Confirmed with Link: Pierre Groulx's contract will not be renewed

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I liked Groulx but I was not a fan of Price's adjustments at all this year.

And before I get a response no, I'm not saying Price himself doesn't deserve crticism for a mediocre season, but I feel like Price was trying to imitate Quick at times this year and I wonder where that came from.

If anything... he didn't imitate Quick and it cost him. Quick's style of goaltending is unique to him but the principles he employs will be the way that future goalies are trained.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
A goalie coach is like a pitching coach if the guy is an already established player he is pretty much useless, only time he would be useful is if he is off his game mechanically speaking, and even then he would just say well your a little off your angle here or you are lowering your hand here it's still up to the player to actually make the changes

Yes, the assumption on this board is that the previous coaches have been coaching him to do something incompatible with his strengths and in so doing messing him up. That conversation is a non starter for me, and wishful thinking for fans who want to put the spotlight on someone other than the athlete.

Price's performance is on a oscillating curve of peaks and valleys, the coaches job is to shorten the valleys and smooth the line out not re-engineer the athlete. There will be reinforcement of certain ideas and apportioning of practice time accordingly but rarely does a goalie get told to do something they have difficulty doing.

Other players have had success while working with Groulx and Melanson, they aren't the problem.

Having said that bringing in someone that is trusted by Bergevin is a great idea. He'll have carte blanche to take Price to new levels and in the event it doesn't happen he will help set the timeline for moving on to another option.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
If anything... he didn't imitate Quick and it cost him. Quick's style of goaltending is unique to him but the principles he employs will be the way that future goalies are trained.

Disagree, Price's technique is fine, Quick is just the flavour of the month. You don't imitate other goalies technique, you identify your own strengths and play to them.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Disagree, Price's technique is fine, Quick is just the flavour of the month. You don't imitate other goalies technique, you identify your own strengths and play to them.

You are completely misunderstanding.
I'm not advocating that Price go out there and start relying on doing the splits. However, Price is going to have to learn (as will most goalies in the league, in juniors and levels below) that you have to come toward the puck rather than recoil, you have to elevate and lean your body forward + over the puck to eliminate the elevation of the puck into the upper portions of the net.

Price has the advantage of a very tall frame, if he gets out and takes the appropriate leaning angles against shots, literally very few shots will be able to beat him up high.

Quick's philosophy is the appropriate one. Price doesn't have to play LIKE Quick but he certainly has to employ the same philosophies because they are the correct ones. Price's style right now involves a lot of play from his knees, not just being low to the ice like Quick, but on his knees, he completely neuters the strength of his legs and as a result is dead in the water against quick pass plays, pass-outs, board bank shots, blocked shot rebounds and one-timers.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Yea I don't believe every goalie needs to be the same. Price should be more a standing goalie. If anything he needs to do more of what he was doing 5 years ago in certain aspects. He used the be a monster on the shootouts for example cause he was covering a lot of the net. Now he gets on the knees too quickly during the shootouts and he's easy to beat.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I thought his greatest ability was pissing of Earl the Habs Fan/JimCareyPrice/Agnostic who's been waiting 3 years for a bad streak in order to express his hate for Carey Price :dunno:

Yeah, kind of like you waited for 2 games without Prust to laugh at those who said he was an important element of our bottom-6/team.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, kind of like you waited for 2 games without Prust to laugh at those who said he was an important element of our bottom-6/team.

It was more mocking those who thought it was the end of the world when Prust when down more than a "proof" that we didn't need him. Glad to see you took it so seriously though, that's what makes the mocking fun.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You are completely misunderstanding.
I'm not advocating that Price go out there and start relying on doing the splits. However, Price is going to have to learn (as will most goalies in the league, in juniors and levels below) that you have to come toward the puck rather than recoil, you have to elevate and lean your body forward + over the puck to eliminate the elevation of the puck into the upper portions of the net.

Price has the advantage of a very tall frame, if he gets out and takes the appropriate leaning angles against shots, literally very few shots will be able to beat him up high.

Quick's philosophy is the appropriate one. Price doesn't have to play LIKE Quick but he certainly has to employ the same philosophies because they are the correct ones. Price's style right now involves a lot of play from his knees, not just being low to the ice like Quick, but on his knees, he completely neuters the strength of his legs and as a result is dead in the water against quick pass plays, pass-outs, board bank shots, blocked shot rebounds and one-timers.

Very good post!

I feel exactly the same way about Price's technique.....he is far too passive and needs to challenge shooters and stay on his skates a little longer to allow his legs to drive him laterally.

On an interesting note, I find Luongo has almost the opposite flaw of Price in that he leans forward too far and relies on this ridiculous belly flop save that hurts him far more than it saves him as he is a beached whale on the ensuing rebound.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Very good post!

I feel exactly the same way about Price's technique.....he is far too passive and needs to challenge shooters and stay on his skates a little longer to allow his legs to drive him laterally.

On an interesting note, I find Luongo has almost the opposite flaw of Price in that he leans forward too far and relies on this ridiculous belly flop save that hurts him far more than it saves him as he is a beached whale on the ensuing rebound.

Like Aebischer :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad