Pierre Gauthier was terrible but...

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I look forward to drafting 31st overall.

I'd rather have Cammalleri than draft a player who could become Cammalleri. If only he was patient for a few more months, we'd have our second line left-wing slot locked down.

This was one of the worst trades we've made simply in terms of who we let go. He was a playoff God for us.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'd rather have Cammalleri than draft a player who could become Cammalleri. If only he was patient for a few more months, we'd have our second line left-wing slot locked down.

This was one of the worst trades we've made simply in terms of who we let go. He was a playoff God for us.

Isn't that what Collberg was for? :sarcasm:

Cammalleri was a playoff God was was becoming a regular season dud. From everything I've seen and read about his performances on the Flames so far this year, he's the same guy he was last year for us - soft, playing zero defense, not moving his feet. You need to get to the playoffs before being a playoff God means much.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Bingo. Funny thing is this team is missing a guy just like Cammy. The Cammy hate is pretty unreal though. He scored 40 goals in his 1st season including the playoffs. Then 19 the year before in an injury plagued season. Still lead the team in scoring in the playoffs. Last year was a mess for everyone not named Cole, Pacioretty and DD. He commented on the direction of the team (which he was right about) and then the fans dumped on him. Still managed to score 11 goals in 28 games with the Flames.

Habs fans are so fickle. He went from greatest ever to a four letter word in a year. Bourque has 2 points and now there's a thread about people needing to eat crow. Tehre will be a "buy out" thread made by the end of the year.

Gauthier was terrible.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Isn't that what Collberg was for? :sarcasm:

Cammalleri was a playoff God was was becoming a regular season dud. From everything I've seen and read about his performances on the Flames so far this year, he's the same guy he was last year for us - soft, playing zero defense, not moving his feet. You need to get to the playoffs before being a playoff God means much.

THANK YOU.

Camalleri was NOT that good! He did well in the playoff's, the guy is very streaky. very streaky. it was like he had to have his best habs underwear on, his skates tied slightly loose, only slightly, his stick taped exactly 3 inche's down from the heel, with black tape on the blade, white on the handle, his hair freshly cut, tell his family not to watch the game on tv, visualize the game from the bench before the game ( we all saw that right) then and only then he could go stand at the half boards and wait for someone with some skill to pass him the puck so he could fire it on net.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Getting someone to take Cammaleri's contract may have been Gauthier's best move. Watching him the other night, he may be nearing the end of the trail. When goal scorers shots on goal start going down dramatically it usually means that.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Getting someone to take Cammaleri's contract may have been Gauthier's best move. Watching him the other night, he may be nearing the end of the trail. When goal scorers shots on goal start going down dramatically it usually means that.

I loved Cammalleri when we first signed him but he looks toast. Not Gomez finished, but the injuries have taken their toll on him, and he doesn't seem motivated.

If there was anything I hated about the Gainey/Gauthier era more than anything else it was signing these aging vets for big money.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Bergevin is running circles around Gauthier.

He is making Gauthier look like a GM who was hired because he had the most web page hits at CapGeek.com

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Bergevin is running circles around Gauthier.

He is making Gauthier look like a GM who was hired because he had the most web page hits at CapGeek.com

Gauthier used bridge contracts too. Price, Plekanec and Markov all took nice discounts before getting their paydays.

Seriously, Gauthier was a **** GM but it's ridiculous to judge Bergevin this early. Everyone thought Gainey was going to be the messiah too.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I loved Cammalleri when we first signed him but he looks toast. Not Gomez finished, but the injuries have taken their toll on him, and he doesn't seem motivated.

If there was anything I hated about the Gainey/Gauthier era more than anything else it was signing these aging vets for big money.
The five year plus deals are all a gamble. I remember thinking the Pens giving a 5 year deal to Gonchar or the Habs deal to Hamrlik as bad deals. Both turned out well.

Alot seem to turn out poorly though. Look at the Ovechkin, Luongo, Lecavalier etc. deals.

I hope the Subban deal is an example of the philosophy of the new regime.

I.e., avoid long contracts, period.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gauthier used bridge contracts too. Price, Plekanec and Markov all took nice discounts before getting their paydays.

Seriously, Gauthier was a **** GM but it's ridiculous to judge Bergevin this early. Everyone thought Gainey was going to be the messiah too.
PG sucked hard. Gainey started off pretty well and then lost his brain. Not sure what happened there but he should've stepped down when his daughter passed... no way he could focus on the job (who could?)

As for MB, it's very early. I'm optimistic that he'll instill a more positive culture than MB did (shouldnt be too hard to do.) I hated what he just did with PK though. I'll reserve judgement but he dodged a bullet there as PK could've just demanded a trade.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
The five year plus deals are all a gamble. I remember thinking the Pens giving a 5 year deal to Gonchar or the Habs deal to Hamrlik as bad deals. Both turned out well.

Alot seem to turn out poorly though. Look at the Ovechkin, Luongo, Lecavalier etc. deals.

I hope the Subban deal is an example of the philosophy of the new regime.

I.e., avoid long contracts, period.

No UFA is ever going to sign here if you avoid long contracts. I agree about superlong contracts - 6 years is pushing it, any more is always a mistake. I can't think of any 7+ year deals that ended well off the top of my head. I guess for Crosby or something you'd do what you have to do, but besides that.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Gauthier made several good hockey moves:

Good:
He got Emelin
He got Diaz
He got Eller
The Cammalleri trade
The Gill trade
The Kostitsyn trade
Keeping Desharnais in the system
No bad contracts signed during his tenure
Erik Cole

Bad:
Kaberle trade
Losing Pouliot and a few others for nothing
Keeping Gill over Wisniewski or Hamrlik

I'm sorry, but the Cammalleri trade was awful. Losing Pouliot for nothing was a good move. Pouliot was pretty much the worst player in the NHL player in the league at the time and we were going to have to pay him about 3 million as a qualifying offer. Good riddance. The Kostitsyn trade was also brutal. He should have been able to get more.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

There is a bridge contract for the sake of doing one.

Then there is a bridge contract for the sake of improving the team.

Guess which GM did what regarding those two examples.;)

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
No UFA is ever going to sign here if you avoid long contracts. I agree about superlong contracts - 6 years is pushing it, any more is always a mistake. I can't think of any 7+ year deals that ended well off the top of my head. I guess for Crosby or something you'd do what you have to do, but besides that.
This is where I hope that GM's and owners across the league start using more common sense with these deals that burden them indefinitely (maybe wishful thinking).

Sadly, it only takes one desperate team to establish an unrealistic market (like Columbus and Wisniewski).

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Flame fans were raving about how they soaked us and got Cammalleri on the cheap but he looks like hot garbage now and still has another year to go. Cammys game revolves around everyone else doing the work and him waiting for a one timer. Maybe Iginla can drag him to some points but if he doesn't turn his game around he will be bought out after this year. Gauthier dumping him probably saved us big time due to the cap dropping.

The real awesome news is Calgary will not be making any moves and will probably be a top 10 pick so that makes our pick from them even better. Total steal with Bourque outplaying Cammy in every way.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Flame fans were raving about how they soaked us and got Cammalleri on the cheap but he looks like hot garbage now and still has another year to go. Cammys game revolves around everyone else doing the work and him waiting for a one timer. Maybe Iginla can drag him to some points but if he doesn't turn his game around he will be bought out after this year. Gauthier dumping him probably saved us big time due to the cap dropping.

The real awesome news is Calgary will not be making any moves and will probably be a top 10 pick so that makes our pick from them even better. Total steal with Bourque outplaying Cammy in every way.
Doesn't matter if Cammy doesn't score another goal. It's about opportunity cost. We could've got more for him last year and didn't. The trade may work out, that doesn't mean it was a smart trade.

If you trade Wayne Gretzky for a 6th rounder it's dumb. Even if Gretzky gets hit by a bus the next day and that 6th rounder turns into Bobby Orr... it's still a stupid move. It's just a move that happens to work out. Analysts panned it last year for good reason.

I don't understand your love for PG. He absolutely sucked.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
yeah, I thought gainey did well. I actually think the year we had lang was our best chance until he went down for the year. the guy was our 3rd line center playing some great hockey for us. really liked our team that year, but cannot remember the line-up...

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Doesn't matter if Cammy doesn't score another goal. It's about opportunity cost. We could've got more for him last year and didn't. The trade may work out, that doesn't mean it was a smart trade.

If you trade Wayne Gretzky for a 6th rounder it's dumb. Even if Gretzky gets hit by a bus the next day and that 6th rounder turns into Bobby Orr... it's still a stupid move. It's just a move that happens to work out. Analysts panned it last year for good reason.

I don't understand your love for PG. He absolutely sucked.

Cammy was terrible last year, his salary was bloated and he was a total mess. He wasn't worth close to what he was worth in your mind. He was becoming a locker room cancer and was not well liked.

I would like to uunderstand your dislike of Gauthier but it seems based around nonsense like "he wasn't classy" or "he was a vegan" :laugh:

The best part is Gauthier was picked up by the Blackhawks while your ilk on here are still sadly trying to kill his reputation. I guess he can't be so terrible, I mean Chicago is currently the front runner in the league and won the cup a couple years back.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cammy was terrible last year, his salary was bloated and he was a total mess. He wasn't worth close to what he was worth in your mind. He was becoming a locker room cancer and was not well liked.
Yeah right... he makes one comment and becomes a cancer that we need to get rid of in the middle of a game. And the very day he makes it the analysts start discussing his trade value and all of them say he's worth at least a first... then we make that panic trade.
I would like to uunderstand your dislike of Gauthier but it seems based around nonsense like "he wasn't classy" or "he was a vegan" :laugh:
My dislike is based on the fact that he was a bad GM and hurt our team. I don't have anything personal against the man. But he was a piss-poor GM and I'm glad he's gone.
The best part is Gauthier was picked up by the Blackhawks while your ilk on here are still sadly trying to kill his reputation. I guess he can't be so terrible, I mean Chicago is currently the front runner in the league and won the cup a couple years back.
I'm not trying to kill his reputation, it's already dead.

As for Chicago hiring him, that's great. I wish the best for the man. I don't have anything personal against him.

They didn't hire him as their GM though did they?
Bang on! PG lost many such opportunities.
Yup. Strangling the life out of AK's trade value, wasting Cammy, wasting Lapierre, wasting SK, saddling us with Bourque and Kaberle... and the guy wasn't even our GM for all that long. Imagine if he had five years.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yeah right... he makes one comment and becomes a cancer that we need to get rid of in the middle of a game. And the very day he makes it the analysts start discussing his trade value and all of them say he's worth at least a first... then we make that panic trade.

My dislike is based on the fact that he was a bad GM and hurt our team. I don't have anything personal against the man. But he was a piss-poor GM and I'm glad he's gone.

I'm not trying to kill his reputation, it's already dead.

As for Chicago hiring him, that's great. I wish the best for the man. I don't have anything personal against him.

They didn't hire him as their GM though did they?

Yup. Strangling the life out of AK's trade value, wasting Cammy, wasting Lapierre, wasting SK, saddling us with Bourque and Kaberle... and the guy wasn't even our GM for all that long. Imagine if he had five years.

One comment? He was well disliked before then and he was terrible, I guess it would have been smart to wait until his game fell apart then try and trade him right? Just like Gainey waited to trade Theodore, I am sure you hated that move too.

"Bad GM, hurt our team". Could your weak ass comments be any more vague? Cmon I have seen you type out massive text walls talking about nothing and this is all you have for the most hated guy on HFBOARDS Habs? Geez how could I possibly NOT get on that train of hate!? It is so well thought out and articulate! :laugh:

Ya reputation dead among those who still chant "In Bob we trust" only now they do it quietly. Still got a job with one of the best teams in the league so I think you are wrong muffin. Why would they hire him as a GM when they already have a good one? That makes zero sense! They obviously wanted him in their management reguardless of position.

Ak strangled the life out of himself playing like the third liner he was, he didn't even get a contract THIS year! Cammy is over the hill and a buyout soon, Lapierre is a third liner and it was obvious guys were tired of fighting his battles for his big mouth. SK was another beloved drama queen who doesn't belong on this team, a "superstar" on a team that has almost no offense. Bourque is playing excellent on our top line for 3.3million and Kaberle brings some much needed skills and depth to our defense.

If he had another 5 years I would expect more of the same, responsible signings, acquisition of drafts picks for outgoing players and building a big team that can fight its own battles. Bergevin has enjoyed the team Gauthier built and made some very nice moves himself that you were whining about earlier, I think I will take his word over yours.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
yeah, I thought gainey did well. I actually think the year we had lang was our best chance until he went down for the year. the guy was our 3rd line center playing some great hockey for us. really liked our team that year, but cannot remember the line-up...

Wish we had kept Streit that year, it could have been a truly dominant lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad