Pierre Gauthier was terrible but...

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Honestly, his hockey moves were actually decent when you look at it. Nothing great overall, but he made some good moves that are helping the team now.

He just ran the team in a completely bizarre manner with ridiculous secrecy and then a total lack of class.

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Honestly, his hockey moves were actually decent when you look at it. Nothing great overall, but he made some good moves that are helping the team now.

He just ran the team in a completely bizarre manner with ridiculously secrecy and then a total lack of class.

This.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gauthier made several good hockey moves:

Good:
He got Emelin
He got Diaz
He got Eller
The Cammalleri trade
The Gill trade
The Kostitsyn trade
Keeping Desharnais in the system
No bad contracts signed during his tenure
Erik Cole

Bad:
Kaberle trade
Losing Pouliot and a few others for nothing
Keeping Gill over Wisniewski or Hamrlik

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I always say, what got him fired was banking the season on a healthy Markov without an adequate replacement (aka not finding a Hamrlik replacement). Not having Markov start with team + injuries sent the team in a downward spiral until the bottom, after which he panicked.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

He just ran the team in a completely bizarre manner with ridiculously secrecy and then a total lack of class.

No. His hockey moves were not good. Better than Gainey's but that's not saying much. He should have stayed as a scout. No business running a team.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
No. His hockey moves were not good. Better than Gainey's but that's not saying much. He should have stayed as a scout. No business running a team.

Gauthier had good and bad moves. His contracts were reasonable - some overpayments but nothing as awful as Gainey with Gomez and Cammalleri. Some bad trades (Kaberle, other panic trades), some good ones (trading for Wizniewski and then not overpaying to keep him, the tank trades last year, trading Halak instead of Price) plus bringing in Diaz and Emelin and signing Cole.

Even as far as "toughness" goes he is responsible for things like promoting White and increasing our size last year (in good and bad ways)

If you look at player decisions individually he actually did more good than bad. His problem was he had no vision for building a team, basically changing the identity every time they ran into problem, and awful, personnel management and communications. And his attempts to dismantle the scouting staff were really dumb.

Really, he was not a good GM by any means but he wasn't the second coming of Houle like he's described here. He might actually be good for Chicago if he sticks to scouting.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You know how good a GM/head of pro scouting is when most of the positives in the tenure are based on amateur scouting.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
He didn't find ****. Diaz was on the Swiss National Team, for ****'s sake. He DID however convince him to sign with us. But you can also thank Mark Streit for that, because even though he was no longer with us, he praised the town to Diaz and that's how he chose us. I remember the story when he signed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gauthier made several good hockey moves:

Good:
He got Emelin
He got Diaz
He got Eller
The Cammalleri trade
The Gill trade
The Kostitsyn trade
Keeping Desharnais in the system
No bad contracts signed during his tenure
Erik Cole

Bad:
Kaberle trade
Losing Pouliot and a few others for nothing
Keeping Gill over Wisniewski or Hamrlik
I don't credit him with Emelin.
Eller wasn't really a great move.
The Cammy trade was brutal.
We drained Kosti of any value before dealing him.
Bad contracts came in the way of trade (Bourque & Kaberle)

Those aren't good moves man. He sucked ass.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't credit him with Emelin.
why not?

Eller wasn't really a great move.
I disagree, but I like Eller.

I went into detail on this on another board, but basically, we got as much for Halak as anybody ever gets for a goalie.

The Cammy trade was brutal.
I look forward to drafting 31st overall.

We drained Kosti of any value before dealing him.
That's the coach's fault. I'm not sure to what extent the GM can tell the Coach "play X to showcase him for a trade".

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Gauthier had good and bad moves. His contracts were reasonable - some overpayments but nothing as awful as Gainey with Gomez and Cammalleri. Some bad trades (Kaberle, other panic trades), some good ones (trading for Wizniewski and then not overpaying to keep him, the tank trades last year, trading Halak instead of Price) plus bringing in Diaz and Emelin and signing Cole.

Even as far as "toughness" goes he is responsible for things like promoting White and increasing our size last year (in good and bad ways)

If you look at player decisions individually he actually did more good than bad. His problem was he had no vision for building a team, basically changing the identity every time they ran into problem, and awful, personnel management and communications. And his attempts to dismantle the scouting staff were really dumb.

Really, he was not a good GM by any means but he wasn't the second coming of Houle like he's described here. He might actually be good for Chicago if he sticks to scouting.

He wasn't Houle bad, but he was bad. Also, it was the moves he didn't make that made him look bad as well. The Markov blunder...and then letting Hamr go and banking on Emelin and Diaz in their 1st years? Then he goes after a guy who no longer plays in the league in Campoli?

How about at the trade deadline 2 years ago where Max was injured and we needed another forward. This guy gets Sopel and Mara...2 players who no longer play in the league then comes up with some stupid roof story as to why Halpern was on the 1st line?

The fact that the team was soft and he did NOTHING to address it...even after the beatdown in beantown...then realizes a year later that we needed to get bigger and tougher?

Our bottom 6 has been a mess with him.

The Kaberle trade was absolutely terrible and now it's handcuffing us like I said it would.

Halak deal was not good either.

Lastly, he knew Martin's style and did not build a team that complimented his style. Terrible GM.

Emelin was in the system. Diaz is a good little player but not someone you praise a GM for getting. Cole deal...he offered more money and term than any other team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
why not?

I disagree, but I like Eller.

I went into detail on this on another board, but basically, we got as much for Halak as anybody ever gets for a goalie.

I look forward to drafting 31st overall.

That's the coach's fault. I'm not sure to what extent the GM can tell the Coach "play X to showcase him for a trade".
I think Emelin was coming no matter what.

Okay. I hope he likes the pressbox. Not all his fault but he wasn't exactly the best we could've done. You say we got the best we could? I'll disagree. I will give PG credit for at least going after a prospect though.

Are you looking forward to three more years of Bourque? And there's no way we couldn't have gotten a first for Cammy. The 31st might be great but we still won't have got what we could've.

Teams showcase players they're going to trade all the time. I don't know why we couldn't do this. And didn't PG start actually downplaying him in the press? I can't remember this clearly and I could be wrong but I seem to remember that.

Anyways, I've ripped PG many times in the past and I stand by what I've said. He was an absolutely terrible GM. Best thing he did for us was unintentionally lead us to last place so we got Galchenyuk. So basically, the best thing about him was his incompetence.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
"Keeing Desharnais in the system" what on Earth does that even mean? lol

A lot of fringe prospects don't have their contracts renewed and you never hear about them.

It's not hard to understand. Why are you having a hard time understanding this? I thought it was a simple point.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Did he not acquire Dom Moore? Perhaps the best deadline deal the Habs have made in the past decade.

No, the best deadline deal of the past decade is trading Craig Rivet for Gorges and Paciorettty, no other deal even comes close.

feds91

May 17, 2004
he wasn't as bad as his predecessor

losing beauchemin, hainsey, ribeiro, grabovski, mcdonagh for nothing!!! :cry:

but his trading of cammalleri during a game and the kaberle trade were brutal. + i think he could have gotten a lot more for halak.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

He just ran the team in a completely bizarre manner with ridiculous secrecy and then a total lack of class.

This

He wasn't THAT bad and hockey wise he made some decent and some bad moves but i despised his personality. He ran the team like one of those Eastern European dictators of the 1700's. The guy was flat , monotone and grim.

In the end i am damn glad he and Gainey are gone.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Poile gave a 2nd for Andrei Kostitsyn and let him go in the offseason. This is usually what you see with rentals.

Yees, but it's better to keep a rental if he fits, see Los Angeles and Jeff Carter, or Boston with Rick Peverley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad