Dreger: Pietrangelo to test UFA market

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nope,,cap friendly has 2 d listed that will be in the AHL,,,Rosen/Marincin,,that open 1.5m more

we move out Kerfoot and Johnsson that's another 7m off the books

so 2 trades and our 6.1m cap space grows to 14.6m

Two trades where you take back zero dollars.

Then those two roster spots need to be filled.

Dermott is an RFA. Mikheyev needs to be resigned. The roster spots for Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci need to be filled. The roster spots for Jason Spezza, Freddie Gauthier and Kyle Clifford need to be filled too. Plus Kerfoot's spot and Johnssons's spot that you are opening up with trades.

So you have $14.6 million. More than enough to sign Pietrangelo. Great, we'll slot him into the spot vacated by Tyson Barrie.

If Pietrangelo gets $10 million a season, that leaves you with $4.6 million to give raises to Dermott and Mikheyev as well as sign replacements for Spezza, Gauthier, Clifford, Kerfoot and Johnsson.

Looks like you've really thought this out well.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Nope,,cap friendly has 2 d listed that will be in the AHL,,,Rosen/Marincin,,that open 1.5m more

we move out Kerfoot and Johnsson that's another 7m off the books

so 2 trades and our 6.1m cap space grows to 14.6m
The 2 D you’re referring to are making at or near league minimum. Moving out Kerfoot and Johnsson leaves 7 open forward slots instead of 5. That still leaves 9 holes to fill with less than $15M and spending almost 2/3 of it on one player doesn’t change that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
that looks horrible
well then brother,,,,,, my team is truly screwed

since that is a mix our our top forward prospects(getting their shot)

and our 2 newest "hot" euro UFA pick ups

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Dermott is an RFA. Mikheyev needs to be resigned. The roster spots for Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci need to be filled. The roster spots for Jason Spezza, Freddie Gauthier and Kyle Clifford need to be filled too. Plus Kerfoot's spot and Johnssons's spot that you are opening up with trades.

So you have $14.6 million. More than enough to sign Pietrangelo. Great, we'll slot him into the spot vacated by Tyson Barrie.

If Pietrangelo gets $10 million a season, that leaves you with $4.6 million to give raises to Dermott and Mikheyev as well as sign replacements for Spezza, Gauthier, Clifford, Kerfoot and Johnsson.

Pietrangelo probably gets closer to 9 with so many teams having internal caps

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Whatever he wants.

Most Avs fans who write pairings that include Pietrangelo have their heads in the clouds. They know it require a radical departure from anything Joe has done before.
Sakic pursued Panarin all the way last summer and said he was one of the last couple of teams in the race, having offered deals of 4 x $12.5m and 7 x $11.6m. That being the case I don't see why it would be shocking to see Sakic hand out a 7 x $8.5-9m contract to the top free agent on the market.

Worth noting that Sakic experienced first hand the sort of impact that adding one of the leagues best two-way RHD's can have on a team, having won a cup after Ray Bourque and Rob Blake joined in consecutive deadlines, with Blake re-signing in UFA and again helping to push the Avs to one win away from the SCF in 2002.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The 2 D you’re referring to are making at or near league minimum. Moving out Kerfoot and Johnsson leaves 7 open forward slots instead of 5. That still leaves 9 holes to fill with less than $15M and spending almost 2/3 of it on one player doesn’t change that.

?????????

inking AP puts us at 6 D and ball park 6m cap left

that should be enough to fill out the bottom 6 forwards

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Pietrangelo is on of the top best defensmen in the league probably top 5. He has won a WJC, world championship, Olympic Gold Medal and the Stanley Cup. So I do not know what you are talking about with the "beginning"of his glory years? He doesn't need Toronto or any other team as he has already won everything. I think he will be effective until his mid to late 30s but there is absolutely no guarentee of that.
I was more discussing the ages where Pronger and Chara had their highest degrees of success. You are really backing up my premise that Pietrangelo will be a driving force for the majority of his 30’s for which ever team he signs with. There has been a lot of talk of how a 7 year contract would be an anchor on a team and I think we both agree that in his case this is not likely.

Reactions: wintersej

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
wow,,you really get freaked out over 5,,6 min a night guys

i'm just using what we have,,it's better then listing unkown UFA guys

if/when those "other guys" sign,,,i will gladly change my list

What we have in those 2 has proven it's not good enough.

Gauthier needs to go

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

actually, i have mate

i am putting AP at 9m/9.25 ish

Goat will get league min

We have prospects ready to play in robertson/Korshkov/Sandin/Liljegrin
KHL UFA Barabanov will be here

and then all that is left is to deal with Mikey and Derm,,,,however he sees fit.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
?????????

inking AP puts us at 6 D and ball park 6m cap left

that should be enough to fill out the bottom 6 forwards
You have roughly $5.6M using your numbers to fill 6F and a D slot. You might have a fun team to watch and you’ll win your share of 6-5 games, but that’s not how you build a championship caliber team.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
actually, i have mate

i am putting AP at 9m/9.25 ish

Goat will get league min

We have prospects ready to play in robertson/Korshkov/Sandin/Liljegrin
KHL UFA Barabanov will be here

and then all that is left is to deal with Mikey and Derm,,,,however he sees fit.

That sounds great! You've really thought it all through.

Of course with Spezza and Kerfoot gone, you only have three centers on the roster, but so what? I can't see how that would be a problem, mate.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You have roughly $5.6M using your numbers to fill 6F and a D slot. You might have a fun team to watch and you’ll win your share of 6-5 games, but that’s not how you build a championship caliber team.
maybe not but maybe it is

who knows what can happen at the trade deadline

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That sounds great! You've really thought it all through.

Of course with Spezza and Kerfoot gone, you only have three centers on the roster, but so what? I can't see how that would be a problem, mate.
3 centers???

Matty
JT
Egnvall
Goat
Nylander

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i'm not sure that is a fact
Agreed. It’s my opinion based on looking at other top teams bottom six.
And that’s just the lineup to start the season. Now, assume there are a couple of injuries in the top six like every team goes through. Which of those players moves up to the top six? Gauthier as the second line center?
Who do the Leafs call up from the farm to replace the players who move up.
Again, in my opinion, that’s not a viable lineup for a team looking to contend.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You think that's a Stanley Cup caliber bottom six? Really?

Not much worse then what Dallas has IMO

if they feel the need to tweek the bottom 6,,,well,,,, that is what the TD is for

If our bottom 6 can "hold the fort" and the top 6 actually do what they are paid for

ya,,then i am ok with this roster

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto will likely have at least 4 Elcs in the lineup next season:

Sandin
Liljegren
Robertson
Korshkov

I get what you’re saying but Dallas goin this far with 10 million in their bottom 6 at least shows you don’t need to be as invested as say NYI or Tampa. Likely not ideal but you make it work for a year if it means signing Pie.

Dallas has guys like Faksa, Gurianov, Hintz, and Heiskanen making ELC money. That's hardly the same quality you'll find on the UFA bargain bin where the best options are guys like Spezza or Wayne Simmonds for dirt cheap, and I doubt very much the Leafs have 4 rookies as good as those 4 who can step in to offset the top heavy top 6.

So using Dallas as an example of "going cheap in the bottom six" is misguided because those are ELC contracts for young star players. "Going cheap" means using unproven b-level prospects or washed up vets who'll sign for under $1 million in free agency in the bottom six. Completely different things.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed. It’s my opinion based on looking at other top teams bottom six.
And that’s just the lineup to start the season. Now, assume there are a couple of injuries in the top six like every team goes through. Which of those players moves up to the top six? Gauthier as the second line center?
Who do the Leafs call up from the farm to replace the players who move up.
Again, in my opinion, that’s not a viable lineup for a team looking to contend.
A top 6 C goes down,,that is where Nylander fills in

Mikheyev moves up to the top 6 wing and Barabanov would be next in line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not much worse then what Dallas has IMO

if they feel the need to tweek the bottom 6,,,well,,,, that is what the TD is for

If our bottom 6 can "hold the fort" and the top 6 actually do what they are paid for

ya,,then i am ok with this roster

I think the bolded is pure homerism. The only guy on your list that's even close to proven enough to be relied upon is Mikheyev. Gauthier's the definition of a guy who should be a 13th forward, Engvall looks more like a 4th liner, and the rest are unproven rookies with almost no NHL experience.

And you're comparing them to guys like Hintz, Faksa, Perry, Comeau, Cogliano ...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad