Confirmed with Link: Pierre Engvall signs 2 year extension (AAV: 1.25M)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Does he:

1. Hit/Finish his checks

2. Fight

?

I think that if you said no to the above then don't you question this signing?

In no way do I think this contract is bad or that he's bad. I just question why we have so many non-role players.

Perhaps they'll use him to trade for one.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Engvall has been great. Awesome price for him.

I do wish we could have locked him up longer, though.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Only 175k off from being a perfect signing. 1.075M per would've allowed the entire cap hit to be sent to the minors in the worst case scenario that Engvall just caught lightning in a bottle.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Engvall may have just become our most valuable trade chip, not that I want to lose him. But, that's a heck of an interesting deal for a fella his size, who has showed some promise at C, is competent at wing and will still be a RFA at the end of this deal.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Does he:

1. Hit/Finish his checks

2. Fight

?

In no way do I think this contract is bad or that he's bad. I just question why we have so many non-role players.

No? He's a huge, fast, offensively skilled and defensive apt centreman who has been playing really well in every role plus taking on a lot of PK responsibility while only being a 23 year old rookie. He looks like he could be our 3rd line centre for a while if he keeps going like this.

Maybe he does get traded or picked up in expansion but he's definitely worthy of this.

Reactions: kb

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Here's my seattle protection list at the moment under a scenario where 3 likely moves occur:

Muzzin extended, Hyman extended and one of Kerfoot/Johnsson/kapanen is traded for a d:

Tavares (NMC), Matthews, Marner, Nylander, 2 of those above 3, Hyman

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

Campbell

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Does he:

1. Hit/Finish his checks

2. Fight

?

Is he a good player? Yes. We traded for a guy who hits and fights and he's contributed two third period penalties for holding.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Engvault Engaged!

Seems like each side gave a little. Lower AAV for the leafs and lower term for the gazelle.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Here's my seattle protection list at the moment under a scenario where 3 likely moves occur:

Muzzin extended, Hyman extended and one of Kerfoot/Johnsson/kapanen is traded for a d:

Tavares (NMC), Matthews, Marner, Nylander, 2 of those above 3, Hyman

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

Campbell

The expansion draft is in June & Free agency is in July. We could just sign Hyman after the draft. Same with Freddy.

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Mikheyev - - - - - - (Kerfoot + Johnsson are traded)

Rielly, Muzzin, RHD we are going to acquire.

Sandin + Liljegren are exempt I believe.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure what your point in this all is? We signed a homegrown player for 2 years at 1.25M who can play third line W and C effectively. Just because he's not a good old' Ontario boy who fights and hits we should just drop good players?

The point has to do with overall team building. Is it better to have 6 Tyson Barrie types? Is it better to have 6 Muzzins? Or or or is it better to have a mix?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad