Speculation: Pierre Lebrun on Leafs Lunch: Leafs forward search

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I like the idea of Miles Wood as a faster, angrier Hyman. What I worry is that he'll be somewhere between an angrier Soup and angrier Kappy, and not have the IQ to play in our top 6.
woods in our top 6??

have you lost your mind?

woods stirs up another line brawl ,,when willy/marn/matty /JT are on the ice?

ya that will work out well:nod:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think Daryl Sutter will give Bennett every chance to carve out a role on the flames. Seems like a Sutter type player. But I agree I think Bennett could work, would not be my number 1 target, but he'd be on the shortlist
Bennett ain't going anywhere now

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
i guarantee you KD won't bring in someone that causes that much sht

KD knows full well if that first video ever happened, we would be in bigggg trouble and our 3 ply roster would collapse and cry
if we were to acquire Miles Wood. There would be Muzz, Bogo, Simmonds, and Wood in our lineup. That's as tough as any team in the Canadian division. That's not 3 ply in any way

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We aren’t getting woods. Why would they trade him? Anyone thats tasting the pie in the sky can answer.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
if we were to acquire Miles Wood. There would be Muzz, Bogo, Simmonds, and Wood in our lineup. That's as tough as any team in the Canadian division. That's not 3 ply in any way

the premise is we are getting a top 6 winger in woods

that rules out Simmonds being on the ice and only 1 of those 2 D possibly being on the ice

he causes another line brawl with JT/willy or Matty/mitch and it will turn into a gong show

and if woods "tones it down" then he ain't worth it

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
We aren’t getting woods. Why would they trade him? Anyone thats tasting the pie in the sky can answer.
Is he untouchable? I suspect not personally. No reason to think he doesn't have a price. And at the end of the day an overpayment on Wood would still cost less than a bargain for Hall/Forsberg/Debrusk...etc

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I think Miles Wood would be a great fit. Guy can play up and down the lineup. Unless NJ eats some money, we need money to resign Hyman next year can't lose that guy. I dont want Wood to be a replacement for him. Would be nice if we can have both after this year. I would hate to lose Simmonds but I'm ok with that if we have Wood to replace what Simmonds brings.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Brodie 691gms
Bogosian 690gms
Muzzin 663gms
Rielly 569gms
Dermott 199gms
Holl 113gms

i think we're good on experience back there.
2 playoff injuries especially Muzzy and Bogo we get swept by Habs round 1 ... guaranteed F**** teed .. Rielly Brodie Hall and Dermy could not handle it ... we need a defensive defender sitting on our tax squad who plays same big tough rough game

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 playoff injuries especially Muzzy and Bogo we get swept by Habs round 1 ... guaranteed F**** teed .. Rielly Brodie Hall and Dermy could not handle it ... we need a defensive defender sitting on our tax squad who plays same big tough rough game

nah we're good.

with Lehtonen, Liljegren, Sandin we probably have the best depth outside the top 6 in the entire league.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Miles Wood would be ideal. Guy can play anywhere in the lineup. Unless NJ eats some money, we need money to resign Hyman next year can't lose that guy. I dont want Wood to be a replacement for him would be nice if we can have both after this year. I would hate to lose Simmonds but I'm ok with that if we have Wood to replace what Simmonds brings.
I think there is about 0.5% chance that Zach is not part of the Leafs come the start of next season. They will find a way to make the money work. My suspicion is they will offer him a max term deal, which at this current point in the world, is likely the best thing for Zach. That should drive his AAV down to closer to 4million mark in this current market. Which would not be hard to make up given it would only net 1.75 million from his current deal. I fully suspect we will move either Kerf, and likely not resign Freddy. The Goalie market will be a buyers market this year given the expansion, and we should be able to find a cheaper goalie to share the cage with Campbell in either a 50:50 or 60:40 split. With the hope and intention of Campbell taking the reigns by the end of the 2021-22 season. Either scenario should yield the same results as the Freddy/Campbell + Hutch 80:20 split that we are seeing now IMO.

Reactions: zeke

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
well, they might trade him because they think they can get a sucker team to overpay for "playoffs grit".
I'd be careful with that statement zeke.

After all, acquiring more sandpaper in the off season is one of the main reason KD turned this season around?

Reactions: axlrose87

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd be careful with that statement zeke.

After all, acquiring more sandpaper in the off season is one of the main reason KD turned this season around?
Only at an appropriate price point. Wood won't be, and Dubas will not overpay for it.

Reactions: axlrose87

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
they need a centerman who is versatile and not a winger
what good is a winger going to be if we lose JT or AM for a long strecth of time ? u think this team is going to survice with kerfoot or engvall down the middle ?

lets face it ..... the center depth on this team is horrible. sure we have a great 1 -2 punch when healthy , but the rest of the available players would be shit replacement in case of an emergency.

they will get granlund or haula
both play center and left wing which makes them perfect fits

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't particularly like any of the suggestions so far and don't think we are a Bennett away from a cup. My suggestion is we need another power forward at least top 9 or could play with Tavares and Nylander at times. In the playoffs you could run a Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds line if we find that guy. I'd rather run 7 dmen and 11 forwards come playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah for sure it's the 4th liner that's missed half the season and the #6 dman that have made the difference.

8-4-1 without Simmonds and that includes this 3 game losing streak where we are mostly getting beat in net.

It is the obsession which just never lets up. Now it is Miles Wood, who lacks the defensive ability and IQ to play like Hyman.

Reactions: zeke

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Just with their history vs us. Debrusk and his dirty plays in the playoffs, Miles Wood running over Freddy multiple times in the same game after he just came back from a concussion.
Watch these videos and tell me you don't think this guy would look good in a leaf sweater. I dare you...He fits every criteria in Lebrun's blurb. Can play up and down the lineup. Could easily see him with Willy and JT, but really has use anywhere in the lineup. Great speed, good shot, great compete and tough as f***. These are guys you win with

Exactly the type of players you want on your team rather than against. And yea definitely a fun player to watch, looks like he has upside & unlocked potential for sure; he's a freakishly fast freight train.

Miles wood is a guy that I think they will go for. guy is tough as nails, high compete level. That is a playoff player. Not to mention he is signed 1 year past this year which is very on brand for Kyle Dubas. He makes too much sense to me. I expect KD to pull the trigger well prior to the TDL. Miles Wood will be a Leaf by mid march. Mark my words
Possible retention & an RFA at the end of the deal too.

Yup I'd be really happy with him as well. He certainly would be a cheaper option. To be honest I would aggressively target Miles Wood in the same fashion that TB overpaid for Blake Coleman. I would get ahead of the crowd and give NJ an offer that would be tough to refuse, and then if they don't bite pursue Watson at the TDL. Because Watson would not need to quarantine. And also I think Wood has more room to grow. He has all the tools to be a Hyman 2.0 just tougher. Someone I think would fit so well into our lineup

Why would Jersey give up Wood again. We aren’t getting him.
They were literally shopping him last season when his value was lower than it is now & it's a team that likely is looking to acquire futures rather than worrying about the near future or keeping their roster in tact.

I like the idea of Miles Wood as a faster, angrier Hyman. What I worry is that he'll be somewhere between an angrier Soup and angrier Kappy, and not have the IQ to play in our top 6.
That pretty much nails it for the concern towards him. Really like what he brings now but more so what he could bring for the future given his age, upside, and contract status/control. I certainly think there are better players than him available though like Palmieri who doesn't bring what Woods brings, but is absolutely the better player while fitting the bill of what they're after. Miles Wood reminds me a lot of a really tough & angry Scapanen which is both a good and bad thing, looking like an intriguing experiment but with risk.

If we get Foligno he can share some insight on the game plan vs us last year from Columbus. This could be an additional positive for Keefe.
Yea he could definitely bring some valuable intangibles like this. Another great character and voice is always good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad