Pick your young defenceman

Pick your young defenceman

• Total voters

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
I think we can conclude that there are several teams out there who should be absolutely thrilled with their young defensemen.

Reactions: klozge

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hughes has 17 points in 22 games and is tied with Carlson for 1st in PP points. Advanced stats are good.

Hughes is legit.

Absolutely, he is legit. I wasn't disparaging Hughes. Simply stating my opinion that he hasn't separated himself. PP points are great, but far from telling the whole story.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How is Dahlin leading? He hasn't shown that he will be the best of the bunch. Miro has been the best to date and can't imagine he won't get better. Makar can pass them all.
Chabots been the best to date. Makar is the most talented.

Heiskanen is quickly the most overrated player in hockey.

Reactions: AB13

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fox over Chabot is criminal at this point
He will never be as good not remotely close. Chabot has proven way more and has shown elite upside.

Its pretty obvious in this thread that while he likely wont end up being the best Chabot is clearly the most underated. He has been the best of any of these d men up to this point.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
He will never be as good not remotely close. Chabot has proven way more and has shown elite upside.

Its pretty obvious in this thread that while he likely wont end up being the best Chabot is clearly the most underated. He has been the best of any of these d men up to this point.
Except that Heiskanen and Makar has been better this season.

Reactions: jonlin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there is a lot of stat-watching going on in this thread. Advanced stats vary from season to season, as do more basic stats. They are a terrible barometer to judge young players. Absolutely awful.

Don't tell me Quinn Hughes is good defensively because he has good advanced stats defensively in a small and flawed sample or that Dahlin is bad defensively because he has bad advanced stats defensively in a small and flawed sample. If thats your opinion from watching games, go ahead and believe that (or any opinion as thats merely an example), but being so sure about certain abilities of players because you can read a stat chart instantly takes away credibility from an argument.

Reactions: AB13

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think there is a lot of stat-watching going on in this thread. Advanced stats vary from season to season, as do more basic stats. They are a terrible barometer to judge young players. Absolutely awful.

Don't tell me Quinn Hughes is good defensively because he has good advanced stats defensively in a small and flawed sample or that Dahlin is bad defensively because he has bad advanced stats defensively in a small and flawed sample. If thats your opinion from watching games, go ahead and believe that (or any opinion as thats merely an example), but being so sure about certain abilities of players because you can read a stat chart instantly takes away credibility from an argument.

Dahlin is mediocre defensively and that is why Sabres coaching team dont put him on the ice when the game is on the line. If the coach doesnt trust him, that says it all.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Chabots been the best to date. Makar is the most talented.

Heiskanen is quickly the most overrated player in hockey.

Yeah right. Thats why TSN has Heiskanen ranked No1. of theese ypoung guns?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So your argument is that hughes might be bad defensively but we don't know because he's so amazing that he never has to play defense?

I'm fine with that. I'll take that trade.

Pretty much, yes.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Absolutely, he is legit. I wasn't disparaging Hughes. Simply stating my opinion that he hasn't separated himself. PP points are great, but far from telling the whole story.
He's on pace for 64 points now.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Yeah right. Thats why TSN has Heiskanen ranked No1. of theese ypoung guns?
TBH that list was awful. I'm not saying that Heiskanen should have been ranked higher or lower or whatever. Just the whole list was garbage so I wouldn't use it as evidence for anything. As an Av's fan I was shocked at how high they rated Byram (lots of other bad stuff as well just saying this isn't a homer complaint.)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

20 game sample size sure but the situations couldnt be any different its pretty hard to compare. Chabot is on the least talented team in the league and the other two are on top 5 teams from a talent perspective and are way more insulated. Yes they have both been great but I dont know many players that would have overwhelming success if they are in Chabots position.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
20 game sample size sure but the situations couldnt be any different its pretty hard to compare. Chabot is on the least talented team in the league and the other two are on top 5 teams from a talent perspective and are way more insulated. Yes they have both been great but I dont know many players that would have overwhelming success if they are in Chabots position.
In what way is Heiskanen insulated?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
And Chabots entire season last year was better than both of their 20 game sample size this year. Chabot has proven far more. I'm not saying i wouldn't take Makar or Heiskanen over Chabot going forward, i probably would... But it's certainly debatable and Chabot is far more proven.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
And Chabots entire season last year was better than both of their 20 game sample size this year. Chabot has proven far more. I'm not saying i wouldn't take Makar or Heiskanen over Chabot going forward, i probably would... But it's certainly debatable and Chabot is far more proven.
Highly debatable.. Chabot is also ~1,5 years older than Makar, and over 2 years older than Heiskanen.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bear > Fox

Ethan Bear is #1 in the NHL for total 5 v 5 HDSCF and SCF.

The analytics crowd should love Bear, his fancies are exceptional especially considering he’s playing more minutes than any rookie.

Matches the eye test. He has excellent hockey IQ and he’s a one man breakout machine. He’s so poised and calm under pressure snapping pucks up ice on the breakout tape to tape under duress. No one in the NHL is on the ice for more offensive chances for than Ethan Bear.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bear > Fox

Ethan Bear is #1 in the NHL for total 5 v 5 HDSCF and SCF.

The analytics crowd should love Bear, his fancies are exceptional especially considering he’s playing more minutes than any rookie.

Matches the eye test. He has excellent hockey IQ and he’s a one man breakout machine. He’s so poised and calm under pressure snapping pucks up ice on the breakout tape to tape under duress. No one in the NHL is on the ice for more offensive chances for than Ethan Bear.

I have nothing against Bear but this isn't the best argument to use when you spend most of your time with the 2 leading scorers in the NHL.

He looked pretty good in the games I saw though

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019

Right so how do you judge players then, the eye test? Because Im told by some on here that the eye test doesn't tell you everything either. So far Hughes passes the advanced stats, basic stats and the eye test. So if none of those are capable of telling you how good a player is then please, tell me your way of judging players abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad