Phoenix XXXIV: Project Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrCoffea*

I love this guy

Canadian media spews ******** from unconfirmed sources saying that the deal is dead, that the Coyotes are moving, etc... and you believe it 100%

Canadian media says that Colangelo might be involved once again, a guy that can singlehandedly get enough investors to save the team in Phoenix....and all of a sudden you're skeptical about this news

smokes

May 26, 2009
My guess is that IF Colangelo is involved it's likely in his role with the Authority, comprised of >25 local business heavy-hitters like the CEO of Freeport-McMoran and the State President of Bank of America. That would be a pretty good "think-tank" to tap for ideas on how to keep the Coyotes here.

If Colangelo is involved, can we assume that much of the deal that involves public money/backing of some description must be reworked to the point where the citizenry is left clear enough to get GW to back down? Any ideas as to what specifically Colangelo and potentially the other "heavy-hitters" would bring to the table to make a deal work?

Fugu

If Colangelo is involved, can we assume that much of the deal that involves public money/backing of some description must be reworked to the point where the citizenry is left clear enough to get GW to back down? Any ideas as to what specifically Colangelo and potentially the other "heavy-hitters" would bring to the table to make a deal work?

Money?

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
That may be why Colangelo's name has popped up again in the Coyotes saga. He's definitely back in the spotlight, big time.

My guess is that IF Colangelo is involved it's likely in his role with the Authority, comprised of >25 local business heavy-hitters like the CEO of Freeport-McMoran and the State President of Bank of America. That would be a pretty good "think-tank" to tap for ideas on how to keep the Coyotes here.

RR, I agree that Colangelo's appearance in this saga is noteworthy, and he certainly has the juice to keep the team in Phoenix if he were so inclined.

I'm afraid at this point however that a brainstorm session about ways to to keep the Coyotes in Arizona will be a case of too little too late.

What the Coyotes need now is money. Plain and simple. They need a group to put in enough money into the purchase price that will allow the CoG and NHL to bypass any kind of GWI objection.

To date none of this heavy hitters have been willing to put any skin into this game. The Coyotes have been in flux for 2 years. This is the second straight offseason they are facing relocation to Winnipeg dead in the face. Again I must ask the question, why now?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Colangelo is back?

What's in this for him? He didn't want it the first time.

Puckschmuck*

Do you think maybe the reason Colangelo name is being brought up now is to put the pressure on Hulizer? ie, if he really wants this team he is gonna have to pay out of his own pocket?

This sounds plausible. As we have seen, anything is possible in this saga.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
But the reality is that CoG will be using taxpayer money to fund the sale of the coyotes.

And the Blue Bombers just got help from taxpayers..... Katz wants taxpayers to help him in Edmonton. Those are really OT for this thread, but THAT is also a reality.

The actual reality in Glendale is they two evils to choose from here.... and only one of them provides an opportunity (however difficult it may be) to work themselves out of it as best they can.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't care who is coming out of the woodwork at this time. There is really no time for someone to start negotiating a new lease and get council approval , etc. If someone other than the CoG wants to give Hulsizer $100m and become a partner with Hulsizer still being the main owner, then fine, because all that's needed to close is money. But to start all over with another owner... Not enough time.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If I were a Coyotes fan, I would be wondering where Colangelo has been the past 2 years? Where was he when the team first entered bankruptcy? Where was he all of last season when CoG was negotiating with the likes of IEH? Where was all of last summer up to and including the first December 31 soft deadline? Where was he 2 months ago? Where was he 2 weeks ago?

The answer to all of the above is Colangelo had no interest, and IMO still doesn't. What has changed that all of a sudden Colangelo is interested in this project?

At this late stage in the game, there really isn't any rational reason Colangelo would get involved. I would argue it is Coyotes fans who should be praying to their Devine being of choice that Sunnucks is actually right about somehing for once.

Also not sure who you are referring to in regards to the bold above.

Colangelo has been busy trying to rebuild a landmark country club in the west valley that went into BK and almost out of existance a couple of years ago. On top of overseeing the USA Basketball program.

The man has been busy.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't care who is coming out of the woodwork at this time. There is really no time for someone to start negotiating a new lease and get council approval , etc. If someone other than the CoG wants to give Hulsizer $100m and become a partner with Hulsizer still being the main owner, then fine, because all that's needed to close is money. But to start all over with another owner... Not enough time.

There isn't a need to negotiate a new lease. That was essentially done back in December.

This is all about how they finance it.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
And the Blue Bombers just got help from taxpayers..... Katz wants taxpayers to help him in Edmonton. Those are really OT for this thread, but THAT is also a reality.

The actual reality in Glendale is they two evils to choose from here.... and only one of them provides an opportunity (however difficult it may be) to work themselves out of it as best they can.

Who cares about the Bombers or Katz wanting public money. They don't live where a gift clause exists making it illegal. Change your law or your argument.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I love this guy

Canadian media spews ******** from unconfirmed sources saying that the deal is dead, that the Coyotes are moving, etc... and you believe it 100%

Canadian media says that Colangelo might be involved once again, a guy that can singlehandedly get enough investors to save the team in Phoenix....and all of a sudden you're skeptical about this news

well, the Canadian media in question is a guy everyone knows to be an effing joke...

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I love this guy

Couldn't have anything to do with over the last 2 years we have heard numerous names of groups or individuals coming in to save the team and all have come to nothing.
Since you haven't been able to close in 2 years has us sceptical you can do it in the last minute. This doesn't mean you can't but people have a right to be negative based on past results.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Is there any confirmation yet that Colangelo is even involved.

It sounded like Healy based his report directly off of Sunnucks' article, and Sunnucks has had a relatively poor record over the past few months.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

The reality is that under the above scenario those teams receive facility money, not finances to purchase a franchise. Huge distinction to be made there.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Colangelo has been busy trying to rebuild a landmark country club in the west valley that went into BK and almost out of existance a couple of years ago. On top of overseeing the USA Basketball program.

The man has been busy.

This made me laugh.... A lot.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Is it possible to retrofit the Suns' arena for hockey?

No. Not really. The US Airways Center was build for basketball and cannot fit an ice sheet without taking out lower bowl seats and extending one end so that it is completely obstructed from the upper bowl.

usairwayscenter_hockey-2055.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad