Phoenix XXVI: Pain in the AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
If someone from Houston or KC had approached the NHL ( when this mess first started ) to buy the team, it would already be in one of those places, but nobody did. The only reason the NHL is fighting so hard is because the only people willing to buy the team at face value or more want to move it back to Canada, and Bettman just can't stomach that.

You're giving an answer to a question I didnt ask.

My point in noting the staunch defense of the AZ Consitution (or at least GWI's interpretation of it) and GWI in general, was that most people here, especially those hailing from a certain country, seem to be in support of them simply due to the end game in their minds involving WPG winding up with the Jets back.

To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race and I hold no ill will towards WPG (i loved the early 90's Selanne Jets) or PHX. So I come into it as being pretty neutral. It's just very transparent after reading hundreds of posts on the topic before ever posting myself, that most here support whatever position gets them a team, everything else (constitutionality, right to contract) be damned. This goes for WPG and PHX.

How many people from WPG attended or watched their own city council meeting this month? I'd bet not as many who watched the COG's. Something is wrong there. Priorities are out of whack much in the same way they seem to be with the COG effectively "paying" someone to own a sports franchise while other areas of infrastructure and education in the area are suffering. .

This whole situation is an absolute circus.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
I honestly believe that Bettman hasn't given up on hockey in the desert.

I see his interview as drawing attention to himself and his personal involvement. I see everyone involved closing ranks and preparing to go hardcore with GWI.

Bettman was never content with just winning the original bankruptcy case he seemed to need to get personal. I think that's what we're seeing here.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Phil Lieberman was just interviewed on Winnipeg radio station CJOB and made a few points:

-Bettman met with the COG yesterday and wanted COG to "raise" an additional 40 million for Hulsizer to buy the team (I'm guessing to cover the losses for this year)-Lieberman shot down the idea. He said he's more interested in protecting the people of Glendale than the Coyotes

This to me is rather interesting... After MH stated he's not budging on the terms of the deal, how on earth could Bettman honestly think that the CoG would be able to raise an additional 40M given they haven't been able to even raise 100M for the bonds? Where on earth could that money have come from?

Does Lieberman have any reason to lie here and make this story up, perhaps trying to position the blame to be shared by (primarily) the GWI and less so the NHL should the deal collapse?

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Phil Lieberman was just interviewed on Winnipeg radio station CJOB and made a few points:

-Bettman met with the COG yesterday and wanted COG to "raise" an additional 40 million for Hulsizer to buy the team (I'm guessing to cover the losses for this year)
-Lieberman shot down the idea. He said he's more interested in protecting the people of Glendale than the Coyotes
-He believes that neither COG or GWI will ultimately file lawsuits
-He believes no one will buy the bonds because of the lingering threat of the lawsuit.

What? Seriously?!

edit: If true, this would imply $40 million of cash losses

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
OMG. 6 pages, over 125 posts with who knows how many lines per?. Anyone care to provide the Readers Digest version please & thankyou?. Lord knows what Im going to find walking through the Graveyard Shifts ramblings; nothing much good ever happens, gets done or said between Midnight & 6am. :help:

Puckschmuck*

If the coyotes move I would be very suprised if they moved to Winnepeg. Supposebly a very rich canadian wants a team there, i am sure the leauge would rather get expansion fees from winnepeg and quebec, and relocate sun belt teams to kansas city, seatle, portland, houston. Follow the money. I feel bad for peggers cause in all likelyhood you are being used again by the NHL. I have lived here in Phoenix for 40 years and we regularly got used by NFL and MLB teams to get better deals where they were. It sucks but from a business standpoint and a dollars and sense standpoint as everyone on this non biased :sarcasm: ( I keed I keed) forum points out Canadians are crazy about hockey and would do almost anything to get more teams in Canada. I am sure that includes paying expansion fees. I think that eventually you will see a Winnepeg and GTA expansion offering that can be set up as a bidding war.

The NHL has stood by the coyotes for this long, if they cant get it done I cant really complain much at this point. I hope they do and the coyotes stay, but I dont think you can fault anyone other that the GWI at this point -the NHL has found an owner, the owner has a creative lease that will allow him to put a good product on the ice and rebuild what has been destroyed by 5 years of bad ownership and 2 years of limbo. COG stepped up (maybe too late) but at the end of the day I dont know how long this can continue. I just also think that based on the way this has gone, i would be stunned to see it play out quickly either way, or as anyone expects it too.

Hey Snarky, learn how to spell the name of the city. It's "Winnipeg, not Winnepeg. Thanks :shakehead

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
This to me is rather interesting... After MH stated he's not budging on the terms of the deal, how on earth could Bettman honestly think that the CoG would be able to raise an additional 40M given they haven't been able to even raise 100M for the bonds? Where on earth could that money have come from?

Does Lieberman have any reason to lie here and make this story up, perhaps trying to position the blame to be shared by (primarily) the GWI and less so the NHL should the deal collapse?

If MH can't cover a $40M loss this year what evidence would he have to cover one next year? The arena management fee doesn't even cover half that!

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
When Bettman said the team would go back to Winnipeg I think he was appealing to American nationalism. I'm reminded of the outcry when Roger Clemens signed with the Jays. Some called him unpatriotic.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Dado

OMG. 6 pages, over 125 posts with who knows how many lines per?. Anyone care to provide the Readers Digest version please & thankyou?. Lord knows what Im going to find walking through the Graveyard Shifts ramblings; nothing much good ever happens, gets done or said between Midnight & 6am. :help:

I skipped directly to the last page.

As far as I can tell, no change from yesterday.

Now if you could put together one of your awesome inimitable posts by co-referencing Debbie Harry, Joe Strummer and Max Headroom, something might be salvageable from all this. :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They're not going to back down, basically the gist of it.

The theme song of the GWI courtesy of Tom Petty ( I won't back down )

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
gonna stand my ground
... and I won't back down

Chorus:
(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down...)
hey I will stand my ground
and I won't back down

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I skipped directly to the last page.

As far as I can tell, no change from yesterday.

Well, there is the issue that apparently the NHL and MH asked MH for an additional $40 million.

Consider that this came from Lieberman though.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Goldwater responds to Bettman

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...s-in-blame-battle-with-Bettman-117653458.html

Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen responded, "It sounds like Commissioner Bettman is playing a game of his own: Hide the ball."

Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen replied that, "I guess we are both fascinated. It happens to fascinate me greatly that the Commissioner thinks a handful of politicians can substitute their judgment for the rule of law."

"The NHL is negotiating a deal to sell the Dallas Stars right now, and no taxpayer money appears to be on the table," said Olsen.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You're giving an answer to a question I didnt ask.

My point in noting the staunch defense of the AZ Consitution (or at least GWI's interpretation of it) and GWI in general, was that most people here, especially those hailing from a certain country, seem to be in support of them simply due to the end game in their minds involving WPG winding up with the Jets back.

To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race and I hold no ill will towards WPG (i loved the early 90's Selanne Jets) or PHX. So I come into it as being pretty neutral. It's just very transparent after reading hundreds of posts on the topic before ever posting myself, that most here support whatever position gets them a team, everything else (constitutionality, right to contract) be damned. This goes for WPG and PHX.

How many people from WPG attended or watched their own city council meeting this month? I'd bet not as many who watched the COG's. Something is wrong there. Priorities are out of whack much in the same way they seem to be with the COG effectively "paying" someone to own a sports franchise while other areas of infrastructure and education in the area are suffering. .

This whole situation is an absolute circus.

It would no different if there was a rapid fan base in KC wanting a team.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Now if you could put together one of your awesome inimitable posts by co-referencing Debbie Harry, Joe Strummer and Max Headroom, something might be salvageable from all this. :)

You mean something to the effect of: If we can look 20 minutes in the future can we find out, one way or another, if, in fact, love kills?

That's a trick I would pay to see....

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Goldwater responds to Bettman

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...s-in-blame-battle-with-Bettman-117653458.html

Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen responded, "It sounds like Commissioner Bettman is playing a game of his own: Hide the ball."

Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen replied that, "I guess we are both fascinated. It happens to fascinate me greatly that the Commissioner thinks a handful of politicians can substitute their judgment for the rule of law."

"The NHL is negotiating a deal to sell the Dallas Stars right now, and no taxpayer money appears to be on the table," said Olsen.

:razz::laugh: This is what this is basically boiling down to. I know you are but what am I. If they were still in grade school they would be in a corner right now.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would suggest that there is little financial difference for the NHL between the Coyotes relocating (if it comes to that) to another market, or that market getting a team through expansion.

Either way, the NHL would be receiving approximately $160-180m imo.

Perhaps, but there would be a big difference between the team relocating or not relocating. A relo would remove one potential expansion target from the market.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
How many people from WPG attended or watched their own city council meeting this month? I'd bet not as many who watched the COG's. Something is wrong there. Priorities are out of whack much in the same way they seem to be with the COG effectively "paying" someone to own a sports franchise while other areas of infrastructure and education in the area are suffering.

That makes zero sense. Frankly, if the CoW was right now considering mortgaging the future by proportionately risking taxpayer dollars to bring a team here - in the same manner as the CoG is considering risking the future to keep their own team, one can be certain that commensurate interest would be displayed in the CoW meetings. Since private (not taxpayer) dollars are involved in the Winnipeg bid, there is little interest in the CoW meetings as such. See how that works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad