you could also look at it as Toronto having higher quality players in their top 6 to overcome some of that, depending on how you feel about Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Benn, Seguin, Radulov, etc.

We will see.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dallas has Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Cogliano and Hintz up the middle to build four quality lines and still have an option to slide in another pivot from the wing to center if need be.

The Leafs don't have a third line centre let alone a fourth one in your scenario and you're pretending that Dallas and Toronto are comparable in terms of depth?

Nylander, Engvall and Gauthier, who you claimed as center depth, *combined* to take barely two faces off game. Engvall and Gauthier averaged *less* than a face-off game.

Get serious with this.
You're calling Jamie Benn and Cogliano full time centers, but are challenging the idea that Gauthier or Nylander can play center?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think the bolded is pure homerism. The only guy on your list that's even close to proven enough to be relied upon is Mikheyev. Gauthier's the definition of a guy who should be a 13th forward, Engvall looks more like a 4th liner, and the rest are unproven rookies with almost no NHL experience.

And you're comparing them to guys like Hintz, Faksa, Perry, Comeau, Cogliano ...
wait??,,you have cog/com in their bottom 6??

Hinz was a career 22p -11 player before this season =s ,,,,,a unknown nobody when this year started

Faksa =s a career 15/15 guy,,,,perry= pulled off the so called"too old,too slow" scrap heap,,,

as for com/cog/perry they had 16 goals COMBINED and 51 total points,,that's a average of 5.3 g 17p each

i feel a big yawn coming

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That's fair, but you could also look at it as Toronto having higher quality players in their top 6 to overcome some of that, depending on how you feel about Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Benn, Seguin, Radulov, etc.

We will see.
No, it's impossible for the 3rd ranked offense in the league to hope to compete with the 27th ranked offense if they lose a couple of depth forwards

Reactions: Merrrlin

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
A top 6 C goes down,,that is where Nylander fills in

Mikheyev moves up to the top 6 wing and Barabanov would be next in line.

I don't want to see Nylander play another game at centre in my life. He was a travesty in the last game he played there. Utter garbage in the middle.

Reactions: Coach Parker

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

Robertson
Barabanov
Sandin
Mikeyev
liljegrin
korshkov
Engvall
Lehtonen

That is a mediocre list of prospects.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So Mikheyev and Barbanov in your top six with two injuries and presumably Robertson who has hardly played in the NHL is there as well? Who is the third line center? Gauthier? I’m not sure he should even be an everyday player on a contender. That’s pretty weak tbh.
And then who slots in to fill in on the bottom six?
Just because fitting in AP can mathematically work without trading a significant forward doesn’t make it a smart move imo. I think it just wastes another year and delays the inevitable trade next year when Tavares and AP are another year older.
all teams would struggle when a top 6 C drops,,,not many have 2 guys that can play #1 Matty/JT

i will put Nylander with ANY teams top 6c injury replacement

my 3rd C for now is engvall,,goat is my 4th and i am just using the names we have in our system ATM

who knows what will happen in UFA season.

and ya as top 6 injury reps,,i have 0 worry about putting Mikey/barb up there

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
There are many routes that the leafs can take if they land Pietrangelo, and they’re all worth it if you land him.

Bottom six forwards are some of the easiest pieces to acquire, the leafs can also move down a player like Mikheyev or nylander to that line to give it more punch if needed.

Even in the system they have the following players that are all capable of 4th line duty in Agostino, Korshov, Brooks, Malgin, Petan, Rodriquez. They have players with potential to play on the 3rd line with Robertson and Barabanov.

And that’s before even dipping into the UFA market and trades(to make space for Pietrangelo) for guys like Spezza, Thornton, Perry, Simmonds, Fast, Maroon, Boyle etc.

The leafs would gladly roll the dice with that, and if it’s not working can move someone like Nylander for a great haul.

Reactions: Merrrlin

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
wait??,,you have cog/com in their bottom 6??

Hinz was a career 22p -11 player before this season =s ,,,,,a unknown nobody when this year started

Faksa =s a career 15/15 guy,,,,perry= pulled off the so called"too old,too slow" scrap heap,,,

as for com/cog/perry they had 16 goals COMBINED and 51 total points,,that's a average of 5.3 g 17p each

i feel a big yawn coming
Hintz is an excellent player and has been for a while now. He has game changing speed mixed with good size and some decent skill as well.

Faksa is a borderline elite defensive center and has been getting well deserved Selke votes for several years. He is one of the best 3C's in the league.

Comeau and Cogliano are both very solid bottom 6 players.

You have no idea what you're talking about and it's been clear for a while now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
all teams would struggle when a top 6 C drops,,,not many have 2 guys that can play #1 Matty/JT

i will put Nylander with ANY teams top 6c injury replacement

my 3rd C for now is engvall,,goat is my 4th and i am just using the names we have in our system ATM

who knows what will happen in UFA season.

and ya as top 6 injury reps,,i have 0 worry about putting Mikey/barb up there
Correct. A lot of teams can’t replace injuries in the top 6. Those teams generally find themselves in the draft lottery and are not contenders. Top contenders like Tampa, Boston, Washington, St. Louis, Vegas, etc go with the next man up mantra and don’t miss a beat.
As for Nylander you’re moving a top 6 winger to another top 6 position. Akin to shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. You still need someone new in the top 6.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Man I hope any team but the leafs get Pietrangelo, because he is exactly what they need on the back end and their fans are sickening enough when they haven't won in 53 years let alone if they actually won a cup.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I get the bottom 6 being weak, but just imagine running this at one point in a game...

Tavares - Matthews- Marner

Rielly-Pietrangelo

Ridiculous. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad