Speculation: Pierre Lebrun on Leafs Lunch: Leafs forward search

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

Pierre LeBrun on Leafs Lunch says, “The Leafs are calling around & essentially telling some teams that they’re looking for sort of a top 7ish forward with a two-way game & hard on the puck. Skill of course, but hard on the puck, not soft skill.” If you listen on the link he talks about how it's interesting the term hard on the puck is used, meaning that they're not necessarily looking for a checker.

Based on this, what Kyle Dubas says he is looking for, who fits that criteria/mold best that could realistically be available, even if they'd have to overpay to acquire them. Tampa paid high for Coleman & Goodrow but it was worth it. It sounds a lot like they're describing Zach Hyman, but a lesser version. It's pretty likely the player would play on the wing with JT and Willie.

What player does that sounds like?

Based solely on how closely they fit that criteria:
1. Kyle Palmieri
2. Nick Foligno
3. Tanner Pearson
4. Connor Brown
5. Vladislav Namestnikov
6. Miles Wood
7. Mikael Granlund
8. Rickard Rakell
9. Bobby Ryan
10. Eric Staal
11. Taylor Hall
12 Ryan Dzingel
*Jake Debrusk (I know Boston-Toronto trade would be very odd, even across divisions, but he's #10 on the TSN trade bait board. But what Boston would even want the Leafs couldn't give up, so he doesn't make the list)

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Pierre LeBrun on Leafs Lunch says, “The Leafs are calling around & essentially telling some teams that they’re looking for sort of a top 7ish forward with a two-way game & hard on the puck. Skill of course, but hard on the puck, not soft skill.” If you listen on the link he talks about how it's interesting the term hard on the puck is used, meaning that they're not necessarily looking for a checker.

Based on this, what Kyle Dubas says he is looking for, who fits that criteria/mold best that could realistically be available, even if they'd have to overpay to acquire them. Tampa paid high for Coleman & Goodrow but it was worth it. It sounds a lot like they're describing Zach Hyman, but a lesser version. It's pretty likely the player would play on the wing with JT and Willie.

What player does that sounds like?

Based solely on how closely they fit that criteria:
1. Kyle Palmieri
2. Nick Foligno
3. Tanner Pearson
4. Connor Brown
5. Vladislav Namestnikov
6. Miles Wood
7. Mikael Granlund
8. Rickard Rakell
9. Bobby Ryan
10. Eric Staal
11. Taylor Hall
12 Ryan Dzingel
*Jake Debrusk (I know Boston-Toronto trade would be very odd, even across divisions, but he's #10 on the TSN trade bait board. But what Boston would even want the Leafs couldn't give up, so he doesn't make the list)

I actually like the Debrusk idea. A perfect scoring d-bag for the playoffs. We'd definitely lose one of the big prospects though.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
For some reason, in the back of my mind its been Rakell... with Granlund floating around as well. Not saying those are the best choices... though I do like how Rakell plays. Have not seen him much this season, had a very slow start I think.

It's not said in the interview, but you would have to think they are looking for someone with quite a bit of NHL experience too... someone who has been around the block, deep into the playoffs.

Who gets bumped though? With Simmonds coming back soon we are kinda getting that type of player for 'free'. I would not take out Mikheyev, so it has to be Vesey who sits; and he's not top 7.

Reactions: Eric bungay

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
For some reason, in the back of my mind its been Rakell... with Granlund floating around as well. Not saying those are the best choices... though I do like how Rakell plays. Have not seen him much this season, had a very slow start I think.

It's not said in the interview, but you would have to think they are looking for someone with quite a bit of NHL experience too... someone who has been around the block, deep into the playoffs.

Who gets bumped though? With Simmonds coming back soon we are kinda getting that type of player for 'free'. I would not take out Mikheyev, so it has to be Vesey who sits; and he's not top 7.
Vesey for sure. Engvall would become the 12th forward depth wise although he'd likely still play 3rd line center as that line has been good.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Why is Boston possibly trading DeBrusk? He seems like the type of player they usually hold onto.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"Top 7ish" is a pretty funny phrase.

Is Kerfoot "Top 7ish"?

Do we trade for Andreas Johnsson who is "Top 7ish" with zero points in his last 5 games?

I like LeBrun, but I certainly hope "Top 7ish" dies a quick death. It's a pretty silly thing.

Reactions: Its not your fault

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Palmieri, Foligno, Hall, JT Miller or Pearson are on my list of top 6 forwards that would fit the mold of what we can use in our lineup.

Depending on whether they want more skill or grit either of these guys fit into our top 6.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Palmieri, Foligno, Hall, JT Miller or Pearson are on my list of top 6 forwards that would fit the mold of what we can use in our lineup.

Depending on whether they want more skill or grit either of these guys fit into our top 6.
I don't see any possible way to add JT Miller cap wise. Even if Vancouver was willing to retain on a contract with 2 more years on it they dont have the cap space to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad