Confirmed with Link: Pierre Engvall signs 2 year extension (AAV: 1.25M)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The expansion draft is in June & Free agency is in July. We could just sign Hyman after the draft. Same with Freddy.

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Mikheyev - - - - - - (Kerfoot + Johnsson are traded)

Rielly, Muzzin, RHD we are going to acquire.

Sandin + Liljegren are exempt I believe.

Yeah, the worst case scenario is they lose Dermott for nothing. (but that'll only happen if they have a RHD that's better)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, the worst case scenario is they lose Dermott for nothing. (but that'll only happen if they have a RHD that's better)

TBH if the Leafs re-sign Muzzin, Dermott may not even be on the team next year. If they don't re-sign Muzzin, they can still protect Dermott. Holl will be the guy they expose, with Rielly, a RHD and Dermott/Muzzin getting protection, and Sandin/Liljegren having exemption.

Seattle may take Holl, but TBH it's not a big deal. He's a replaceable bottom pairing guy you can find in UFA every year and one of Lindgren, Rasanen, Hollowell or Duszak should hopefully be ready to take over internally.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I'm betting Dermott is traded. With Rielly, Sandin and potentially Muzzin being resigned I think Dermott is packaged for some right side help.
FWIW I had hoped Dermott would take the next step this year. He hasn't, and has looked even worse with increased responsibility since Rielly went down.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm betting Dermott is traded. With Rielly, Sandin and potentially Muzzin being resigned I think Dermott is packaged for some right side help.
FWIW I had hoped Dermott would take the next step this year. He hasn't, and has looked even worse with increased responsibility since Rielly went down.

Dermott may just get traded for picks too. They may be able to get a top 4 RD with just one of their top 9 guys.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dubas only overpays players making more than 6 million.

Certainly not Willy

The point has to do with overall team building. Is it better to have 6 Tyson Barrie types? Is it better to have 6 Muzzins? Or or or is it better to have a mix?

It's not like he's signing an Engvall clone that we'll put on a line with him. Engvall fits this team perfectly and I don't count many guys with his size, skill, speed, and defense down the middle on our roster.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The expansion draft is in June & Free agency is in July. We could just sign Hyman after the draft. Same with Freddy.

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Mikheyev - - - - - - (Kerfoot + Johnsson are traded)

Mikheyev is exempt too as he will be a 2nd year player next season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
2 million is the new 1 million. All he really has to do to earn that is be in the lineup everyday, and I'm sure he can do better than that.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Remember, a player that is due to be a UFA in July can be signed by Seattle if they are not protected. I think there is a good chance that Toronto makes a deal with Seattle to minimize their roster loss.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Buy low, nice.
Maybe this explains why Keefe moved him to center when he was killing it on the wing.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Great signing. Glad Dubas got out front of this one. Hopefully able to use it as a comparable for Mikheyev. Hope we can move Johnsson or Kerfoot for D help at the deadline

Reactions: saffronleaf

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Another one of chart boy's Calder cream puffs, contributing and now signed to a cheap deal. Horrible. Everything about this regime is unprecedented and horrible. Make chart boy wear it like a pair of hipster glasses.

Mar 14, 2015
Should’ve held out Pierre could’ve got more of the GM is pretty stupid I am amazed he could actually get a player for a decent price must’ve been Shana plan that did it

wtf1.gif

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Remember, a player that is due to be a UFA in July can be signed by Seattle if they are not protected. I think there is a good chance that Toronto makes a deal with Seattle to minimize their roster loss.
True. But if I'm Toronto, I look at what happened to Florida and Anahiem vis a vis Vegas, and seeing what that team accomplished at their expense. My response is "you want him...take him. Cause we're not stocking your talent pool with our draft picks."

Also, would Hyman really jump ship on his hometown team...one that is going to be a perennial contender for a long time (yes, I believe this to be true) for the chance at few extra bucks on an expansion team that is most likely not going to repeat what Vegas did? Not to mention the fact that he gets to play with two of the best centres in the NHL? I don't think so. And if he goes for the money, then that says to me the name on the back means more than the name on the front, so here's your hat, what's your hurry...don't let the door hit you in ass on the way out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad