Le depisteur

Feb 13, 2003
Québec
Visit site

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yikes that's a list of really bad candidates... I just Eli Wilson, Waite or Marcoux would be my top contenders, but none of them are exceptional.

Dada

May 12, 2012
Yikes that's a list of really bad candidates... I just Eli Wilson, Waite or Marcoux would be my top contenders, but none of them are exceptional.

Brunet mentions that Anderson hired Allaire as a full-time coach during the lockout and you can't say he didn't benefit from it... You don't think he's worth a try?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Look to Finland for a coach they've been turning out better goaltenders for a while now.

Dada

May 12, 2012
Sounds more like Brunet defending his friend Allaire. Sure, Anderson used Allaire and look how atrocious Anderson's rebound control is? That's not Price's game.

Yea I get your point, but I read somewhere(don't remember where) that they should get a coach that's teaches the "Quick" style, a bit more based on "athlethicisme" and physical abilities than just blocking shots like a wall a la Anderson, and I think that's not a bad idea, it would be a better fit for Price

pine*

Yea I get your point, but I read somewhere(don't remember where) that they should get a coach that's teaches the "Quick" style, a bit more based on "athlethicisme" and physical abilities than just blocking shots like a wall a la Anderson, and I think that's not a bad idea, it would be a better fit for Price

I think you read one of WTK's earlier posts :laugh:

I wholeheartedly agree though. Price has the same skillset and size as Quick and should quickly work to adapt the foundation of the latter's technique.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I think you read one of WTK's earlier posts :laugh:

I wholeheartedly agree though. Price has the same skillset and size as Quick and should quickly adapt the foundation of the latter's technique.

Groulx actually pushed Price to play more like Quick this year (constantly on his knees) and that's most likely what led to his firing. (Who's decision it was to change his style isn't sure, but Groulx did coach the change)

No point in trying to change a goalies style IMO. Work with what you have.

pine*

Groulx actually pushed Price to play more like Quick this year (constantly on his knees) and that's most likely what led to his firing. (Who's decision it was to change his style isn't sure, but Groulx did coach the change)

I didn't see Price challenging shooters like he should and as Quick does. Price should not have been getting beat as often as he was when the play was down low.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Quick's style isn't always on your knees. That was what Groulx/Price came up with in the off-season and it is absolutely BRUTAL. I yelled about it in many threads, it just does not utilize ANY of the proper theories of goaltending nor does it allow Price to use his brilliant lateral movement to his advantage.

Quick's theories come down to this: Puck's eye perspective. The puck has a different view of the net than the shooter. The closer to the puck you become, the less of the net the puck the sees, and also the steeper the trajectory of the puck must be to reach the upper portions of the net. Quick crouches lower and lower, upper body becoming tilted forward to the ice the closer the puck comes, he also gets out on top of his crease. If the puck is passed or shot wide, that is when the strong legs come in handy, quickly rotate and come back to your post, set and read/react to the play, come out aggressively again if the situation calls for it.

When the puck is below the goal-line, only when it is directly in the middle, should both legs be down in the butterfly position (on your knees) so that if there is a quick stick move, they can't get the puck into the near side post. Any time that the puck moves beyond the center point of the net, you have to load the post side leg (plant your skate on a strong angle into the ice and activate your muscles to be ready to push), and be ready for any quick pass plays that may go into the slot or across the net, or shots generated for rebound opportunites/crease crashing.

Quick gets into the splits a lot during recovery situations because most of the time, the puck is close to the net, so he knows if he gets his legs wide, the low posts are covered and if he leans his upper body forward/reaches to the puck with his hands, he can limit the areas he can possibly be scored on which allows for a lot of acrobatic saves to be made.

If we get Allaire.. you will see Price get into shooting lanes, react to the shot or the sound of the shot, get down into the full butterfly, maybe center shift (lean your torso into the direction of the shot to eliminate holes) and rely on his defense to clear away rebounds or tie up their men (which is what Ottawa did to us). You will not see a lot of movement with Price, you won't see him making dynamic movements, it will be all about playing percentages and relying on them rather than reading, reacting and using Price's athletic and biological gifts to his advantage.

Dislike Price for his lack of intensity? You'll hate him even more under an Allaire teaching syle because it will take mostly all of it out of his game, turning him into what we saw of Reimer for most of his career, a robot who gets in the lane and is never in position to make a second save and is never fighting through traffic or screens to see the puck because they are more worried about filling the lane with a percentage blocking technique than analyzing the situation.

Saintpatrick*

That's two goalie coaches fired now under Price's watch. I think Price should make the decision on who his next coach is.

pine*

That's two goalie coaches fired now under Price's watch. I think Price should make the decision on who his next coach is.

I think it has more to do with the management in place rather than Price per se. Martin wanted to bring his guy in (Groulx) and now Bergevin/Therrien will want to do the same.

Also, there's no neglecting that Price faltering in late season was just incentive to facilitate the replacement.

Dada

May 12, 2012
A coach who could tell Price that his stick isn't there just for fun and that maybe he could use to it to block that thing we call the " five hole " . See Jacob Silfverberg. Still hurts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't read through this thread but i'm not surprised. Price's numbers started out very good but in the last 2 months took a dive and just got worse as the season wore on. Price also had the lowest save % of his NHL career, hopefully a new goalie coach can get him going next year, would love to see him repeat the numbers from the '10-'11 season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure what to make of Groulx's 'firing'. Price has been consistently good for the past three years and if he doesn't crap the bed in the last two weeks the guy is still here. Is he to blame for that? Don't know. If Price struggles, was that on him or the coach? Does firing the coach make a difference here? I understand the decision and don't have a problem with it. Just think that it's interesting that nobody had a problem until now.

As for Allaire, as others have noted he ruined Gustofsson and very nearly ruined Reimer. Obvioulsy he has some skills but he worries me a little as he's dogmatic and his style isn't for everyone.

Not sure who we'll get coming forward but I just hope its somebody who lets Price play his own style. Kolzig would've been great based on past success but I'm sure there are others out there. As long as they get a coach who let's Price play his game I'm not worried.

To be honest I'm more worried about our D. Nobody who the goalie is, we're going to need to add at least one solid vet to that group. A big rugged top 4 guy would be really nice.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Not sure what to make of Groulx's firing. Price has been consistently good for the past three years and if he doesn't crap the bed in the last two weeks the guy is still here. Is he to blame for that? Don't know.

As for Allaire, as others have noted he ruined Gustofsson and very nearly ruined Reimer. Obvioulsy he has some skills but he worries me a little as he's dogmatic and his style isn't for everyone.

Not sure who we'll get coming forward but I just hope its somebody who lets Price play his own style. Kolzig would've been great based on past success but I'm sure there are others out there. As long as they get a coach who let's Price play his game I'm not worried.

To be honest I'm more worried about our D. Nobody who the goalie is, we're going to need to add at least one solid vet to that group. A big rugged top 4 guy would be really nice.

Didn't Allaire quit the Leafs because other coaches were telling his goalies to do certain things that he wasn't teaching them and undermining his entire job?

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I'm curious, do you guys believe Allaire is past his time? I'm not sure why theres so much hate towards him. Seems like a calm collected coach that would fit Price's emotional style well. I know about his time with Toronto but how much of it is Allaire being the wrong choice while still being a good coach? The coach should definitely adapt to the goalie, but sometimes a match works better than others no? Im not sure his coaching style was good for Reimer and Gustavsson but maybe its good for Price?

He still coached a legend at some point.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Didn't Allaire quit the Leafs because other coaches were telling his goalies to do certain things that he wasn't teaching them and undermining his entire job?
Allaire was a going concern in TO. The criticism with him was constant and neither Toskala nor Gustofsson were doing well under him. Reimer also struggled with his system.
I'm curious, do you guys believe Allaire is past his time? I'm not sure why theres so much hate towards him. Seems like a calm collected coach that would fit Price's emotional style well. I know about his time with Toronto but how much of it is Allaire being the wrong choice while still being a good coach? The coach should definitely adapt to the goalie, but sometimes a match works better than others no? Im not sure his coaching style was good for Reimer and Gustavsson but maybe its good for Price?

I think Allaire works for some goalies and not others. He's very dogmatic in his system and demands that goalies play HIS way. That can be good or bad. I don't know how well he'd do with Price but he scares me a little.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

His style is only good for big goalies with no athleticism. Giguere thrived because that's what he was.. He'd ruin Price further.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Allaire was a going concern in TO. The criticism with him was constant and neither Toskala nor Gustofsson were doing well under him. Reimer also struggled with his system.

I think Allaire works for some goalies and not others. He's very dogmatic in his system and demands that goalies play HIS way. That can be good or bad. I don't know how well he'd do with Price but he scares me a little.

Thats the impression I get too, im not too sure how good of a match Toronto was, but then again isnt that the case for most coaches? They work with some players (and teams in a sense) and not so well with others?

I think he might actually be a decent match for Price, first because of how long he's been doing this, the fact that he's coached a top goalie in Montreal is a huge deal, he'll know how to calm Price down and keep him focused.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thats the impression I get too, im not too sure how good of a match Toronto was, but then again isnt that the case for most coaches? They work with some players (and teams in a sense) and not so well with others?

I think he might actually be a decent match for Price, first because of how long he's been doing this, the fact that he's coached a top goalie in Montreal is a huge deal, he'll know how to calm Price down and keep him focused.
Maybe he'd be great for Price. Or he'd be a disaster. I don't think there's an in between if we choose him. So if we choose him, we'd better be sure.

Do we want Price to be a classic butterfly goalie? I suppose it could work, but I'm not a huge fan of having a young goalie who's been successful change his style because his coach wants him to play that way. Like I said, I'd rather we hire a guy who will let Price play his own game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad