Speculation: Pierre Lebrun on Leafs Lunch: Leafs forward search

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
although i like this how are we going to get rid of 3.75 mil from our cap? somebody will have to go the other way. Kerfoot? (would CBJ even want him?)

Columbus really likes Jenner, so I doubt they move him for less than an overpayment.

I think they would like Kerfoot, but they like Jenner more.

Kerfoot could allow them to expose Domi to expansion to get him off of their books. Seattle would take a chance on him and Columbus wants him off of their books.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is why I keep circling back to Watson from Ottawa - 3 years at $1.5 cap hit. Young enough, has been to the finals, won Mem Cup with Windsor, can play, good defensively, tough.
Yup I'd be really happy with him as well. He certainly would be a cheaper option. To be honest I would aggressively target Miles Wood in the same fashion that TB overpaid for Blake Coleman. I would get ahead of the crowd and give NJ an offer that would be tough to refuse, and then if they don't bite pursue Watson at the TDL. Because Watson would not need to quarantine. And also I think Wood has more room to grow. He has all the tools to be a Hyman 2.0 just tougher. Someone I think would fit so well into our lineup

Reactions: horner

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Jenner would be a fantastic fit for the Leafs as well. But I'd put the likelihood of him getting traded is under 5%.... Let alone to the Leafs

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Columbus really likes Jenner, so I doubt they move him for less than an overpayment.

I think they would like Kerfoot, but they like Jenner more.

Kerfoot could allow them to expose Domi to expansion to get him off of their books. Seattle would take a chance on him and Columbus wants him off of their books.
I'd swap Kerfoot for Domi... to help get himoff their books.

Reactions: 29Potvin

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
May not be a popular opinion but I'd still consider Sam Bennett.

Leafs should circle back take a swing at him again while his value's low. Yes underwhelming lately but I still think he'd be a good fit here. Strong on the puck, feisty/high energy and plays on the edge.

The Leafs could always use these guys, both him + Simmonds would be fun to watch during the playoffs.

edit: NVM, since Sutter took over he may not even be interested to leave anymore.
Calgary Flames forward Sam Bennett anxious to impress new coach | Toronto Sun
I think Daryl Sutter will give Bennett every chance to carve out a role on the flames. Seems like a Sutter type player. But I agree I think Bennett could work, would not be my number 1 target, but he'd be on the shortlist

Reactions: CanadasTeam

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like the idea of Miles Wood as a faster, angrier Hyman. What I worry is that he'll be somewhere between an angrier Soup and angrier Kappy, and not have the IQ to play in our top 6.

I also agree that Bennett should be a target depending on what else is out there available. If I had to put it in order on whom to acquire it would be as follows:

1. Hall
2. Granlund
3. Bennett
4. Forsberg (cause of cost)
5. Ryan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I also agree that Bennett should be a target depending on what else is out there available. If I had to put it in order on whom to acquire it would be as follows:

1. Hall
2. Granlund
3. Bennett
4. Forsberg (cause of cost)
5. Ryan

No feeling Hall, man. The guy is a loser. AS in he has experienced a ton of losing over his NHL career. Rather not add someone like that to our team at the moment.

Reactions: Confucius

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
GSVA (Game Score Value Added) rankings at the 1/2 mark:

Forwards (~470 total listed):

2. Matthews --> super elite 1st liner
8. Marner -----> super elite 1st liner
23. Tavares ---> top 1st liner

58. Hyman ----> average 1st liner
59. Nylander --> average 1st liner
200. Thornton -> good 3rd liner

203. Kerfoot ---> good 3rd liner
212. Spezza ----> average 3rd liner
217. Boyd ------> average 3rd liner

218. Mikheyev --> average 3rd liner
272. Engvall ----> borderline 3rd liner
299. Simmonds -> good 4th liner

300. Galchenyuk -> good 4th liner
324. Vesey -------> average 4th liner
340. Anderson ---> average 4th liner

413. Barabanov --> 5th liner
425. Petan --------> 5th liner

Dmen (~250 total listed)

6. Rielly ----------> Good #1D
34. Muzzin -------> Good #2D

38. Brodie -------> Good #2D
75. Holl ----------> Average #3D

117. Dermott ----> Borderline #4D
139. Lehtonen ----> Good #5D

180. Sandin ------> Borderline #6D
181. Bogosian ---> Borderline #6D

And the Goalies likely rank around average overall.

You can really see there how aside from goaltending the one place that makes the most sense to upgrade would be adding another quality top-6 winger - a guy who ranks at least top-150 overall for forwards would really make this forward group sing.

Here's how rumoured available forwards rank (i put them into my own personal tiers):

75. T.Hall ------> borderline 1st liner
78. E.Kane -----> borderline 1st liner
110. K.Palmieri -> good 2nd liner
116. R.Rakell ---> good 2nd liner

163. A.Henrique -> borderline 2nd liner
177. J.DeBrusk --> borderline 2nd liner
181. M.Granlund -> borderline 2nd liner
193. N.Foligno ---> borderline 2nd liner

220. E.Staal ------> average 3rd liner
222. R.Getzlaf ---> average 3rd liner
237. M.Wood ---> average 3rd liner
239. V.Namestnikov -> average 3rd liner
247. B.Ryan -----> borderline 3rd liner
253. R.Dzingel --> borderline 3rd liner
256. T.Pearson --> borderline 3rd liner
281. C.Brown ----> borderline 3rd liner

385. S.Bennett ---> borderline 4th liner
391. J.Virtanen ---> borderline 4th liner

Obviously the first tier is the most attractive, though with the risk/money on the top 2, Palmieri/Rakell might actually be the best options.

The 2nd tier are all decent adds too - though tbh i'm surprised to see Henrique rated that highly. Not sure i trust that rating in particular.

The 3rd tier is pretty iffy - for me only Staal and Getzlaf would be all that interesting to add, just based on them potentially looking much better on the wing for us than they do as fairly tough usage Cs for their current teams, just like Thornton and Spezza were able to more impactful on the wing for us than they did at as 2/3Cs for their previous teams.

TBH I think I'd stay away from the rest of that 3rd tier and obviously stay away from the two western canadian bust duds in their own 4th tier there.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No feeling Hall, man. The guy is a loser. AS in he has experienced a ton of losing over his NHL career. Rather not add someone like that to our team at the moment.
Wouldn't want Ryan either. I think it was Burke who said something like Ryan couldn't spell intensity. When he was not selected for the U S team a few years ago.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Domi, Berg, Kypreos, Marchment, Brown, Quinn, Tucker, Williams, Kordic, Semenko, McGill, Orr, Macoun, Butcher...

I think you refuse to think Toronto hasn't had Non-Lady Bing history.
Guys who lay down on ice to get a serious penalty called have no place in my game ... includes Marchand too

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yup I'd be really happy with him as well. He certainly would be a cheaper option. To be honest I would aggressively target Miles Wood in the same fashion that TB overpaid for Blake Coleman. I would get ahead of the crowd and give NJ an offer that would be tough to refuse, and then if they don't bite pursue Watson at the TDL. Because Watson would not need to quarantine. And also I think Wood has more room to grow. He has all the tools to be a Hyman 2.0 just tougher. Someone I think would fit so well into our lineup

Wood is not as good as Coleman. Coleman is a better defensive player. Wood has much of the offensive ability without any of the defensive ability that Coleman has, and that defensive ability is what makes Coleman valuable.

I would give up the same price as I would give up for Palmieri if he came with 50% retention. Engvall/Vesey + B prospect + 2nd.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

There could be some truth in your statement, one baseball GM was quoted as saying he would not trade with a team that has a history of losing, that player would probably have bad habits that he didn't want introduced into his locker room.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I like the idea of Miles Wood as a faster, angrier Hyman. What I worry is that he'll be somewhere between an angrier Soup and angrier Kappy, and not have the IQ to play in our top 6.

Wood would allow Hyman to move back into the top six.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
These guys speculating don’t have a clue. Just B.S’s that they get pay for by the shovel full. :). Did any of them even date mention expansion draft implications of course not. There nonsense doesn’t cut it for me.
Now getting a solid gritty good player that has pretected status would be something they wouldn’t ever be able to fit in to their B.S easily ha.
It’s $for$ anything we do.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Wood is not as good as Coleman. Coleman is a better defensive player. Wood has much of the offensive ability without any of the defensive ability that Coleman has, and that defensive ability is what makes Coleman valuable.

I would give up the same price as I would give up for Palmieri if he came with 50% retention. Engvall/Vesey + B prospect + 2nd.
Ya for sure. Maybe I wasn't totally clear with what I was saying. I was not alluding to going for Miles Wood for a 1st round pick + a former 1st round draft pick prospect like TB did for Coleman. What I was trying to say was that was a very aggressive offer at the time the deal was made. Most felt that it was a bit of an overpayment for Coleman at the time. It has obviously worked out for both teams, as NJ got a good prospect in Nolan Foote and Vancouver's 1st round that TB acquired for JT Miller which turned out to be Shakir Mukhamadullin I believe. TB in turn won a cup, and Blake Coleman was a massive part of that. I am not saying I want the Leafs to pay the same package for Miles Wood as the Lighting did for Coleman, but I would like to see them take that same aggressive approach to get him. And in all honesty I really would not mind them overpaying a bit to acquire him. Whatever that might be.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
If we get Foligno he can share some insight on the game plan vs us last year from Columbus. This could be an additional positive for Keefe.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The idea of Wood or Debrusk on this team makes me wanna puke. Pearson, Rakell, Staal and Hall are intriguing I still think Hall can be a productive player, the poor guy has just had to play on absolute shit teams his entire career, I feel terrible for him. Gets moved from one garbage team to the next, I would love to see what he can do surrounded by talent.
i really don't want a pure winger

i would like to deepen out emergency C depth as we have seen with Thor/Spez//former Cs do just fine playing wing

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Miles wood is a guy that I think they will go for. guy is tough as nails, high compete level. That is a playoff player. Not to mention he is signed 1 year past this year which is very on brand for Kyle Dubas. He makes too much sense to me. I expect KD to pull the trigger well prior to the TDL. Miles Wood will be a Leaf by mid march. Mark my words
i'm not sure next year will be a "on brand" year for KD given the flat cap and our 2 big UFAs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Watch these videos and tell me you don't think this guy would look good in a leaf sweater. I dare you...He fits every criteria in Lebrun's blurb. Can play up and down the lineup. Could easily see him with Willy and JT, but really has use anywhere in the lineup. Great speed, good shot, great compete and tough as f***. These are guys you win with

i guarantee you KD won't bring in someone that causes that much sht

KD knows full well if that first video ever happened, we would be in bigggg trouble and our 3 ply roster would collapse and cry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad