Pierre Gauthier was terrible but...

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Alot of the hate against the guy came because of the man personality.

I have to admit though that his way of running the team could have produced a bad atmosphere and help creating the bad results on the ice.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Honestly, his hockey moves were actually decent when you look at it. Nothing great overall, but he made some good moves that are helping the team now.

He just ran the team in a completely bizarre manner with ridiculous secrecy and then a total lack of class.

Not sure if serious.

Last place regards,

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
PG is one of the worse GM in NHL history....now say what you like,sure Montreal's worse season start in what 60 or more year was with him as GM....the team sucked,period...When was the last time Montreal finish near last overall in NHL....that again was with PG as GM.

He ran our team into a expansion team period.A team so soft it was embarrassing to the Habs alumni to the point they were speaking out media ,and the players themselves were asking for more tough....not until last 20 games of season when it was already over, they finally got it ...lol....

He was so bad he was emptying seats at Bell CENTRE...FACT....couple all the weird crap like trading a player during a game...

Now there is no skill in sucking, me or any poster here could have been GM last year and got the 3rd over all pick...

Glad he is gone ....

the 3rd over pick wasnt cause he was smart,but it serves as compensation for the pain he cause this franchise...

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
:laugh::laugh:

Nothing like a good old fashioned Gauthier thread. It's always worth a chuckle or two.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
:laugh::laugh:

Nothing like a good old fashioned Gauthier thread. It's always worth a chuckle or two.

if it was up to me, i would have the word Gauthier banned on Habs hockeyfutures board...every time some typed it, be like a censored a swear word

He forever has a spot as one of the top worse Habs Gm's in history.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
At this point I think you'll win our bet. Bourque is playing much better this year.

He isn't scoring many goals so I wouldn't count you out yet, it seems like he has switched to more of a "passer" role. I didn't see his role change coming but I have read he rushes way more from the right wing which I doubt he gets played on this year. Either way I don't really care too much, just glad he is generating chances.

hogtownhabsfan*

Honestly, his hockey moves were actually decent when you look at it. Nothing great overall, but he made some good moves that are helping the team.
I've been saying this the whole time. The guy made good moves, he just had a disastrous injury ravaged year cost him. I mean he is responsible for a lot of the good things going on with this team right now. From going against the majority and keeping Price over Halak, to resigning Markov and bringing over Emelin and Diaz.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
[...]Gotta give credit where it's due.

he did some good, he did some bad. as it's been said earlier in the thread, gauthier's biggest problem is not his hockey moves, it's that he turned the franchise into an embarrassing circus... people person he is not.

he panicked a bit earlier last season when he acquired kaberle because our powerplay bombed, but when the team went bad, he recognized it and started selling. only thing he messed up then is he could have dumped campoli for a third, but help on for a second.

the bournival and holland/bourque/2nd trades are gonna be good ones ;)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
i don't think anybody, anywhere, misses him. his mom probably hates him too

I dunno, OneSharpFan seems to be short a skirt and pom poms from being his head cheerleader.

First, regardless of whether or not the trade was good, you have to agree that trading him during the game is the right move. Cammalleri is an elite injury player. He missed 16 games in 2011-2012, 15 games in 2010-2011, 17 games in 2009-2019, 19 games in 2007-08. Once you have a deal in place for Cammalleri that you think is good, you have to trade him, or you risk not being able to trade him at all.

Sure, Gauthier could have waited until the deadline to bid up that price, but there was a solid possibility Cammalleri could have become untradeable due to yet another injury. Once you have a satisfactory deal in place, you move imo.

Second, it's a good trade. We're getting a high second rounder in a deep draft. We're getting Patrick Holland who is equivalent to a 2nd rounder imo, and Rene Bourque is a decent gamble. I'd rather do the trade without Bourque involved, but maybe it was required. It must be very hard to unload a contract with a lot of term for an overpaid player.

Cammalleri is a player who is a 1st liner on a bad team and a 2nd liner on a good team. At 6 million dollars, he won't be a hot commodity.

There is a reason it was the first time the entire history of the NHL. Risking injury? Ridiculous. Should we bench the team in case they are struck by lightning? The fact PG considered Bourque a "decent deal" is in and of itself why he was shown the door.

Soon people will be crediting that trade to Bergevin, because he's a genius and does no wrong.

If Subban is traded. Bergevin's legacy will die with it. ;)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gill signed for, what? 2.5M? A little bit less than the awful contract by Wisniewski.

I love Hamrlik, but his time here was done.

James Wisniewski signed for Columbus for 5 years @ 6.5 million per.

That doesn't mean it would have cost that much to keep him here. If we had offered him a contract before dealing his rights that he had found satisfactory, he might have stayed here rather than test the market, as he did with Columbus. It's not like he knew Columbus would offer 33 million over 5 years.

Last edited:

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
James Wisniewski signed for Columbus for 5 years @ 6.5 million per.

That doesn't mean it would have cost that much to keep him here. If we had offered him a contract before dealing his rights that he had found satisfactory, he might have stayed here rather than test the market, as he did with Columbus. It's not like he knew Columbus would offer 33 million over 5 years.

So, what, 6.2, 6.3? AFAIR from his own statements Wisniewski was always fairly committed to getting the max money he could.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I've been saying this the whole time. The guy made good moves, he just had a disastrous injury ravaged year cost him. I mean he is responsible for a lot of the good things going on with this team right now. From going against the majority and keeping Price over Halak, to resigning Markov and bringing over Emelin and Diaz.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

If I had the time or the inclination I would scrounge up some of Milbury's decent trades and claim hey he wasn't that bad.

I hated Gainey's tenure with the Habs but part of the problem with Gainey was his daughter's death but the other problem was he listened to his right hand man: Gauthier who at the very least advised Gainey about signing Samsanov, Cammalleri, Spacek, trading for Gomez and giving away Ribeiro for a d-man who wasn't even capable of lacing up his skates anymore.

I decided I have the time:

Jan'96: Rhodes & Redden for Beaupre, Straka & Bedard
Mar'96: W.Clark/M.Schneider/D.Smith to TOR for D. Hendrickson/K.Jonsson/S. Haggerty and TOR 1st Rounder(R. Luongo) +1
May 00: 4th Round Pick(J.Ronnqvist) to ANA for Trent Hunter
Jan 01: 5th Round Pick(J.Andresen) to LAK for J.Blake

Hey he wasn't that bad if you ignore his terrible trades. Gauthier wasn't as bad but that's only because he didn't get as much time as Mad Mike.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad