Pick your young defenceman

Pick your young defenceman

• Total voters

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Dahlin, Makar, Chabot and Hughes all have a considerably higher PPG in the NHL than Heiskanen, all with comparable or better defensive games. Heiskanen can't match the puck moving ability of any of them, and he lacks the vision, ability to control a game and passing ability of Fox. He is a better skater than Fox, but that is pretty much it. Argue why this post is ridiculous.
This is a troll right?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Makar currently on pace to have the best offensive rookie season by a defenseman...of all time.

Reactions: Balthazar

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Makar currently on pace to have the best offensive rookie season by a defenseman...of all time.

"Best offensive" is true. Overall defense is a different game. Makar is the best offensive D of the bunch atm. I also take in consider actual defense when valuing a defender. Heiskanen is way better than the rest on that.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
My rankings as well

In what World is Dahlin better than Makar and Heiskanen? I know Dahlin is a No1 pich and hype comes with that, but atm Dahlin is not better than the others. Raw potential maybe there and if the vote is for the future you may have a case

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Went with Heiskanen as more of a sure thing than Dahlin.

Dahlin does have more offensive skills, but that only matters if he catches up defensively, and its been a while since a d-man was so good so young in his own end as Heiskanen. I'm struggling to think of who. Maybe Bourque?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Heiskanen is actually Top1 defensively of the bunch. Makar is offensively No1 imo and Heiskanen defensively. All-around Heiskanen/Makar are the best. Dahlin doesnt get PK minutes and isnt trusted last minutes if Sabres lead. I have them as this:

Offensively:

1.Makar
2.Heiskanen/Dahlin
3.Chabot
4.Hughes
5. Fox

Defensively:

1.Heiskanen
2.Fox/Makar
3.Chabot
4.Dahlin/Hughes

Overall:

1.Heiskanen/Makar

2.Dahlin
3.Chabot
4.Fox
5.Hughes

Whoa. I have other disagreements but I can understand your arguments, but you think Fox is the 2nd best defensively?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
"Best offensive" is true. Overall defense is a different game. Makar is the best offensive D of the bunch atm. I also take in consider actual defense when valuing a defender. Heiskanen is way better than the rest on that.
Makar doesn't suck defensively because he's elite offensively. That's the thing.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
In what World is Dahlin better than Makar and Heiskanen? I know Dahlin is a No1 pich and hype comes with that, but atm Dahlin is not better than the others. Raw potential maybe there and if the vote is for the future you may have a case

I'd say most are voting for the future which should explain the lead for Dahlin.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is there a Makar vs Heiskanen thread? That would be an interesting one.

Heiskanen & Dahlin are at the top for me. I'm tempted to put Heiskanen ahead of Dahlin, but its hard with Dahlin's tools.

Makar has the tools to be the best of the bunch, but he's not relied upon as much as Heiskanen. I think he still has work to do defensively compared to Heiskanen. It'll be interesting to see how his ice-time grows as the season progresses.

Right now I'd have it:

Heiskanen/Dahlin
Makar
Chabot/Hughes

Fox

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Heiskanen & Dahlin are at the top for me. I'm tempted to put Heiskanen ahead of Dahlin, but its hard with Dahlin's tools.

Makar has the tools to be the best of the bunch, but he's not relied upon as much as Heiskanen. I think he still has work to do defensively compared to Heiskanen. It'll be interesting to see how his ice-time grows as the season progresses.

Right now I'd have it:

Heiskanen/Dahlin
Makar
Chabot/Hughes

Fox

Think we have enough comparison threads for now. There's like 3-4 Heiskanen threads up currently. Unless you mean a poll but still

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Right now I'd have it:

Heiskanen/Dahlin
Makar
Chabot/Hughes

Fox
Right now I have Makar above Dahlin but future I have them switching places.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
File this in the "s*** people say before they watch a Makar game" category.

The Makar threads are full of people saying things like

"holy crap he's amazing. I thought this was all hype".

What's your excuse for my saying that Dahlin is an even more special talent? I'm an Avs fan, who got plenty of s*** on here for pumping Cale's tires in his draft year; so what's your excuse for my not sharing your opinion? Is it possible that some folks just see things differently?

...or have you just never seen Dahlin play before? :sarcasm:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This year? Makar.

going forward
Dahlin
Makar
Heiskanen
Chabot
Hughes
Fox

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's your excuse for my saying that Dahlin is an even more special talent? I'm an Avs fan, who got plenty of s*** on here for pumping Cale's tires in his draft year; so what's your excuse for my not sharing your opinion? Is it possible that some folks just see things differently?

...or have you just never seen Dahlin play before? :sarcasm:

That's not what an "excuse" is.

If you want to explain what you see being better in Dahlin, go ahead, I'm not interested in psychoanalyzing your evaluation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad