Pierre Dorion's trade tracker

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think context is vital to understanding that Dorion isn’t a drooling moron.

Up until about 6 months ago, he was trying to win now, willing to reduce the odds of winning in 18-19, 19-20 and 20-21 to win in 16-17 and 17-18. Clearly the strategy didn’t work, but it’s why it all looks so awful on June 21, 2018. If you look at each trade and try to see what it was trying to accomplish, I don’t think it looks nearly as bad. Yeah, the future looks a little bleak (a lot bleak without EK) but that’s the price you pay when you push all your chips in.

He put all his chips in and this is what the forwards are looking like next season

Dzingel Duchene Stone
Boedker Pageau Ryan
Gaborik Smith Pyatt
Paajarvi White Burrows
McCormick

Hahahahahaha

Only Montreal is in worse shape

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Our drafting is much better than our pro asset management. The way things are spiraling this summer the possibility that Duchene would want to move on could increase.. losing him or having to overpay .. could be where we are at... I admit it is possible it all works out well re Duchene... If EK gets traded .. Ceci ,is our #1 D and needs to be signed and could get overpaid as a result. Mark Stone another cornerstone piece is also an RFA due a hefty raise... Things could continue to spiral if we lose more top players. He could go to arbitration and take a 1 year deal. ... Yup I admit my view is bleak... sorry ... I am having a hard time finding the light.
I agree, things could spiral.... Hoping not :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You seem to be under the impression that one trade is the cost. It's everything. We decided to go all in, that meant trading Zib and a 2nd for Brassard, it meant flipping futures like Dahlen for a washed up vet that we had to sign an extra 2 years beyond his best before date, it also didn't end with the playoff run. I'm taking about the entirety of the decision to go all in, that includes last season where we kept buying up until the bottom fell out. The cost is what you see now, and it might mean losing Karlsson. It certainly means losing our 1st this year or next so that we could get a #1 center that we now have to convince to stick around. it means swapping Zibanejad at 23 years old and a 2nd for a 28 year old guy we've already shipped out for futures.

There is no way to describe our current situation other than horrific and a large part of that is because we went all in while clearly not being a team that any rational person really considered contenders.

Sorry, but there is another way, it’s just not your way. Try and keep an open mind. It’s simple, you feel strongly one way, but several people who post here feel differently. You’re a mod, Try and keep an open mind please.

My perspective is that none of the trades are why we’re here at this juncture. You didn’t address anything I said in my post which is unfortunate.

We didn’t lose Hoffman because of trades, we’re not on the verge of losing EK because of trades.

We traded Zib because we didn’t want to give zib big long term money, and not many would be on board with that now. We got Brass and a run, and then a 22 and Gus, and we’re moving forward. It’s convenient to spin, but at base, Zib was not worth big long term money, many agree. So, you trade him while he’s worth something, and move on.

We’ll talk about Dahlen the second he does something in the NHL, and I’ll know before you, rest assured. Maybe I’m less upset because if he’s good, folks around me will be happy.

We bottomed out this year because EK sucked, the locker room was toxic, and the goaltending was subpar. It could all be because of the locker room.

You think we need to convince, yet both Stone and Duche have said they want to stay. Duche even said that he heard the plan and is on board.

Inconvenient, so you ignore, it seems...

Definitely a drunk post.

Reactions: albator71

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Condon and Brassard trades were good, Phaneuf one was alright since we got rid of his contract, but the rest are below average or just plain bad.
Brassard trade was garbage.

Out Zibanejad 32nd pick 2018

In Gustavsson 22nd pick 2018 140th pick 2018 100th pick 2019

TERRIBLE.

This list just shows how bad of a gm he is. Worse prospects and picks out worse roster players out by an enormous margin.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Zibanejad is not worth his money because the Sens would rather give it to an aging Burrows and Anderson

Zibanejad would have led the Sens in goals last season...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Zibanejad 25yrs old 6’2 225lb Center
Coming off a 70GP 27G 212sog year

Not worth 5.35 a season... that’s low end second line money

Reactions: DrEasy

RICKY SPANISH

Aug 16, 2016
Lol come to terms with it.

Or just be a fan of the rangers?

0% chance that run/season happens with zib at the helm. He was outplayed directly by Brass in the series. Ffs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not the greatest prospect pool, some overpaid players taking up cap, and not having a # 1 pick. That in itself looks grim for the Sens.
Even worse, is the aura around the team now. Apparently players want out, cheap owner, empty seats, and no hope of making. the playoffs soon. That makes attracting UFAs to the Sens really difficult and impossible without overpaying.
Wow want a change in since the Conference Finals in May 2017. It just looks like there is "no hope" for the next five years.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Lol come to terms with it.

Or just be a fan of the rangers?

0% chance that run/season happens with zib at the helm. He was outplayed directly by Brass in the series. Ffs.

Hard to imagine a young player getting better with age...

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Part of it is surely the injury last season, but his stats have more or less stagnated over the past three seasons. And I don't see them getting better as 1C for the Rangers. He's at his best when he's the 'forgotten' piece, the one that gets the opponent's second pairing.

RICKY SPANISH

Aug 16, 2016

Or regressing. But that never happens, right?

It's almost like deals are made given certain circumstances and strategies. Who would have thought?

It was obviously a win now move, and I would still make that trade 8 days a week.

In the end, we've essentially received 2 firsts for a mediocre 2nd line centre.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That's one way to look at it...

It's not so much smugness that I see from Dorion, but desperation and overplaying his hand. That first point I don't think is accurate. He's been fairly consistent about using that pick and all the side noise about giving it up is not coming from him (or at least not directly).

Regarding the Hoffman deal, that wasn't a 3 way trade...that was the Sens wanting to avoid trading their top line winger to a division rival for bodies rather than picks and Doug Wilson taking advantage of that to flip the asset for picks.

I'm not talking about his considconsi about using the pick. I'm talking about his arrogance in creating a new kind of trade condition that has the whole fan base speculating about whether they'll be worse than the 4th pick next year.

And I know Hoffman wasn't a three way trade. That's why I said he's only done 2 three way trades.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So not counting things that are a complete write off/mostly without value, basically boils down to:

Duchene, Gustavsson, 22nd overall 2018, Formenton

for

Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Bowers, Dahlen, 4th overall 2018 or 1st 2019, 33rd overall 2018
He’d be on extremely thin ice anywhere but here.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Just what we paid for the Duchene, I loved the trade then, and still love it now. It doesn't mean that I don't recognize that next year's pick could be a good one for the Avs, but we got the player the Avs hope their assets can be as good as, and as long as we extend him he's worth the assets in my mind.
yes I love turning into a trainwreck and being the worst team in the league for the last 50 games of the season after a trade. we gave up far too much to upgrade on turris & it backfired anyways so there's nothing to be happy about for that trade. why would he possibly extend here in any imaginable universe? we're about to hit a rebuild and he's 1 year away from UFA. he's gone by the deadline and we wont' have a top 5 pick because of it.
I'm ok with Zibs return (obvious cash/pick stuff aside), and the sweet run makes the Burrows trade palatable for me despite his drop off this year (I know people think we could have done it anyways, but I'm definitely a bird in hand kind of guy with my sports) And I was a fan of Burrows in Van seeing as how it's technically my home team.
You're letting yourself be blinded by fandom. He missed 4 games from injury in the Pittsburgh series and was INVISIBLE in the Boston series. We had atleast 1 of Wingels/Kelly/Neil sitting in the pressbox during the playoffs while he played. We gave up a potential top6 winger for a guy who did absolutely nothing for us in the playoffs, then fell off a cliff the next season after signing a two year extension. terrible trade.

ask yourself if you're okay with trading Zibanajed + a 2nd for what we got in return in the Brassard to Pittsburgh trade. Brassard to Pittsburgh individually was a decent return, but the first part a year earlier where we gave up Zibanajed and a 2nd to acquire him was a huge overpayment.

I'm not happy with the return on Havlat, Spezza, Heatley, or Hoffman, but each of these players screwed us. We must have the worst luck with good players tanking their value for us before leaving, and that's spanning over three GM's!

this is such an irrelevant point that no one even came close to touching, lol.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He hasn't had a great run at all as GM. I'm waiting to see what happens with Karlsson. I hope if Karlsson is traded he fetches a better return than what was received back for Hoffman.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
A lot of Avs fans on the main board are really starting to get on my nerves. I've seen some unironically argue that Karlsson is barely better than Barrie.

Seems they have that number 1 overall pick penciled in, hoping that pick ends up late and watching the subsequent melt down is basically what i will be cheering for next season along with new ownership

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad