Pierre Gauthier was terrible but...

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
The fact that negotiations had been ongoing for a while likely means PG was asking for a 1st along with Bourque and the Flames didn't want to do it. After Cammy's comments PG probably figured Cammy's value was only going to go down so he made the trade. I don't consider that to be panicking nor do I think he was trying to save his job/season.

Personally I think we should've held on to Cammy longer and hoped for either a rebound in play or teams getting desperate at the deadline so that we could get that 1st but you make it seem like it was a dreadful deal which it wasn't. We got decent value, we weren't fleeced by any means.

Don't poke holes in his "argument" if he doesn't have Cammys awesomely high value all he has left is "bad GM, hurt our team" :laugh:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He should've shopped him around...

How do you know he didn't? He had been talking trade for months, in all that time you don't think he spoke with other teams as well? Unless you think Cammy's comments raised his trade value and suddenly teams that weren't interested before suddenly became interested.

And before you quote annoymous GMs saying they didn't know he was available, that means nothing. They could very easily have been on his no trade list, and/or had nothing of interest to us. Not too mention it was probably Burke, and I can understand not wanting to trade a guy like Cammy to T.O

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
i think wizneiski for a 2nd was a pretty underrated deal he made to...it was solid and it was exactly when we needed it. he would have been a great player if his salary demands weren;t through the roof.

He threw away a 2nd for nothing.

That is an underrated deal??

Oy, the undying love for a GM who led us down the path to less than mediocrity is still amazing to me.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He threw away a 2nd for nothing.

That is an underrated deal??

Oy, the undying love for a GM who led us down the path to less than mediocrity is still amazing to me.

It was a rental... What more do you want? Wiz reinvigorated the PP... And then ran off to a 6.5m deal in CBJ. Hardly throwing away a 2nd.

Would you say that Nashville threw away their picks for Gill and Kost?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
It was a rental... What more do you want? Wiz reinvigorated the PP... And then ran off to a 6.5m deal in CBJ. Hardly throwing away a 2nd.

Would you say that Nashville threw away their picks for Gill and Kost?

What about the less than mediocrity part?

Saintpatrick*

he wasn't as bad as his predecessor

losing beauchemin, hainsey, ribeiro, grabovski, mcdonagh for nothing!!! :cry:

but his trading of cammalleri during a game and the kaberle trade were brutal. + i think he could have gotten a lot more for halak.

Not to mention Koivu and Kovalev. I'd have to say Gainey was a worse GM than Gauthier and that's saying something because Gauthier was a bad GM as well. Seriously, Gainey's bad moves made a lasting impact and now a 3rd GM has to deal with his awful contracts. Thankfully only Gionta is left from that free agent rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing MB make his mark on this mismanaged organization.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Not to mention Koivu and Kovalev. I'd have to say Gainey was a worse GM than Gauthier and that's saying something because Gauthier was a bad GM as well. Seriously, Gainey's bad moves made a lasting impact and now a 3rd GM has to deal with his awful contracts. Thankfully only Gionta is left from that free agent rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing MB make his mark on this mismanaged organization.

I think both GMs (Gainey and Gauthier) made some dumb moves. However, it's easy to forget today, how bad the team was before Gainey stepped in.

HabsKid

Jan 29, 2013
Florida
It doesn't matter. I know his value last year was better than the crap we got for him.

I don't care how much you try to defend PG. He was a brutal GM. That's how he'll be remembered and it's well deserved. He sucked.

He just sucked! My heart broke more with every game. Last season, i sat right next to the Habs bench at a Panthers game and I have never seen a more depressed team. PK was the only one with any energy. And that was in March when they still had a chance at making the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Short of being Pierre Gauthier himself, you have no clue that he didn't.
The fact that he was traded the day after IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME wasn't enough evidence for you that he didn't? You really have to contort reality to be able to believe this man.

And then you go and say the fans will leave if we lose...

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
The fact that he was traded the day after IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME wasn't enough evidence for you that he didn't? You really have to contort reality to be able to believe this man.

How does one point link to the other? Arguing with you is like watching someone trying to herd cats.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How does one point link to the other? Arguing with you is like watching someone trying to herd cats.
With suckers like him who will defend anything the team does, the fans won't ever go away no matter what mgmt does.

And dude, I'm serious... I really don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Gauthier. He was a failure pretty much across the board.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
With suckers like him who will defend anything the team does, the fans won't ever go away no matter what mgmt does.

And dude, I'm serious... I really don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Gauthier. He was a failure pretty much across the board.

I am serious too, you can't tell your Siamese apart from your Himalayans and the Calicos are all over the place!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I am serious too, you can't tell your Siamese apart from your Himalayans and the Calicos are all over the place!
Dude, seriously. Explain the love you have for this guy. I've never gotten a straight answer from you. What is it with you defending this guy? I'm genuinely curious and I'm sure a lot of others are too.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

So do you seriously believe that during the MONTHS that he was talking trade with Calgary he never spoke to any other teams about Cammy?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Dude, seriously. Explain the love you have for this guy. I've never gotten a straight answer from you. What is it with you defending this guy? I'm genuinely curious and I'm sure a lot of others are too.

I have explained it about 50 times, it centres around common sense and analyzation of his body of work. The arguments I have heard on the contrary centre around "because I said so".

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think both GMs (Gainey and Gauthier) made some dumb moves. However, it's easy to forget today, how bad the team was before Gainey stepped in.

What's easy to forget is that André Savard had already started to improve the team. What's also easy to forget is that it's André Savard who hired Timmins. A Timmins who was responsible for mostly all the good "moves" Gainey and Gauthier made.....

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I have explained it about 50 times, it centres around common sense and analyzation of his body of work. The arguments I have heard on the contrary centre around "because I said so".

What in his decade long tenure have you analyzed to make it common sense to argue for him? Here's the complete transaction history when he was Habs Head of Pro Scouting/Assistant GM to when Gainey gave him the job.

http://www.gohabs.com/trades.htm

What exactly when you look at it big picture makes it common sense that there is some sort of amazing talent analyzer or GM.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Yes, but the loss was well-compensated by the acquisition of Schneider mid-season in my opinion.

Pouliot was not the worst player in the NHL, I think he had our best goal scoring at even strength measured per playing time, and he was not going to cost 3 million. He signed for 1.1 million with Boston.

We would have had to offer him a minimum of 1.5 million to retain his rights, and he was simply not worth it. He was lazy and talentless. Boston certainly didn't waste anytime not qualifying that useless turd either. How many players have honestly had 2 teams refuse to qualify a player in as many years? Pouliot may very well be the only one. He's a terrible player.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Short of being Pierre Gauthier himself, you have no clue that he didn't.

he was shopping him for months, but the perfect deal just happened to surface during the 2nd intermission of the game the day after Cammalleri spoke out? You're going to tell me next that Roy was also being shopped and his tantrum had nothing to do with it?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
What in his decade long tenure have you analyzed to make it common sense to argue for him? Here's the complete transaction history when he was Habs Head of Pro Scouting/Assistant GM to when Gainey gave him the job.

What exactly when you look at it big picture makes it common sense that there is some sort of amazing talent analyzer or GM.

Until you can prove Gauthier was the driving force behind ANY of Gaineys moves I can't take them into account. Gainey had the last word and the fault lies with him ultimately. I don't see anyone laying blame for Kaberle or Bourque on PG's head of pro scouting so why all of a sudden is this special set of rules being used?

If you want to discuss the moves made during PG's tenure as GM so be it even though I have went over them ad nauseum.

I know the faithful are ever so desperate to explain Gaineys utter failure away on the nearest scapegoat but I don't buy it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You haven't explained it 50 times man. You haven't explained it at all. When you are challenged on this you come back with some snarky one liner.

What is it about Gauthier that causes you to defend him so vigorously? Please explain it to us.

Yup, that's what I want to know.
So do you seriously believe that during the MONTHS that he was talking trade with Calgary he never spoke to any other teams about Cammy?
The guy was traded the following day after his mini rant (which he apologized for.) And the guy who he traded him for was suspended. There was no need to do it when he did.

And no, I don't think that he seriously shopped Cammy around and the fact that he was traded the next day and the circumstances of the trade (middle of the game and for a suspended player) are proof of this. It was a knee jerk reactionary trade designed to save face for PG and a desperate grab at possibly grabbing the final playoff spot. If you can't see this with the circumstances under which it was done, there's no convincing you. The facts speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad