Confirmed with Link: Pierre Groulx's contract will not be renewed

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I heard part of the reason Allaire lost his last 2 jobs(quit/fired/let go) was because he is very single minded in the kind of style he teaches his goalies and doesn't have a lot of flexibility for individual styles.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I heard part of the reason Allaire lost his last 2 jobs(quit/fired/let go) was because he is very single minded in the kind of style he teaches his goalies and doesn't have a lot of flexibility for individual styles.

Yup and his style is terribad unless you're working with a big goalie with not a lot of skill.

Hopefully Allaire signs there and we avoid that nightmare.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yikes that's a list of really bad candidates... I just Eli Wilson, Waite or Marcoux would be my top contenders, but none of them are exceptional.

We don't necessarily need "exceptional" we have an exceptional talent in Price, just help him play to potential. We don't need a miracle worker.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Look to Finland for a coach they've been turning out better goaltenders for a while now.

I think you mean Sweden - Lehner, Markstrom, Lindback, Enroth, Fasth, Nihlstorp all entered the NHL recent years.

void

Jan 5, 2006
It's going to be Eli Wilson. Heard his interview on TSN 690 and he kept refusing to answer if the Habs had contacted him and said he'll let them be the ones to announce it. He also said that there are many teams he WOULDN'T want to work for but the Habs aren't one of them... said he has a great working relationship with Carey.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's going to be Eli Wilson. Heard his interview on TSN 690 and he kept refusing to answer if the Habs had contacted him and said he'll let them be the ones to announce it. He also said that there are many teams he WOULDN'T want to work for but the Habs aren't one of them... said he has a great working relationship with Carey.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You know there's too much available information combined with people's sheer boredom to even care about who the hell the goaltending coach is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You know there's too much available information combined with people's sheer boredom to even care about who the hell the goaltending coach is.
I don't think its a big deal either. I'm much more concerned with our D next season.

Habs514

Jun 16, 2004
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 2m
François Allaire is the new goalie coach with the Avalanche. Verbal agreement was reach today with Patrick Roy. #RDS

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I don't think its a big deal either. I'm much more concerned with our D next season.

Of course you are. You shouldn't in any way take this move as to mean there is a concern with the performance of the goaltending position.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Price needs someone to train his MIND and not his way of keeping nets. Sometimes you see he's already mentally broken by a shot when he very feebly tries to block it

He's WAY too laid back. Even going to buy himself food seems to be tough for him...

He needs a person that will change the way he thinks; to make him want to block every single darn puck thrown at him with his teeth if need be and not just "try" to stop it.. A bit like Dominic Hasek would do: never abandon on the play!

And that cant be thaught. :(

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Price needs someone to train his MIND and not his way of keeping nets. Sometimes you see he's already mentally broken by a shot when he very feebly tries to block it

He's WAY too laid back. Even going to buy himself food seems to be tough for him...

He needs a person that will change the way he thinks; to make him want to block every single darn puck thrown at him with his teeth if need be and not just "try" to stop it.. A bit like Dominic Hasek would do: never abandon on the play!

And that cant be thaught. :(

When a goalie like Price struggles, ppl say its cuz of lack of fire, when he has success it's because he is calm cool and collected.

Can't have it both ways, there are pros and cons to both.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Maybe he'd be great for Price. Or he'd be a disaster. I don't think there's an in between if we choose him. So if we choose him, we'd better be sure.

Do we want Price to be a classic butterfly goalie? I suppose it could work, but I'm not a huge fan of having a young goalie who's been successful change his style because his coach wants him to play that way. Like I said, I'd rather we hire a guy who will let Price play his own game.

Agreed completely, unfortunately for whatever reason I'm still unsure what style that is. Probably because he was coached into playing different styles, hopefully that changes next time around.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
When a goalie like Price struggles, ppl say its cuz of lack of fire, when he has success it's because he is calm cool and collected.

Can't have it both ways, there are pros and cons to both.

I agree but he should definitely play with a bit more fire and will to win. Ive been watching him goal since his beginnings and he just doesnt "steal" a game, he goals just enough to win it.

While that may be good you also want a goalie that has the extra edge and fire i think to go steal the two points from the other team when all tought we would lose that game. On that aspect Halak was a real fighter; even without having Price's tools.

Halak's spirit and Price's tools would make a great goalie!:naughty:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Of course you are. You shouldn't in any way take this move as to mean there is a concern with the performance of the goaltending position.
You also shouldn't consider in any way that this was just a new coach wanting his own personnel.

Melanson was not retained after Jacques Martin took charge in June 2009. Groulx signed on a month later in July 2009 and was someone Martin worked with in the past in Florida. Groulx was not retained with his contract being up with now Therrien being in place...I'd be shocked if the new coach ends up someone that worked with Therrien in the past.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
You also shouldn't consider in any way that this was just a new coach wanting his own personnel.

Melanson was not retained after Jacques Martin took charge in June 2009. Groulx signed on a month later in July 2009 and was someone Martin worked with in the past in Florida. Groulx was not retained with his contract being up with now Therrien being in place...I'd be shocked if the new coach ends up someone that worked with Therrien in the past.

In most circumstances I would agree, however in these cases the goaltending coach was let go/not extended when Price was struggling. This is a performance issue first and foremost , if Price has a great season or puts his team where Quick/Rask have put their teams Groulx is extended.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree but he should definitely play with a bit more fire and will to win. Ive been watching him goal since his beginnings and he just doesnt "steal" a game, he goals just enough to win it.
While that may be good you also want a goalie that has the extra edge and fire i think to go steal the two points from the other team when all tought we would lose that game. On that aspect Halak was a real fighter; even without having Price's tools.

Halak's spirit and Price's tools would make a great goalie!:naughty:

Craig Anderson stole 3 games from us in round 1 and with better goaltending, that series was ours.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

He would be my guess.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Could it be?

TVA SPORT

Wilson démontre son intérêt

Eli Wilson pourrait lui aussi devenir un candidat potentiel pour le poste de Groulx.

Ce dernier a d’ailleurs changé son avatar sur son compte Twitter par un masque du Canadien.

Wilson a notamment été entraîneur des gardiens de but avec les Sénateurs d’Ottawa de 2007 à 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad