Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The only problem I have with Brassard is that he is much better than playing 3rd line center and also gets way less minutes than he should be getting for him to succeed in Pittsburgh. It is such a 1st world problem to have.
Maybe he will have much more time being with the Penguins for a full season and he will be placed in a position to excel and show what he can do without being a deadline acquisition and getting hurt shortly after.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Montreal would give the moon and stars for Brassard and Letang. The problem is their moon and stars are the glow in the dark hunks of plastic you got from the dollar store that you stuck to your ceiling as a kid.

Outside of Pacioretty, I don't really think I give a **** about anything from Montreal. Gallagher might be really good here, I guess. But we need a top pairing defenseman if/when we move Letang.

Drouin? Even though that contract is atrocious.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Im guessing Staal was a 3c? Considering he's a 1c now?

Uh, yes.

Do you think Staal is better than Sid or Geno? I never thought he was more than a 2C at best. He is 1C by default, really.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
The things I'd do to get Gallagher... extremely unlikely, and you'd have to shuffle other pieces to make the lineup work, but he's someone I really want on the Pens.

Shame Montreal doesn't have any appealing defensemen, because Brassard + Letang for Gallagher + a defenceman, plus a new center from a Kessel trade perhaps, and you would have solved a lot of issues. Still RW-heavy, but a bit more feistyness.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The things I'd do to get Gallagher... extremely unlikely, and you'd have to shuffle other pieces to make the lineup work, but he's someone I really want on the Pens.

Shame Montreal doesn't have any appealing defensemen, because Brassard + Letang for Gallagher + a defenceman, plus a new center from a Kessel trade perhaps, and you would have solved a lot of issues. Still RW-heavy, but a bit more feistyness.
I too would like to have Gallagher, but we already have Hornqvist and Kessel on the right and Sprong will hopefully earn a spot. Rust can play either side ... wait ... I just talked myself into it ... :laugh:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
It would have to take a really really good deal for me to want to trade a career 2C who is on a $3 million salary cap hit. I get that you don't want to lose him for nothing after this year, but this is the type of player on the type of contract that you need to get the depth everyone wants.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The perfect Brass trade to me would be to trade him for a young 3rd line center that you have control over for more then 1 year.

Someone like a Chris Tierney.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The perfect Brass trade to me would be to trade him for a young 3rd line center that you have control over for more then 1 year.

Someone like a Chris Tierney.

If the Stars miss out on Tavares, which they will, I'd like Faksa on his deal, and still an RFA at the end of it. Someone else surely thought of this already.

Reactions: Shady Machine

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
If it doesn’t involve the Leafs, it won’t make the main page. What color tie was Dubas seen wearing yesterday? Let me check the trade rumor board...

The rest of the board absolutely hates us too. They’ll put it on us but in reality it’s pure jealousy on a tom Brady/patriots level

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The rest of the board absolutely hates us too. They’ll put it on us but in reality it’s pure jealousy on a tom Brady/patriots level
I just can’t stand most Leafs’ fans on the main board. They haven’t made it past the first round in the playoffs in what like 15 years?
I get it, it is an original 6 team and all of that crap. But they’ve been an embarrassment since the league expanded to 12 teams. No one cares outside of Toronto.
There aren’t nearly as many Penguins’ threads on the main board. We don’t need t

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not 100% against trading him...I would just have to see the return before I decided yay or nay.

Question becomes, does the return make us a better team? Is Sheahan ready to be a the 3C? Are we getting a 3C back? Will this upgrade from...somewhere...have a bigger impact that Brass will?

Problem is, injury or no injury, Brass ready didn't do himself any favors. He was ok...but only okay.
Wonder what Brassard+Maatta could bring back?

Dumo-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Olek-UFA signing or return from trade.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Not saying we shouldn't trade him for the right pieces, but I just don't see it right now. I also don't think Pierre has good inside Penguins information generally speaking. He loves to act like he does but his big claims / guesses never pan out (that I can recall).

Also I like having Brassard here. His value to us goes through the f-ing roof the minute Sid or Geno have to sit out a few games. More so even than Staal did IMO. It's pretty rare to be able to have your back-up C be as good as this guy is, and also most of the time be able to say "hey the pressure's not on you — just go out there and do what you do," like with Kessel.

My opinion counts for roadkill but I don't trade Brassard unless it's a big move that shores up multiple areas for the next 5-6 years. Maybe GMJR is going to get JJ and then package both him and Brassard (and cap-space throw-ins) for some Bob Barker-sized block-buster deal to get younger, top-notch talent... but seems unlikely.

I hear Arvidsson and Forsberg want to play here. I mean look at their D. A total shambles. They need JJ.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not 100% against trading him...I would just have to see the return before I decided yay or nay.

Question becomes, does the return make us a better team? Is Sheahan ready to be a the 3C? Are we getting a 3C back? Will this upgrade from...somewhere...have a bigger impact that Brass will?

Problem is, injury or no injury, Brass ready didn't do himself any favors. He was ok...but only okay.
Wonder what Brassard+Maatta could bring back?

Dumo-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Olek-UFA signing or return from trade.

I thought he was good before his injury. Remember he was playing with an injured Phil pretty much the whole time.

The LW was a combination of (when Phil was RW):
33% Sheary - not a great fit with Phil
19% Sheahan - who’s a way better C
11% Rust - This line was actually good
10% Simon - again not a great fit with Phil

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I don't come here much in the off-season, so I'm sure I'll be repeating stuff.

If true, I honestly don't like it. Unless some team is going to give the Pens a small fortune. I mean, Brassard at $3M? That's too great of a deal to let go. And if they do, they're back in the search for a 3C.

Reactions: AquaticBirdman

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Definitely do not like the idea of.moving him AT ALL. The guy is easily the best 3c in the league, and easily slot into the top 6 if one of Sid or Geno go down, and can play wing. All this for just 3 million. If JR is serious about making a legit cup run this season, then u keep Brassard.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Definitely do not like the idea of.moving him AT ALL. The guy is easily the best 3c in the league, and easily slot into the top 6 if one of Sid or Geno go down, and can play wing. All this for just 3 million. If JR is serious about making a legit cup run this season, then u keep Brassard.
There’s 0 reason to trade the guy right now. Our team is pretty complete as is...why make a glaring need by moving him?

Reactions: AquaticBirdman

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I like Brass but you could do a lot worse than Crosby/Malkin/Sheahan/Cullen. I’m not wanting to move him because his deal is greaf, but if you can get an impact LW who’s younger than Brass it’s probably worth it.

Reactions: Peat

Apr 9, 2009
USA
People tend to forget that Brassard was injured almost from day 1.

I'd be inclined to keep him unless someone overpays out of desperation. Montreal would be stupid enough to do it, but I am not sure they have the pieces I'd want.

I wasn't super impressed with Brass last season and thought the Pens board went a little overboard with him, but I'd rather hold on to him and hope he pulls a James Neal. James Neal was basically terrible until the following season with us when he was magical.

I'm hoping Brassard is also magical next season.

I'm not against trading him though, if it makes sense in some fashion.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If it's for Staal or some other center, fine, just not for a winger.

Prepare yourself mentally now, because I’m pretty sure it’s a winger. Aside from Jake, you have an aging Hagelin who’s deal expires soon and a total unknown in ZAR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad