Phoenix LXXXVII: Hotel Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
finis venit venit finis evigilavit adversum te ecce veni.

Said Silas Monk from the DaVinci Code. Gotta watch copyright infringement cbc. Can be very expensive. Safe now though, credit given to Dan Brown.... surprised this situation stirred thoughts of that character. A self flagellating psychopathic albino assassin.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
As much as I want to see this saga end with the team relocating I feel like I want one more council meeting. I want to see Ken Jones and Arthur Thurston break down why Glendale doesn't need the Coyotes. I want to see Nick Darnius mention the Arizona Constitution's gift clause. I want to see the parade of Coyotes fans promise to spend lots of money in Glendale if the team stays. I want the roll call vote. I want to see Weirs call for order when the 4th no vote is cast. I will never be watching a Glendale City Council meeting again so it would be a nice way to say goodbye

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
NHL can and should wait until Tuesday, anyway. Makes much more sense to do it after the draft than a few days before.

I'd rather it be done ASAP. Maloney has his draft marching orders and if they can make it somewhat official before the start of free agency, it's less of an awkward bind.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Glendale spokesperson Julie Frisoni: "We will post at the earliest possible time that it is known that a meeting will occur, but not later than 72 hours before the actual meeting itself." tweeted by Morgan

Ah ha. There we go then. Clocks running down. That would mean Friday yes?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd rather it be done ASAP. Maloney has his draft marching orders and if they can make it somewhat official before the start of free agency, it's less of an awkward bind.

I can see Don Maloney at the draft podium now...

"The Seattle Unknowns would like to congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup win. We'd like to thank the New Jersey Devils for their hospitality. We'd like to thank the zero Seattle fans watching this draft at our draft party taking place absolutely nowhere on earth. With the twelf overall pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, The Seattle To Be Determineds are honored to select from London of the OHL, Max Domi"

Domi walks up and they slip a Seattle Seahawks jersey and cap on him.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Said Silas Monk from the DaVinci Code. Gotta watch copyright infringement cbc. Can be very expensive. Safe now though, credit given to Dan Brown.... surprised this situation stirred thoughts of that character. A self flagellating psychopathic albino assassin.

I'll plead innocent to the charges. Never thought of the DaVinci Code actually.... I just remember hearing it somewhere and thought it appropriate. I'll beg forgiveness of the courts.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I can see Don Maloney at the draft podium now...

"The Seattle Unknowns would like to congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup win. We'd like to thank the New Jersey Devils for their hospitality. We'd like to thank the zero Seattle fans watching this draft at our draft party taking place absolutely nowhere on earth. With the twelf overall pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, The Seattle To Be Determineds are honored to select from London of the OHL, Max Domi"

Domi walks up and they slip a Seattle Seahawks jersey and cap on him.

how is this different than Winnipeg? Other than the fact that they were forced to announce the name at the draft?

The Avs didn't have a name when they drafted for the first time, btw

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Yes, and awkward being the operative word. Can you imagine your 18 and your being Drafted by the Coyotes, not really knowing what the hecks going on? I mean, sure its an honour just to be picked at all but still. And ya, RFA & UFA season upon us. How does Maloney even compete when he himself doesnt have a clue?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
how is this different than Winnipeg? Other than the fact that they were forced to announce the name at the draft?

The Avs didn't have a name when they drafted for the first time, btw

They weren't "forced" to announce the name at the draft, They chose to.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
That's the amazing part. The CoG takes $50MM ( a fiver with a lot of zeroes behind it ), puts that money in a big pile outside of city hall, and lights it on fire.... on the off chance that someone on earth might buy this team...and nobody puts up a stink. :amazed:

I've said before... I almost want the Coyotes to stay for another 5 years just to see how big the financial crater will be when it's all over.

You "... almost want the Coyotes to stay for another 5 years just to see how big the financial crater will be ..."

I'm guessing there's a whole lot of people who "absolutely" want this to drag on and play out if only to see if the $20 ticket surcharge encourages more fans to attend games, how much Fortress will pay to have Jobing.com rebranded "The Fortress", how big the smiles on the faces of the Ice Edge Clowns at the home opener will be, if with a new owner thousands of fans who sayed away because of no owner suddenly purchase ST's, if the parking charge results in an empty parking lot on game days, what happens when Glendale goes bankrupt, how creditors will be paid and from what pot of gold, will Beasley be dragged into court kicking and screaming, will Scruggs plead the fifth, blah, blah, blah....

The possible scenarios are enough to have this Coyotes BOH thread live on for many years to come. Yes, bring it on / approve the continued destruction of the City of Glendale. This is far, far better than any realty show could ever imagine to be!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I would pay good money to see Bettman's facial expression right now

20121207-090614.jpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't believe that is possible without permission from the NHLPA.

I posted this before, but the NHL has procedures in their constitution for the disbandment of a franchise for various reasons and the procedures for selling off the assets of the team etc. Basically, the players of the said organization are dispersed through a draft process the rules as set out by 3/4 vote of the teams. The NHL does not technically need to discuss this with the NHLPA at all, but ( and this is just my opinion ) I would think they would do so just to be upfront in a rare situation.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
They weren't "forced" to announce the name at the draft, They chose to.

iirc, they were forced into calling the team the Jets and had to announce it at the draft because it was leaking out all over the place that weekend. It was not their plan from the outset or something

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yes, and awkward being the operative word. Can you imagine your 18 and your being Drafted by the Coyotes, not really knowing what the hecks going on? I mean, sure its an honour just to be picked at all but still. And ya, RFA & UFA season upon us. How does Maloney even compete when he himself doesnt have a clue?

Both Tippett and Maloney are comfortable with Seattle, and likely Seattle ownership. Big bucks. So if the league is sure they are moving, they can take the restrictor plate off the 'Coyotes' wallet. Would be a hilarious and awkward transition, including the draft, but thems the breaks.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
iirc, they were forced into calling the team the Jets and had to announce it at the draft because it was leaking out all over the place that weekend. It was not their plan from the outset or something

The only other name that was seriously considered was the bears and that was vetoed. The name could have been released earlier.

Dado

The NHL does not technically need to discuss this with the NHLPA at all...

I understand that, but from a practical perspective there is no way we come out of a lockout year with the BOG laying off an entire team's worth of players.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Both Tippett and Maloney are comfortable with Seattle, and likely Seattle ownership. Big bucks. So if the league is sure they are moving, they can take the restrictor plate off the 'Coyotes' wallet. Would be a hilarious and awkward transition, including the draft, but thems the breaks.

Maloney even stated as much today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad