Speculation: Pierre Lebrun on Leafs Lunch: Leafs forward search

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Leafs should be all in on Andreas Johnsson (Zero points in his last 9 games).

That for sure makes me want to throw up a little.

;)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Agree on Rakell, though I think he is my preferred option price dependent. I mean, I would prob give up Kerfoot to get him to be honest. Rakell's cap hit is $3,789,444, and is signed through next season. Kerfoot is signed at $3,500,000 for the next 2 seasons. We have about $570k of cap space right now and have room to take on 2 contracts.

Whoever we get, I hope they are able to bring what is expected... but a move has to be made to show some confidence in the group from management and it has to be significant enough to be impactful.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Taylor Hall and Filip Forsberg are the obvious needle movers, but falling short of that I would welcome a Rickard Rakell trade. He is a pretty consistent 40-50 point guy with potential for alot more if paired with better linemates, plus he is under control for a reasonable hit next season too. Maybe Kerfoot + prospect or pick gets it done?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The more I think about it the more I think we’ll end up getting Palmieri. Literally fits the description of the player Dubas is looking for to a t.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Forsberg Matthews Marner
Hall Tavares Nylander
Mik Staal Hyman
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

:naughty:

Staal is overkill.

But if there was anyway to get Forsberg and Hall with salary retained on both. That would be crazy. No top 6 would come close to ours.

Put Engvall back in for where you have Staal slotted and that is an incredible lineup. Stanley Cup worthy.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The more I think about it the more I think we’ll end up getting Palmieri. Literally fits the description of the player Dubas is looking for to a t.

Would not be cost prohibitive either.

If we move Engvall, we could also acquire Haula for Vesey+ to be an extra center in case of injury and to split the 4th line duties with Spezza. He also fits what Dubas wants and would be really cheap to acquire even with retention.

The only thing would be that if we move both Engvall and Vesey, our PK could take a hit, but we'd still have Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Marner, and Hyman plus Haula as a PKer.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Vegas as a trade partner makes too much sense. If we can make a move for Fleury or Lehner with Campbell as the backup ? Would be great.

The team being exempt from the expansion draft probably puts a high price on breaking up that goalie tandem though, even when considering how expensive against the cap Fleury/Lehner currently are.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Would not be cost prohibitive either.

If we move Engvall, we could also acquire Haula for Vesey+ to be an extra center in case of injury and to split the 4th line duties with Spezza. He also fits what Dubas wants and would be really cheap to acquire even with retention.

The only thing would be that if we move both Engvall and Vesey, our PK could take a hit, but we'd still have Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Marner, and Hyman plus Haula as a PKer.
I just don’t know how we actually fit Palmieri in salary wise. Even at 50% his salary becomes 2.33 million and we’re only getting rid of Engvalls 1.25.

Maybe we can figure out a 3way deal similar to what we did for Vegas and Lehner.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
a "top 7" forward sounds like a pretty useless target. There are good wingers out there who could make a real difference for the Leafs, and Dubas should be going after one of them

Reactions: stickty111

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Miles wood is a guy that I think they will go for. guy is tough as nails, high compete level. That is a playoff player. Not to mention he is signed 1 year past this year which is very on brand for Kyle Dubas. He makes too much sense to me. I expect KD to pull the trigger well prior to the TDL. Miles Wood will be a Leaf by mid march. Mark my words

Reactions: ToneDog

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
May not be a popular opinion but I'd still consider Sam Bennett.

Leafs should circle back take a swing at him again while his value's low. Yes underwhelming lately but I still think he'd be a good fit here. Strong on the puck, feisty/high energy and plays on the edge.

The Leafs could always use these guys, both him + Simmonds would be fun to watch during the playoffs.

edit: NVM, since Sutter took over he may not even be interested to leave anymore.
Calgary Flames forward Sam Bennett anxious to impress new coach | Toronto Sun

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Watch these videos and tell me you don't think this guy would look good in a leaf sweater. I dare you...He fits every criteria in Lebrun's blurb. Can play up and down the lineup. Could easily see him with Willy and JT, but really has use anywhere in the lineup. Great speed, good shot, great compete and tough as f***. These are guys you win with

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm going to put my wish list in for local Dorchester, Ontario, kid Boone Jenner from CBJ & 6' 2" / 207 lb & Age: 27.

Versatile forward that can play both C or Wing, and can both provide offense and used as a shutdown or checker/PK and provide a little sandpaper in the process through physical contact and your prototypical playoff style performer.

Not a pure rental as he has current year + 1 @ $3,750,000 remaining on his current deal.

How about a 3rd line of Simmonds --- Jenner --- Hyman for a playoff run?.

That line would not get outworked by anyone and would be a pain-in-the-ass to deal with particular on the cycle and aggressive forechecking.

although i like this how are we going to get rid of 3.75 mil from our cap? somebody will have to go the other way. Kerfoot? (would CBJ even want him?)

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Miles wood is a guy that I think they will go for. guy is tough as nails, high compete level. That is a playoff player. Not to mention he is signed 1 year past this year which is very on brand for Kyle Dubas. He makes too much sense to me. I expect KD to pull the trigger well prior to the TDL. Miles Wood will be a Leaf by mid march. Mark my words

This is why I keep circling back to Watson from Ottawa - 3 years at $1.5 cap hit. Young enough, has been to the finals, won Mem Cup with Windsor, can play, good defensively, tough.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
although i like this how are we going to get rid of 3.75 mil from our cap? somebody will have to go the other way. Kerfoot? (would CBJ even want him?)

Exactly........so they move Kerfoot to accommodate Jenner - don't they need to replace Kerfoot? That seems like a lateral move.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is why I keep circling back to Watson from Ottawa - 3 years at $1.5 cap hit. Young enough, has been to the finals, won Mem Cup with Windsor, can play, good defensively, tough.

The Leafs are looking for more than a mediocre 4th line winger with toughness. We've tried that already with Clifford and he wasn't great... And he is a better player than Watson too.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Watson comes with baggage. Doubt Leafs want anything to do with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad