Confirmed with Link: Pierre Groulx's contract will not be renewed

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yup and his style is terribad unless you're working with a big goalie with not a lot of skill.

Hopefully Allaire signs there and we avoid that nightmare.
Well... Patrick Roy had a lot of skill. :laugh:
Price needs someone to train his MIND and not his way of keeping nets. Sometimes you see he's already mentally broken by a shot when he very feebly tries to block it

He's WAY too laid back. Even going to buy himself food seems to be tough for him...

He needs a person that will change the way he thinks; to make him want to block every single darn puck thrown at him with his teeth if need be and not just "try" to stop it.. A bit like Dominic Hasek would do: never abandon on the play!

And that cant be thaught. :(
Folks used to say the same thing about Yzerman and Lemieux... list goes on.

Different players have different personalities. Folks loved Messier and hailed him as a leader, then he goes to Vancouver and destroys the locker room. Meanwhile Yzerman who "didn't want to win enough, was too laid back and quiet and would never win" went on to captain multiple cups and is now considered one of the best leaders ever.

Leaders come in all shapes and sizes man. And if Price doesn't win some folks will say he's too laid back. If he wins a cup we'll all be talking about how calm he is under pressure etc... Its all BS spin. It was hilarious how the instant Yzerman won the same guys who said he wasn't a leader praised him as Mr. Captain all of a sudden. Meanwhile Messier (who could do no wrong) destroyed his reputation with the Canucks.

Price is fine the way he is. Just let him be his own goalie. If he's not successful and we lose faith that's fine. But don't try to "fix" what isn't broken. Let him be and see how he develops.
Agreed completely, unfortunately for whatever reason I'm still unsure what style that is. Probably because he was coached into playing different styles, hopefully that changes next time around.
Hopefully we just let him be. He's been great for the most part and we should hope it continues. If he falters like he did at the end of the year then it's a different story.
His contract wasn't renewed same difference. If Price craps the bed after a third goalie coach then the problem is him not the coaching.
Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not even sure it made sense to fire him. Price has for the most part played extremely well for the better part of three years. He craps the bed at the end of the season and we fire Grouxl. Is that the goalie coach's fault? I don't know. I'm not sure what happened to Price at the end but if he finished the season the way he started it there's no way Grouxl is on the unemployment line.

Like I said, I just hope we hire somebody who can just let Price play his game. If we do that then we'll be fine. Just don't hire somebody who wants to "fix" him because that's when things get screwed up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well it's Prices mask, could just be supporting Price, one of his students. But he seems the logical choice.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Lots of speculation/conjecture/assumption based on what amounts to an administrative move.

Doesn't matter to me who the freaking goalie coach is...Price or whoever plays goal for the Montreal Canadiens will always be expected to be the best player on the ice and anything short of perfection (or almost) will never be enough.

It's always been that way, and it will always be...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I agree but he should definitely play with a bit more fire and will to win. Ive been watching him goal since his beginnings and he just doesnt "steal" a game, he goals just enough to win it.

While that may be good you also want a goalie that has the extra edge and fire i think to go steal the two points from the other team when all tought we would lose that game. On that aspect Halak was a real fighter; even without having Price's tools.

Halak's spirit and Price's tools would make a great goalie!:naughty:

To say he doesn't steal games just isn't true, he did things at a young age, maybe a goalie with that fire couldn't or possible couldn't overcome.

In his first year in the playoffs, he stole game 4 in Boston with a 1-0 shutout to give the Habs a 3-1 series lead.

And after not playing well and actually giving up some bad goals in game 5 and 6, he put it behind him and got a shutout in game 7.

And as great as Halak was, when he was on fire, he would be really bad, a few bad goals would take him off his game completely.

Again not really trying to compare, but just trying to put out the catch 22.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Price needs someone to train his MIND and not his way of keeping nets. Sometimes you see he's already mentally broken by a shot when he very feebly tries to block it

He's WAY too laid back. Even going to buy himself food seems to be tough for him...

He needs a person that will change the way he thinks; to make him want to block every single darn puck thrown at him with his teeth if need be and not just "try" to stop it.. A bit like Dominic Hasek would do: never abandon on the play!

And that cant be thaught. :(

yea i think thats the main issue too, he needs to take a page out of eller's book and see a sports psychiatrist. did wonders for him last season

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not to absolve Price from his struggles late this year...

But there's a big disconnect between the quality of this team and the expectations of it's goalie.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

But there's a big disconnect between the quality of this team and the expectations of it's goalie.

~.920 save % and ~2.20-2.30 gaa
thats all im asking for, which is far from perfection.. those are just solid no1 stats, he has to deliver those numbers for what hes getting paid

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
~.920 save % and ~2.20-2.30 gaa
thats all im asking for, which is far from perfection.. those are just solid no1 stats, he has to deliver those numbers for what hes getting paid
The guy logs more games than anyone not named Pekka Rinne and he plays for a team that has some pretty bad holes on it defensively. You talk like keeping a .920 save percentage is easy... it isn't, even on a good team. And its harder to do when you log as many games as he does.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

During the season the team played very well but on average goaltending was average to mediocre(Price anyways).

During the playoffs the team the taem played well enough to win but the goaltending was brutal.

If if there is a disconnect this year it's with the goalie not the team. The team got a lot better than 2011-12 and Price's numbers got worse(2.43 GAA to 2.59 and .916% to .905) instead of better.

People keep obsessing about size this and size that but goaltending was by far the biggest issue for this team against Ottawa.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
During the season the team played very well but on average goaltending was average to mediocre(Price anyways).

During the playoffs the team the taem played well enough to win but the goaltending was brutal.

If if there is a disconnect this year it's with the goalie not the team. The team got a lot better than 2011-12 and Price's numbers got worse(2.43 GAA to 2.59 and .916% to .905) instead of better.

People keep obsessing about size this and size that but goaltending was by far the biggest issue for this team against Ottawa.

I think you need to re watch those games. I have never seen a team break down worse defensively. The number of odd man rushes was staggering. Its one thing to criticize the goaltending but please at least somewhat know what your talking about.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Our goaltending was great most the year up until April which was also the same time the rest of our team started to play terrible. Price was bad in April and had an average playoffs but I don't get why lots of people don't want to give him credit for his play before our team started to struggle and make it sound like he struggled all year.

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON

There is so much wrong with this post.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The guy logs more games than anyone not named Pekka Rinne and he plays for a team that has some pretty bad holes on it defensively. You talk like keeping a .920 save percentage is easy... it isn't, even on a good team. And its harder to do when you log as many games as he does.

Are you Price's mother, because if you're not you sound like someone who might be?

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
To me, the 1st game of the playoffs is the only one where Price was downright bad. In the other the games (except the last one where Budaj was awful and the 2nd one that Price stole for us), defense was much more of a concern than goaltending.

People also seem to forget that Price was among the best of the league right until the last month of the season.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City

Exactly.

Eli Wilson will most likely be the new goaltending coach of the Montreal Canadiens. A logical move, and a smart move. I suspect Price may have had some input on Groulx's replacement.

Saintpatrick*

Exactly.

Eli Wilson will most likely be the new goaltending coach of the Montreal Canadiens. A logical move, and a smart move. I suspect Price may have had some input on Groulx's replacement.

Which is the right call. Get someone in there that Price is comfortable with.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Exactly.

Really happy if Price can get the goalie coach he wants. If he suceeds and I wish it for everything in the world, we're gonna see one of the best goalie in the NHL play for us.

If he fail, ad post up sub-par stats again, well, I think it will be time to move on.

But I'm confident he's gonna bounce back

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think you need to re watch those games. I have never seen a team break down worse defensively. The number of odd man rushes was staggering. Its one thing to criticize the goaltending but please at least somewhat know what your talking about.

Not sure where you see all these odd man rushes, I think you're the one that needs to fire up the PVR. Which Ottawa goals were on odd man rushes?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Which is the right call. Get someone in there that Price is comfortable with.

Agreed. Wilson will push Price to be better, while maintaining a good relationship.

Really happy if Price can get the goalie coach he wants. If he suceeds and I wish it for everything in the world, we're gonna see one of the best goalie in the NHL play for us.

If he fail, ad post up sub-par stats again, well, I think it will be time to move on.

But I'm confident he's gonna bounce back

I'm confident as well. Price needs somebody who will push him to be better, while teaching him how to be a successful NHL goaltender. Which is something I believe Wilson can do.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

This is precisely the situation. Fortunately everyone important in the matter (Bergevin, Price) appears willing to share ownership of the problem while being supportive.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Not sure where you see all these odd man rushes, I think you're the one that needs to fire up the PVR. Which Ottawa goals were on odd man rushes?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012030125&navid=sc.com-series-boxscore

Game 5: Goal 2, 3
Game 3: Goal 2, 3, 4

These are just goals ignoring the rushes they had without converting.

There are visible holes with this team whether you want to admit it or not, including the below average goaltending from last season.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Our goaltending was great most the year up until April which was also the same time the rest of our team started to play terrible. Price was bad in April and had an average playoffs but I don't get why lots of people don't want to give him credit for his play before our team started to struggle and make it sound like he struggled all year.

your talking to a board full of people just waiting for Price's first mistake before they come out of the wood work and jump on them. Coaches considered Price the Vezina favorite 80% of the way through the season but apparently he is a bum of a goaltender who is unfairly taking valuable playing time away from Budaj.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012030125&navid=sc.com-series-boxscore

Game 5: Goal 2, 3
Game 3: Goal 2, 3, 4

These are just goals ignoring the rushes they had without converting.

There are visible holes with this team whether you want to admit it or not, including the below average goaltending from last season.

Blame is to be shared by the entire team. To say oh our problems are due to size or price sucks or even DD is garbage is absolutely wrong.

This is what went wrong:
- Subpar goaltending
- Horrendous defense
- Poor performances from our "offensive players"
- Falling into the same trap that Pittsburgh is in now (playing the opponents game versus their own)
- Coaching (Therrian got outcoached)
- Too many key injuries

One, maybe two of those are recoverable but to insinuate that one was the sole or even main factor is a joke. Their are 23 players on the roster, not one. If it was one game then you can make an argument but it's not. It was 5.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad